• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been into ROM hacking?

Years
  • be it as a fan who plays fan games or someone who has been working on creating your own game, how long has it been for you? what was the first ROM hack you tried/heard about?

shiny gold was one of my first, like many people! I then tried out others like liquid crystal, flora sky, and naranja. been around 14 years now!

Years
  • I started hacking as soon as I found about it. The first hack I played was Glazed in 2019. I was hugely inspired by it, followed by Gaia and Orange Islands. These three are legendary to me. I started work on two projects in August 2019 [these two :3], but I lost motivitation and just stopped. Then I came back in early 2020, and I am working on a project I hope people will enjoy.
    That's pretty much my history. Thanks to everyone at PC, especially Lucubi, Spherical Ice, and kalarie.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I first heard about romhacks around 2007 or 2008 when my brother played shiny gold on his psp. 2009 or 2010 i heard about Pokemon bloody diamond, played it myself and enjoyed it.
    Around 2013 i thought about creating my own romhack and found this forum when i searched for resources. Last year i finally finished a romhack after i reduced my goals to creating a simple QoL hack using Leons rombase.
    I plan to release a hack with new story and maps using the gen 3 decompilations before 2030 ends.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • I discovered about romhacks back in 2008. The first romhack I played was Pokemon Naranja (Actually I never finished it because I gave up trying to defeat the first trainer with an illegal Vileplume. Who had the idea of giving that Pokemon to the first trainer you fight?). I started my own romhack in 2010. It was some kind of aberration QoL GBC romhack. I gave up and retuned 3 years later with an improved idea for my GBC romhack. Then a year later I moved to GBA romhacking. I will retire from this hobby once I finish my romhack.

Years
  • I began to play some rom hack pokemon in 2014, my first let's play was on Pokemon Hollow Mysteries and after Pokemon Ruby Destiny Life of Guardian! I already saw a gameplay of Pokemon Sirius/Altair in YouTube in japanese in 2012/2013 but I was too young to understand and find the name of the Rom Hack.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • I've been playing ROM hacks since about 2007 or so. Brown was the very first one I played, I believe, followed soon after by Shiny Gold and Naranja. Countless others have followed, and I've been in love with em ever since!

Years
  • I'm not sure how long, but I do remember that the first hack I ever played was Pokemon Naranja when it first came out, followed by Ash Gray.

Only recently did I release my own hack and to my surprise, people seem to like it!

PiaCRT

Orange Dev
    Years
  • Naranja was the first hack I played too, this was back in 2007 on a really old desktop with Windows XP. I first learned about ShinyGold and spent days with a friend trying to figure out how to burn a ROM onto my retail Firered cart since I didn't understand how ROMs and Emulation worked.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    If I remember correctly I first got into ROM hacking through Simon Wai's website about the Sonic 2 beta (remember when there was only the one?) which, according to my registration date on Sonic Retro, was in 2003. I don't remember when I started thinking about hacking Pokemon games, but it was considerably later.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2020
    Around 2013 I considered making my own rom and discovered this gathering when I looked for assets. A year ago I at long last completed a after I diminished my objectives to making a straightforward utilizing Leons rombase.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Blaze Black was the first rom hack I heard about, I started working on my own about a month ago, but its more or less stalled for now.
    Started (and mostly finished now) a simpler hack about 10 days ago.

Back