• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dissappointment

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 12, 2022
So I just got back into Pokemon again (Which I am so hyped for Sun and Moon). So I bought a download copy of X and played through that in roughly 15 hours. I expected like the other games that there would be awesome after game content to go through, safari zone, more legendary pokemon, new areas, etc. But omg this is just so boring, I love pokemon I really do, maxed out clock on SoulSilver just to put it into perspective. Seriously wtf were they thinking, only 3 legendary pokemon to catch afterwards and little to no incentive to play afterwards. I honestly feel like buying Alpha Sapphire right now because of all of this, mainly because it was my first pokemon game and I love 3rd gen.

I just feel like my 40 bucks went down the drain, I liked the new pokemon and such but nothing felt memorable, I feel like Rom Hacks like Light Platinum did Pokemon better than this did. The story was lackluster in my opinion and I wasn't invested in the characters at all, I hated more than 1 rival on your journey. Like FFS I just want to play the game you are cramming me with unskipable story lines that I don't enjoy. The only thing I liked was how AZ got his Pokemon back and that is the only character I cared about in the whole story. The towns were absolutely horrible, so so boring. All of them seemed the same except the main city which I didn't like because the camera was annoying.

Anyways sorry for ranting here, I know it is probably not the best place to do it but I think most of you will understand where I am coming from with this. Thanks for your time.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah, I did feel XY were a little lackluster and unfinished? I loved the postgame Lumiose story to bits, but... Kalos felt small and lacked a lot of exploration elements, and the main story wasn't all that amazing.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
I completely understand your lack of fulfillment with XY, I feel kinda like even GameFreak is kinda disappointed in them and are just sweeping them under the rug by not giving them their third installment in Z (unless it comes after Sun&Moon but that seems p unlikely with all the Zygarde stuff seemingly coming in them). That being said though I feel like it did a pretty cool job on moving the Pokémon series from sprite-based to a full 3D world! I had nothing but wonder in my eyes in my first playthrough, I played seven hours straight when I got it on release day. I feel like the story was incredibly bare and nearly not even really there, your rivals were pretty annoying and there is a lot of missed potential BUT the post game stuff with Looker is golden if you ask me!!​

Years
It's not for everyone. But, of course, I rather enjoyed Team Flare as opposed to Team Plasma or Team Galactic. Flare was all about the cash and straight up about it. But the game play was pretty easy. It seemed as if all the opponents just threw themselves at your feet and just handing over their cash. I still hope that GF add difficulty levels to their new games, so at least there is some form of challenge.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
It's not that the postgame seemed unfinished... I just thought the game was really quick. After the event in Geosenge Town where you defeated Flare... everybody's just like "Okay cool!" and went about their daily activities. I would have liked to see something more like Gen 5 where the villainous arc continued until the very, very end.

Guest123_x1

I had bought my 2DS back in January 2015 in order to get back into the main series Pokémon games, with either X/Y or OR/AS. I ended up getting Alpha Sapphire as my new game. I got Y soon after, but playing that version doesn't seem as fun to me as Alpha Sapphire. I keep wanting to play my Generation VI and Virtual Console Gen I entries more often, but can't seem to motivate myself to do so (maybe I'll start doing so more the closer we get to winter). It'll probably be quite a long time before I ever beat Y-I'll probably have finished all three of the Generation I games long beforehand (given how familiar I am with them).

I feel like the story was incredibly bare and nearly not even really there, your rivals were pretty annoying and there is a lot of missed potential
I never liked the fact that you had several more rivals following your story as compared to previous games. I agree that the annoyance factor of them was pretty bad as well.

Although I'm not even halfway through the game, I will say that the music package in X/Y seems kind of drab and unmemorable as compared to the music packages for Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn.

Years
There's definitely reason to be disappointed at X and Y, I (and Game Freak probably) am too and I haven't really played it much after about 130 hours. There's hardly any post-game content and a lot of unanswered questions, but as a game overall, I wasn't completely disappointed by XY, I generally enjoyed playing through the main game and it was amazing to see the new 3D engine in action.

We have to remember that this was Game Freak's first Pokemon game on the 3DS, and of course it wasn't going to be perfect, on the bright side, I seriously doubt the same mistakes will be made in Sun and Moon so I would seriously recommend picking them up.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
X and Y were probably the crappiest of the pokemon generation games. It was way too easy for one, and the fact that they have the big city save bug didnt help matters.

I got bored bored and picked up Y after play x when it was released. I enjoyed it much more the 2nd time at least. Two things this game had going for it was it was the first 3d pokemon game, and i was always like..."oooh...pretty..." That and some of the amazing pokemon they came out with like tyrantrum and auroros.

That mat flip.

its better than no game. Even if all the pokemon games were x/y par id love them all to death still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
its better than no game. Even if all the pokemon games were x/y par id love them all to death still.

A bad game is sometimes worse than no game. It's okay to criticize the faults of an installment in a franchise you otherwise love. Game Freak is far faaaar from perfect. For example, BW almost knocked me out of the series. If GameFreak had just skipped to B2W2, Gen 5 would've been much better, in my opinion.

But I agree. XY seems almost third party, like they didn't get how to take advantage of the hardware and that slowed them down considerably. Hence, lack of postgame and shortish maingame filled with plotholes. I love Kalos for giving us Trainer customization, but I'll never think of XY as anything but skippable.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
It was better than Black & White, but yeah it was still a disappointment. Hopefully Sun & Moon are much better than both.

Rin Sohma

Walking on the beach with her Vaporeon
Years
  • Age 29
  • US
  • Seen Mar 31, 2017
I agree that I found X and Y disappointing. It was too easy and even though Pokemon is technically a children's game (I guess), that hasn't stopped them before from having dark and complex storylines- it seemed to in this one. I forgot to save before Xerneas and caught it in one pokeball anyway. I thought the story, your friends/your nickname, nearly every aspect was childlike and lackluster. I have high hopes for Sun/Moon.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
A bad game is sometimes worse than no game. It's okay to criticize the faults of an installment in a franchise you otherwise love. Game Freak is far faaaar from perfect. For example, BW almost knocked me out of the series. If GameFreak had just skipped to B2W2, Gen 5 would've been much better, in my opinion.

But I agree. XY seems almost third party, like they didn't get how to take advantage of the hardware and that slowed them down considerably. Hence, lack of postgame and shortish maingame filled with plotholes. I love Kalos for giving us Trainer customization, but I'll never think of XY as anything but skippable.

B/W and B/W2 were my favrite games. I have at least 5 plays from those titles and a massive amount of pokes, unfortunately i didnt pay attention to iv's and ev's until the next gen, so they werent top par pokes.

It was better than Black & White, but yeah it was still a disappointment. Hopefully Sun & Moon are much better than both.

how do people not like Black and white? 2nd best gen after sun/moon imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
Playing Pokemon Y was kind of my return to playing pokémon consistently (although I had B2 and everything before loool) I'd been busy and had no time really to play and when I picked up the game, it amazed me. Especially where the graphics are concerned.

Although I understand the game lacks a lot of post-game content seen within HG/SS for example.

Suprisingly enough, i haven't really clocked too many hours on Omega Ruby, despite Emerald being my favourite game ever. Graphically it's amazing, but I don't think it beats Emerald in my personal opinion, although that may just be the nostalgia within me speaking ~~

Back