• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nickname censorship

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • Do you think they should continue this? What changes do you think should be made to make this feature better? Would you rather they did away with it completely?

I don't mind the censorship, but they are doing it wrong. The reason is because some nicknames get censored and can't be used at all. Like, you can't use Violet because viol means rape. It makes no sense to me. I either think they should just get rid of it, or make a white list for common names that are okay. I really think this should be improved more before they continue to censor 'bad' things. I can understand their reasons, but it's almost like they just slapped it on and didn't bother to think through the consequences of it at all. :/

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I do think they have gone a bit overboard with nicknames so they could bring it back a little. Basic censorship is fine but like the example you gave isn't really necessary.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I've only had a problem with it once. Other than that, it's never caught me. I do agree it's over the top. Basic filtering seems better than targeting every single swear out there in every single language. It goes to far, and it makes it hard for nicknames that are just fine and not considered to be bad or anything. Problem is, I HAVE seen names that shouldn't even be a thing. Another thing is that some people have created ways to bypass it. I won't say the way they've done the names, but you probably get my point. It's the people who abused it that ended up triggering the censorship filter in the first place. They trade pokemon with swear words for kicks and giggles to piss someone off, not even knowing what it does to Nintendo. The worst part is you can't keep people from doing it. They'll find ways to bypass the censorship. What I don't understand is what the hell they are trying to gain from doing such things. :/

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I think their censorship need to be more lenient. It seems to only detect the letters when together even if they are inside another word instead of being just that word. So names like Viola, Violet, etc. Get censored because of a word inside another word.

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
    Years
  • I thought they did update the censorship to be more lenient? I have Pokemon named Violet and Spike, which I know were blocked before.

But yeah, I'm anti-censorship. I just don't see the point in not allowing us to use certain words. There are usually letters or symbols we can use to bypass the censor anyway. It's just annoying.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I thought they did update the censorship to be more lenient? I have Pokemon named Violet and Spike, which I know were blocked before.
    Yea, they did make the censorship more lenient, but otherwise I think this current censorship we have is good and nobody really notices it until they get a bit naughty with names.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I would find it funny if they still censor the word "Cock" when cock would usually mean the male species of birds. Peacock. There's nothing wrong with it right?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Never had a problem with it on Pokemon, but censorship has been a problem before in other games. I remember a game where you couldn't say "E-Mail", and that's just ridiculous. Therefore I am anti-censorship.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I always wanted to know, why bother implement this system to keep nicknames "in check" if you can't even see nicknames in online battles? I'd say pick one, nickname "censorship" system but you can see nicknames online, or no system but no nicknames seen in online battles.

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
    Years
  • Also, they could just allow us to rename traded Pokemon. Potentially offending people wouldn't be as big of a deal if those people weren't stuck with the names.

Of course, it would be great if they let us do that anyway. It annoys me when I Wonder Trade and get a Pokemon I want to keep, but I can't read the name because it's in Japanese or something.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Also, they could just allow us to rename traded Pokemon. Potentially offending people wouldn't be as big of a deal if those people weren't stuck with the names.

Of course, it would be great if they let us do that anyway. It annoys me when I Wonder Trade and get a Pokemon I want to keep, but I can't read the name because it's in Japanese or something.

Or a stupid name like "dumbo64", which is what my brother named most of his pokemon.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Also, they could just allow us to rename traded Pokemon. Potentially offending people wouldn't be as big of a deal if those people weren't stuck with the names.

This. This so much, I would even pay for it, like perhaps something like heartscales.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I do think they should get rid of the nickname censors, or at leat use them for trading only like at first. Or as someone earlier on had said, be able to rename traded mons.

Years
  • I do find the nickname censors annoying, and I can understand how others feel about it. What I did learn from it though was all the odd curse words from different languages that I didn't know actually existed.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Tbh it was pretty dumb. The entire issue with Confagrigous back in black/white showed how much thought they put in it.

The weird thing is, normal nicknames are banned cause they contain foreign swear words in them, yet several Dutch ones aren't blocked. A+ gamefreak.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I'm not really even sure why they bother. The censor blocks innocent names because they have cuss words in them, and at the same time kids and very immature adults are getting around the censor just fine. All you have to do is do a couple Wonder Trades or look at GTS listings to see offensive nicknames.

They should just quit with it altogether. I don't know any judge that would side with an overzealous parent complaining about people misnaming their Pokemon, especially since it says online content is unrated right on the box.

Last edited:
    Back