• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Zoroark: Unova's Answer to Lucario

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What did you think of Zoroark (and Zorua)? They were supposed to be fifth generation's version of Lucario (or at least that's the impression they gave off) but turns out they didn't really do much or attract much of a fanbase.

Did you use yours? What did you think of them as Pokemon - worth it? Was there any chance they could have lived up to Lucario? Think about how they appeared in-game and their lore. What did you think about finding Zoroark in the forest... or RIGHT near N's castle?

Share your thoughts! C:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I never really got the connection between Lucario and Zoroark like a lot of people seem to, what am I not seeing here?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I dunno, I don't really see the Lucario thing either. But I actually really like Zoroark and used it in my BW2 playthrough and thought it was pretty fun, and I wish we had the opportunity to catch it properly in BW.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I love Zorua and Zoroark. Their designs are great, and their Ability is super fun and unique. It's a shame that team preview ruins it, and that Zoroark is a bit frail, but I still love them regardless.

I think Zoroark could have garnered a bigger fanbase if BW didn't release at such a weird time (right at the end of the DS's lifespan). It didn't even really get a chance to be featured in Smash because by the time the next Smash was released, they had already moved on to featuring and focusing on gen 6. But I do feel it has its fair share of fans; it's definitely a shame it doesn't get more love, though. I think it's sadly a testament to how often people overlook gen 5...

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    That said though, I feel like I'm a bigger fan of Zorua a lot more than Zoroark. Don't get me wrong, Zoroark is cool, but its pre-evolution is a lot more preferable and I'm just not that much of a fan of Zoroark's design.

I agree with this. It's a shame that it's so hard to get Zorua in Black version without migrating my Gen IV event Celebi - I'm not willing to give up the opportunity to battle Giovanni in HeartGold every time just for one little fox.

Overall I really liked Zoroark, although its ability started to get old real fast, to the point that I would never send it out first as I wanted to actually be able to see it.

Years
  • I remember getting Lucario vibes when Zoroark was first revealed, and I was like "it's probably going to be the 5th Gen mascot". Then I discovered it didn't really get the same popularity as Lucario, and that's when I discovered don't always trust a Pokemon's design as a way to determine it being overly-popular to the audience.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I never understood why Zoroark was so heavily promoted. There were so many cool Pokemon in Gen 5 Pokemon like Haxorus, Hydreigon, The Musketeer trio and in terms of design Serperior...and they decided to focus all the attention on Zoroark.

Whilst Zorua is cute there was no reason to make the line a borderline event Pokemon in BW. Whilst Lucario was overhyped in Gen 4 it was easily gettable in the Sinnoh games, it was and still is a good Pokemon and is second only to Garchomp in Cynthia's team.

Zoroark isn't even the best Gen 5 Dark type, it's design is ridiculous, it has a boring mono typing and it's only standout quality is its ability. If Game Freak chose to push something else as the mascot of Gen 5 the Gen may get more love.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    For me Zoroark was kinda a letdown. It wasn't exactly SUPER strong (it was still UU iirc in BW/B2W2 though!) It lacked an exciting hook. Yes it was found in a remote little area but there was no real NPC involvement with it. Zorua yeah in Castelia, but Zoroark not really. Maybe if you journeyed through Lostlorn Forest (so make it 10x larger) and find Zoroark there instead after a long journey. The way it was NOBODY could get lost so finding Zoroark there was... meaningless lol

Seeing Zoroark in B2W2 at N's Castle on the other hand was super cool though.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • What did you think of Zoroark (and Zorua)?
    Actually, I agree with colours and Aron Man.Zorua is cute and Zoroark is Cool.
    But there's one problem.It's shame how to get Both Zorua and Zoroark in BW must have Event Pokemon.

Did you use yours?
    Zoroark in W2 is my last Resort Pokemon

Back