• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious What if...? - The dinosaurs never went extinct

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024

What if...? - The dinosaurs never went extinct

TOPIC: The dinosaurs never went extinct because Earth was never hit with an asteroid. How do you think Earth would look in present day? Do you think humans would be able to live along side the dinosaurs?

TOPIC WARNINGS: None

*Please make sure you read over the RULES for posting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    As soon as the tools are made, humans would eventually be hunting them for food or for purposes of non necessity.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Well, I'm pretty sure dinosaurs would have wiped us out, or we would have killed them, or put them in zoos. There's honestly no way that we'd coexist with dinosaurs peacefully.

Years
  • I don't think we would live alongside eachother alas. I think had dinosaurs not gone extinct the world today would actually be a place without people in it. Early mammals were around during the time of the dinosaurs, but we never got very big. Our ancestor the morganucodon was a modest anteater-looking critter about the size of a small cat, and easy prey for dinosaurs. Had the asteroid not wiped out most of life on the planet the morganucodontids wouldn't have stood much of a chance at competing for the planet's resources against all the stronger species. Their population wouldn't have been able to proliferate into numbers large enough to become a dominant life form and continue to adapt to new environments and evolve into primates and humans, not with dinosaurs still the top predator. It's not until after dinosaurs are gone that the mammal population begins to really soar and diversify. So I think in the alternate reality where dinosaurs still walked the earth it would also be a world without us. Which is almost a whole seperate "What If" scenario.

Years
  • Dinosaurs are huge though? Would bullets even hurt them? Their skin looks thick.
    Assuming yes, we'd likely be hunting/catching them like we do with today's animals.

Years
    • Seen today
    It likely wouldn't just be firearms, since humans historically are great at creating things for specific tasks. If it was a coexistence, there would be something specifically invented for dinosaurs.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    As VoM said, I feel like there wouldn't be humans as we know it, if dinosaurs didn't go extinct.

The Disney movie "The Good Dinosaur" soft-explores this, actually. The comet never strikes, so dinosaurs keep living and evolving. They eventually learn the art of farming and language, but they don't really build coherent societies or cities like us social mammals do, nor do they seem to have a written language. Meanwhile, they do portrait humans as basically primitive cave-people even though it is 2015. Mammals (and humans) could never evolve to the levels we see in our world, because the dinosaurs were the dominant kind of lifeforms on the planet.

I honestly imagine it would be something like that, but without even cave-people having evolved.

Back