• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

shoulders back! chin up! chest out!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    fake it until you make it

Seriously I've been doing this for years. I just pretend by doing all the things they say you should do to come off confident. Firm handshakes, looking in them in the eye, standing up straight, keeping my posture in an open stance. After awhile it becomes more natural

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't say I understand all these "fake it till you make it" posts. It sounds more like deluding yourself and hoping that by some miracle something will happen.

You know what actually builds confidence? Having a fucking real reason(s) to be confident.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I can't say I understand all these "fake it till you make it" posts. It sounds more like deluding yourself and hoping that by some miracle something will happen.

You know what actually builds confidence? Having a ****ing real reason(s) to be confident.

Hum no Fake it till you make it is a way to say do what you have to do even if you aren't sure of yourself or doubt about your capacities. The more you do it, the easier it is. Like, I got a job once and I was freaking out because I din't thought I would got it and I was asking myself how the heck I would be able to do it right. I could just refuse it and stay home. But I decided to fake a confidence in my job, trying my best and telling myself that I can do it even if I didn't really believed it. Eventually, I realized that I was able to do it, I got a real confidence and at the end of the summer I knew I was able to do this job right. If I didn't "fake" it at first, I would never get this experience. I got the job back the next summer and I didn't have to fake it then,, because I knew I was competent enough for this job.

I am curious about "having a real reason to be confident". What does that mean? Waiting for a reason to pop up in our life, or feeling bad about ourself because we don't find a reason...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hum no Fake it till you make it is a way to say do what you have to do even if you aren't sure of yourself or doubt about your capacities. The more you do it, the easier it is. Like, I got a job once and I was freaking out because I din't thought I would got it and I was asking myself how the heck I would be able to do it right. I could just refuse it and stay home. But I decided to fake a confidence in my job, trying my best and telling myself that I can do it even if I didn't really believed it. Eventually, I realized that I was able to do it, I got a real confidence and at the end of the summer I knew I was able to do this job right. If I didn't "fake" it at first, I would never get this experience. I got the job back the next summer and I didn't have to fake it then,, because I knew I was competent enough for this job.

I am curious about "having a real reason to be confident". What does that mean? Waiting for a reason to pop up in our life, or feeling bad about ourself because we don't find a reason...
    To me, confidence should stem from knowing for certain that you have the skills/abilities/knowledge/whatever to handle whatever scenario it is you're getting into. That's what I mean by "having a real reason".

Some of the posts here so far seem to be saying that to become confident, one simply has to pretend or act like they have confidence/are confident. But why feel confident for no reason? There's no basis for that "confidence", so is it really confidence then? Are you not just kidding/deluding yourself then? It's no better than blind faith if you ask me, and that's something people should stop doing, believing things without proof.

Doing what you have to do isn't really a matter of having confidence or not. You don't have a choice in the matter, so whether one likes it or not or whether one feels they can do it or not, you have to give it a shot regardless. You (and marz I think too) are right though that (sometimes) the only way to build confidence is to take the plunge and get the experience, and that the experience will, hopefully, build your confidence--but that also kind of just reinforces my point really, the experience is the "real reason" to have confidence. It's ok to go into something and acknowledge that you have no confidence in your ability to do it, and continue to acknowledge that until you do have reason (the experience or whatever other thing(s) that will qualify as proof) to be confident in yourself.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • To me, confidence should stem from knowing for certain that you have the skills/abilities/knowledge/whatever to handle whatever scenario it is you're getting into. That's what I mean by "having a real reason".

Some of the posts here so far seem to be saying that to become confident, one simply has to pretend or act like they have confidence/are confident. But why feel confident for no reason? There's no basis for that "confidence", so is it really confidence then? Are you not just kidding/deluding yourself then? It's no better than blind faith if you ask me, and that's something people should stop doing, believing things without proof.

Doing what you have to do isn't really a matter of having confidence or not. You don't have a choice in the matter, so whether one likes it or not or whether one feels they can do it or not, you have to give it a shot regardless. You (and marz I think too) are right though that (sometimes) the only way to build confidence is to take the plunge and get the experience, and that the experience will, hopefully, build your confidence--but that also kind of just reinforces my point really, the experience is the "real reason" to have confidence. It's ok to go into something and acknowledge that you have no confidence in your ability to do it, and continue to acknowledge that until you do have reason (the experience or whatever other thing(s) that will qualify as proof) to be confident in yourself.

I can see your point - and I find it interesting for sure. I agree that "real" confience is better than a fake one because it's more solid to rely on. But I just wonder how you can build a "real" confidence without "cheating" it a little bit in the beginning. Someone with no confidence will just stay at this level if they doesn't try to build one or jump head first in any situation that can upgrade their confidence. I do agree that having no confidence shouldn't stop you for trying as it can still be a good experience in the end, but that's easier to say than to do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I can't say I understand all these "fake it till you make it" posts. It sounds more like deluding yourself and hoping that by some miracle something will happen.

You know what actually builds confidence? Having a fucking real reason(s) to be confident.

By just taking actions to appear confident you make it more natural for yourself to actually be confident. It becomes easier over time and by the end it should make you realize it was foolish to not be confident in the first place. For me personally I took this route because I was so down on myself I couldn't find a reason to be confident. I wasn't trying to delude myself or hope a miracle would happen by pretending I just needed a way to go about and have normal interactions. Doing it has slowly made me realize I am someone who has many good qualities that I can bring into most situations.

I think faking it until you make it is a commonly used tactic for people with a lot of self doubt or low self esteem because it's harder for them to believe they're good enough at something to be confident.

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    idk i normally just have to stop overthinking things, put on some music i enjoy or something

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    feign it. if i'm having a terrible day self-esteem wise i'll just pretend and act as if i'm having a good one. on the inside i feel shite but on the outside i look like i'm feelin' myself ? i mean, it does nout to make me feel better, but at least it stops other people from asking awkward questions.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I eat chocolate and make my boyfriend tell me I'm beautiful. It usually helps (8

Back