• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your favorite fan theories?

Syntthetix

[color=ddccec]Porygon Programmer[/color]
Years
I'm always curious to see what fan theories are out there in the Pokemon world, so I figured I'd ask around here. Out of the many theories that exist, what are some of your favorites?
Maybe we'll even find some connections between the theories...

Syntthetix

[color=ddccec]Porygon Programmer[/color]
Years
Just browsing fan theories on reddit and came across this interesting tidbit.

Not sure what to make of it yet, but it seems plausible.

Huh, that's pretty interesting. I can definitely see that idea being viable, even considering that Metagross is used by other trainers and Beldum is found in the wild in later generations. As the OP said, it would be interesting to see if there's a pokemon that isn't mechanical that looks similar to Beldum or Metagross in Gen 8 this year or next year. I'm gonna have to refresh my memory on the Genesect-Kabutops theory again after that one.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
One that comes to mind is that Butterfree and Venomoth are switched. Look at Venonat and Butterfree for instance; you could see them being related more than Venonat and Venomoth.

I can't quite see that Metagross theory as being valid given stuff like, as said, Beldum being found in the wild. And then there's other object Pokemon out there like Magnemite; not all are necessarily created by a specific company. Certainly food for thought though.

Years
One of my favorites is still the theory that Ditto are just failed attempts at cloning Mew.

Fan Theories Wiki said:
Mew and Ditto share almost identical colors for their normal and shiny variants, which is pink and blue, respectively.

Mew and Ditto share a common weight of 8.8 lbs.

Mew and Ditto are both genderless. Both species are capable of asexual reproduction.

Mew and Ditto's base stats are leveled across the board.

Mew and Ditto are the only Pokemon who can naturally learn "Transform". Technically, both can learn any move.

Mew holds all of the DNA of all known Pokemon, while Ditto can essentially breed with every single Pokemon, aside from select legendaries.

Ditto's appearance as a scientific blob.

Mewtwo's bio states its the only successful clone of Mew, alluding to more than one attempts.

It was implied that Mewtwo was created on Cinnabar Island, where Ditto can be found and caught there.

Mewtwo, who was suppose to be superior to Mew, lacked the abiltiy to alter its genetic make-up and transform into any Pokemon in existence, which Ditto's entire traits revolve around.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
My favorite fan theory although highly unlikely for a children's video game, is that Kanto was in a war and that's why its Pokemon are so goddamn prominent everywhere except Unova and Orre, as they are more isolated. That would also explain why its nearest neighbor, Johto, seems to be the most decimated, with most of its dex non existent in its own region and it being less industrial. Kanto is like a global power with its influence. Sounds like a Farfetch'd theory but it makes Kanto look bad for once instead of the in game canon where there is only endless gushing of it so good enough for me.

Last edited:
Years
favorite one must be the cubone = kanghaskan's kid. if i actually think about it, it makes sense appearance-wise but not type-wise.
can't forget the theory where gengar is clefable's shadow and haunter + empty pokeball = voltorb

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
The Gengar Clefable theory, where Gengar is the shadow of Clefable.
Gengar and Clefable have, through trademarking and beta art, been proven to have been some of the earliest Pokémon made. (Coincidentally, they are also some of the first Pokémon when you list the original 151 by index number, with Gengar appearing shortly after Clefable.) Also, Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot of Pokémon (instead of Pikachu), so it was going to be a pretty important Pokémon.
Gengar is known as the "Shadow Pokémon", but what exactly is it a shadow of? Take a look at a picture of Clefable, and then one of Gengar. Their body shapes are almost exactly alike, with the only major difference being that Clefable has a curl for its hair and tail, while Gengar has spikes. However, the shadow of an upright spiral like Clefable's tail would only be a line, or a spike.

latest

It's just such an intriguing theory to think about. I never ever considered the two being similar, until this theory popped up.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Despite kinda being debunked in Pokemon Generations, my favorite theory has always been that the legendary beasts were eeveelutions before Ho-oh revived them.

Back