• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your most disliked aspect of ROM hacking?

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
  • Testing...

You spend hours compiling scripts, code, inserting maps, sprites, tiles. Then you realize you need to test your own game from the begging to to the end. It gets worse when your project has a lot of content to test.

That's why I love beta testers. I have no patience to test even my own stuff.

supershadow64ds

Confused Noob Programmer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Having extremely creative ideas and plans, drawing out regions and plotting it down, then realizing it'd be a lot more fun to play than put together.

Years
  • I'll answer from the perspective of an outsider looking in: the players who don't understand how tedious it is to make a romhack and constantly bugs the creators for updates.

"Hey when's this gonna be finished??"

"What's taking so long!? We need the new beta now"

Thankfully it isn't that rampant anymore, but I just wish everyone would understand that it takes time (a LOT of time) to finish a full game. Even more so when 9 times out of 10 it's just one dude doing everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

SʅaʋZaɕк

ZackyMohammad24
    Years
  • Scripting.
    I'm not really good when it comes to learning something complicated, even until now i couldn't create simple script without script document.

Years
  • not a hacker, but as an outsider i often get annoyed at the sort of paler colors used in hacks (like in liquid crystal), but i don't think that necessarily makes a game bad (because, for example, dark rising uses that type of tileset and idk why but it felt like it fit a lot more into the game).

Years
  • and i know it's a lot of work for these people doing each tile, so i'm not trying to put anyone down that does that because a lot of the time romhacks are made of a one-man (or woman) team.

Years
  • Tedious and repetitive actions, like adding numerous new Pokémon or items one by one. You just get bored of it and it feels unsatisfying.

Years
  • Tedious and repetitive actions, like adding numerous new Pokémon or items one by one. You just get bored of it and it feels unsatisfying.

Probably the main reason why so many hacks are left unfinished. I personally wouldn't have the discipline to do edit 10+ trainers on 20+ routes.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    Maybe Scripting also...... i have my scripter(AKA my brother) so i don't do the script....

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    What I like the least is spritework. Beyond not being artistically inclined, I just can't be bothered to use those pixel editing software. I'd rather ask someone who's better at it to just get it done quickly and neatly and give them the credit; win-win.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    I'll start with my favourite part - mapping! I know how to insert tiles and make some nice looking palettes and have a good sense of good looking and playable maps.

My biggest hatred and what's ultimately kills my hacks is the tedious testing and bug squashing. If things worked first time, if tools didn't corrupt data / ROMs so much it would be much nicer.

That was my problem 10 or so years ago. I'm hoping now that I'm older and have a proper high end set up that I won't encounter so many problems!

Years
  • I'll start with my favourite part - mapping! I know how to insert tiles and make some nice looking palettes and have a good sense of good looking and playable maps.

My biggest hatred and what's ultimately kills my hacks is the tedious testing and bug squashing. If things worked first time, if tools didn't corrupt data / ROMs so much it would be much nicer.

That was my problem 10 or so years ago. I'm hoping now that I'm older and have a proper high end set up that I won't encounter so many problems!

you look for your own bugs? you just have to say "looking for beta testers" on your post and you'll get a flurry of folks willing to do it for you. i can understand if you mean the job itself of fixing them tho.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    you look for your own bugs? you just have to say "looking for beta testers" on your post and you'll get a flurry of folks willing to do it for you. i can understand if you mean the job itself of fixing them tho.

Yeah, I like to play test it as I go through making changes.

Since the above post of mine I've got myself back into scripting and with XSE and the amounts of resources around, scripting has gotten so much easier. It's made ROM hacking far more enjoyable than it was ten years ago!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    It's definitely bug testing, all the constant patching, finding things that don't work that should, repatching again, making multiple files with multiple saves, to compare and repeat the same set of events multiple times.

With good tiles everything else is relatively easy and quick by comparison.

__fred__40

fred
    Years
  • For me it used to be making tilesets and "building" tilemaps, that was just ... not for me, I couldn't do and I sucked at it, no matter how hard I tried
    But now thanks to the CFRU and HMA I don't have to worry about that anymore.
    As for the rest goes there's nothing that I really dislike, there are a lot of things I don't understand (ASM, pixel art, music editing) but instead of feeling bad about my lack of knowledge, I get excited trying to learn these stuff:)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Finding software that is not considered malware. Also different ROM editors that aren't compatible with each other (like Gen 3 Tools and ROMs that have used CFRU).

Zygoat

Mimikyu enjoyer
    Years
  • To be honest, all of it. It's extremely hard to get into and Pokémon Essentials has closed the gap in quality and accuracy to the games considerably. Combine that with Essentials' way more user-friendly methods of doing things, and it's safe to say I'm done with hacking and never coming back. I could barely do anything with hacking without the game eventually becoming unplayable. The only advantage hacks have over fangames now is that they can be played on your phone with emulators

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    just chiming in romhacking isn't that difficult comparatively especially with recent tools, like HMA.
    The only hard part is when it comes to battle scripting or asm or using C, but that's only required if you're adding new mechanics,
    or making major changes to existing ones.

And like anything else, can be learned with time and effort.

but to be on topic, I guess I'd say sometimes not being able to enjoy your own hack as much as others because of perspective, and how much work put in.

Back