• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen hg/ss team suggestions

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I started a new Soul Silver playthrough last night. Started with Totodile and am planning to use Sentret/Furret + the Mareep line, but that still leaves 3 slots to fill. Not entirely sure what to fill those spots with, and it can fun to use what other people suggest, provided I still have all the things necessary to beat the game.

Would prefer some less commonly used Pokemon for suggestions, since this is hardly my first playthrough of HG/SS (I think this'll be my 4th), and anything that requires trading to evolve is a no-go.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    How about Heracross, Xatu and Sandslash?

Heracross can be obtained by headbutting things, Sandshrew can be obtained in the Game Corner - and since this is Gen IV we actually get a fun game for once. Natu is Ruins of Alph but while it's not available straight away, you can get there later after some backtracking.

I think this should cover every necessary HM (including Fly), have everything be available still in Johto and shouldn't have a lot of blatant weaknesses.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • How about Heabutt tree Pokemon like Heracross/Pinsir? Heracross may not evolve, but it does have a pretty good moveset in Gen 4.

Years
  • yet another +1 for Heracross here since he's my 2nd fave pokemon of all time.

gonna shoutout Crobat as well. fast Fly guy that can poison and confuse enemies eyoo.

lastly, how about onix? like the one you get in a trade in violet city? levels up fast and has pretty solid defense. could be amazing if used right no?

Years
  • Yep, Heracross is solid! Feraligatr, Furret 🤢, Ampharos, Heracross, Nidoking/Nidoqueen would be a decent choice and can be ran as mixed attackers and lastly, Espeon? This way your team has a good mix of physical and special attackers and good coverage. I would swap Furret for Pidgeot so you have a flier + a ground immunity plus keen eye can be nice too. Strength and Rock Smash can be put on Heracross and Nidoking as well.

I am currently plaing SS as well and my team is, Quilava, Ampharos, Pidgeot, Tentacruel (will swap for Dratini soon since I just beat Pryce), Gyarados, and Eevee and I am going to have Eevee evolve into Espeon.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    ok so totally don't use heracross, got it 😜

Natu/Xatu sounds good too

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    As opposed to the originals SS/HG allows you to get Misdreavus earlier. It doesn't evolve until the postgame but I suppose it does alright, being a Ghost type and all. You can also catch wild Steelix in those games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • love that you're using furret, excellent choice. natu/xatu could be fun, but you're going to be without stab psychic moves until level 47/59 respectively, unless you count future sight and that's still a ways away and the psychic tm is in the kanto portion of the game (from what i remember, i don't think you can get it earlier?). i'll +384 heracross too lol it's a fun pokemon to use. if you'd still like a psychic type, i recommend girafarig. i'm using one in emerald currently and really liking it, plus it has access to electric moves and shadow ball. it learns psychic moves way earlier than the natu line too, so that's a plus lol. it's cute too and won't share weaknesses with your furret, even tho they're both normal types bc of its psychic typing as well.

best of luck no matter what you choose! making teams is the most fun part of pokemon to me. i'm sure you'll have a blast with whatever you choose.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Totodile and Mareep are good choices but, why Sentret/Furret?
    In most playthroughs I try, to at least some degree, use Pokemon I've not used before just to make it a little more interesting. Furret kinda just popped into my head and I was like "hey why not"

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • In most playthroughs I try, to at least some degree, use Pokemon I've not used before just to make it a little more interesting. Furret kinda just popped into my head and I was like "hey why not"

That's fair. Just in my opinion there's so many better choices. That's all.

Since I don't know which mons you've used in the past I'll just throw out my suggestion for a team. Feel free to make adjustments as needed.

Typhlosion
    Ampharos
    Heracross
    Crobat or Fearow
    Lapras
    Espeon

Back