• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Team Galactic vs. Team Rocket

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Spr_HGSS_Archer.png
    Spr_DP_Cyrus.png

So in Generation IV, we saw two evil teams arise. One had already had the experience of being villains while the others were brand new to a brand new region. We have Team Rocket and Team Galactic, both who have endless dreams of domination and abducting Pokemon. Team Rocket has stuck around longer, since the very beginning and their plot is to steal Pokemon off the innocent.

Team Galactic's plot however is far deeper. Cyrus's goal was summoning Dialga and Palkia in order to destroy the universe so that he may start it again as its god, ultimately to create a world without spirit.

Battle-wise, they both had a fair appearance of the same Pokemon. Team Rocket used Pokemon such as Rattatas and Zubats along with Koffings while Galactic had common appearances of Glameows, Puruglys and Stunkys. Who did you think was a harder challenge to face, whether it be the grunts or the big cheeses? (the commanders.)

Which one of these teams did you like better, and why?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I never actually reflected on it, but Galactic had the same goal as Lance had in the manga Pokémon Adventures, didn't he?

Overall, the grim goal and plot involvement of Galactic in the Sinnoh games was far more interesting than anything Team Rocket did in Johto or Kanto imo. However, as a general team, TR is much more fun. Their fashion style is cooler and their "imma steal your pokemon, punk!" is a lot more enjoyable than the (brainwashed?) identical Galactic grunts.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I like Team Rocket 😁

They were just generally evil, if you know what I mean, and Team Rocket actually took over an entire city (Goldenrod), unlike Team Galactic, which only partially took over a city.

Years
  • team rocket only gets points because of how much better their uniforms are compared to TG. that aside, everything else leans towards Galactic being the better team.

giovanni may be like the mafia boss or something, but cyrus is literally mentally insane with an unhinged god complex. he doesn't just wanna kill those who get in his way, he wants to wipe out every fiber of the f*cking universe, just because he wants to rebuild it in his own image. did i mention he uses a crobat in his team?

team galactic also gets points for having mars which imo is still the hottest evil team commander there is the challenging commanders, each with their own signature pokemon. seriously, having to face off against purugly and skuntank at the same time on spear pillar was a nightmare for younger me.

aside from all that, nostalgia bias as well personally since they were the first ever evil team i faced off against lol.

Years
  • Cyrus was definitely the scarier-looking boss, but galactic was still as a whole my least favorite team. Rocket is more iconic to me, and I find Giovanni really cool. So my vote is obvious!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Are we including the original incarnation of TR, before it got disbanded? Because I liked the old mafia style they had going on back then. The new reformed version never had the same impact on me. Originally they were not interfering with your business: you were interfering with theirs. That's what I like the most about them. Every other teams was always the other way around but usually with an insane leader to boot.

Maybe it's because I played so many other Pokemon games where the team leader was an insane weirdo who tried to push their agenda. Allthewhile I'm still on my first playthrough of Platinum and since Team Galactic just does what the other revised (gen 3+) teams do it doesn't really have much of an impact on me?

Back