• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Are you impressed so far?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • You know what? I never noticed this but you're totally right, Normal/Dark route 1 'mons are really common. Alolan Rattata, Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Purrloin, Zorua.. It's like the bipedal Fire/Fighting starters, a tired trend that's repeating itself for no good reason. Lets hope they don't make a Dark type Bidoof next. :p

I know right? Like I said if we get yet another Normal/Dark version of a previous route 1 mammal I will be ridiculously disappointed. And I remember when I saw Gigantamaxing in that leak earlier on that predicted almost everything I though that one was the most fake thing on that leak until they actually revealed it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • With Sun and Moon, we only got the middle stage evolutions in early October

:o Really? I stopped following SM news at like around the middle of the year until I dunno 1 month before the game's release. So I somehow thought the middle evo starters of that gen came earlier. I guess we can wait for the starter evos for this gen then.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Will I be buying this game? Yes. Have I been impressed with what I've seen so far? No, not really.

Whilst I can work around the limited Pokedex (I still have the old games after all) the graphics look disappointing for the jump to the Switch. It barely looks better than Let's Go. The graphics are by no means bad but I expected a little better for the first mainline Pokemon Switch game.

The only new revealed Pokemon I like so far so far are the starters and Morpeko. I imagine I will like a good portion of the new Pokemon and Galarian forms when they are finally revealed.

Team Yell look straight up awful. Worst evil team since Team Flare who at least had a solid leader in Lysandre.

The region looks good so far.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm unimpressed so far. I have a feeling I'll still end up giving the games a try anyway, as I haven't really gotten burned by Pokémon yet, but every announcement that is made seems to further curb my enthusiasm.

After the excessive hand-holding and cutscenes in gen 7, I didn't have high expectations for gen 8. I hoped that maybe things would improve on that front, and maybe something like the Battle Frontier would return, but I wasn't optimistic. But at least, I reasoned, the core elements of Pokémon would still be there, and I could have fun exploring and battling with my Pokémon.

Dexit made me angry, and I think it's cast a shadow over every bit of new news that has come out since then. I can't watch a trailer without scouring the background for some of my favorite Pokémon, and I have to rewatch to actually enjoy the new features. Moreover, while I actually like a bunch of the new Pokémon, I don't want to get attached to any of them, as there's no guarantee they'll appear in future entries. And the fact that the dexit approach seems to be a new business standard for GF going forward doesn't help.

Without the other issues, I would be happy with the game's presentation/look. Sure, the graphics aren't great, but they aren't terrible. I normally turn off animations anyway to speed things up (though I think I heard a rumor that we might not be able to do that this gen?), and I don't expect cutting-edge perfection from a Pokémon game. Customization seems nice, and I wouldn't be nearly as bothered by the curry dex if it didn't feel like we were sacrificing actual Pokémon in favor of food recipes (even though that may not actually be the trade off that's happening).

I've had gens I've loved despite minimal hype, and I'm hoping maybe these games will surprise me. But between a generalized state of Pokémon burn out since late gen 6 and a lack of promising news for gen 8, I'm not optimistic. Still, I suspect I'll play the games enough for them to be worth the admission price for me, and I could really use something to look forward to in mid November. It's hard to see my favorite series decline, though, and it's starting to be hard for me to deny that this hasn't probably been a trend for a while.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • There have been a few things I've been genuinely impressed with, such as camping, an increase in trainer customization, and some of the Galar forms (mostly Weezing). But as a whole, I haven't really been all that impressed with what's been shown so far.

I've been kinda annoyed with the whole national dex thing, and because of that, it has me rewatching each new trailer that drops just to find any Pokemon that made the cut. I typically only use the new Pokemon each gen, but it kinda sours me a bit to know I may not see some of them again, or at least for a long time. Plus my poor living dex...

Gyms are gyms, Dynamax/Gigantamax is just glorified mega evolution mixed with Z-Moves (all of which got cut for this mechanic), animation quality on the Pokemon is 3DS-era, npc movement is still bad, etc. I don't expect Breath of the Wild or anything in terms of quality, but something to say "hey, you can't do this on the 3DS!"

I feel like I'll still end up getting the game at some point, but for now, it's definitely not at launch. Pokemon has been the same for the longest time, and I was hoping that the first mainline Switch titles would really shake things up for the first time since Gen 5. There's still time before launch, so maybe there's something that'll make me want these games. Because right now, there's been nothing shown that makes me scream out "I gotta have these."

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Dexit is not even too big of a deal to me since I was never much of collector, and despite that, I haven't been impressed with what I've seen so far. For the first "full" home console game, I was kinda expecting a bit more. Its just a bit too familiar. I'm part of the group that was hoping the team at Game Freak would experiment more and not stick to the same tried and true formula, but they decided to go the safe route.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I've been partly impressed and partly cautious at the same time. Granted, it doesn't have much to do with Dexit even though I was disappointed a bit when hearing the omission, but mainly I'm using Pokémon Bank as the way to transfer 'mons to other versions (like from X to Y), and it'll be the same with Pokémon Home for me.

Personally I find Galar region to be breathtaking, Dynamax feature caught my radar due to being kaiju-fest, psyched when knowing that character customization is bound to come back, being able to deploy some of my Pokémon for jobs, and I like some new Pokémon that's showcased there. If I'd make the decision on whether to get Sword/Shield based on limited information that I know yet, it would be a slightly yes, but I'll prepare the Sword (version) first before moving onward to Galar region. If I like it, then I'll put my Shield on, too.

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'm indecisive about it. I like a lot of different aspects about he game.
    I do like some of the Pokemon reveals, even the new Evolutions intrigue me, but I'm kind of like this with every new Pokemon game release. So, yes, knowing me, I will probably buy it, just to see what other features will be put in there.

I am hyped for, however, the new layout of how everything will be perceived. vvvvvvvvv
    Are you impressed so far?

Last edited:

The Bellossom boi

I like this game and I dislike it (due to Dynamax feature) in equal way. But I don't justify it as a solid Gen. VIII game though, like the DS ones, that will be the best of the series.

Last edited:
    Back