• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WHY MUST YOU BE SO DIFFICULT?!

Years
  • So, most of us here have played quite a few characters now, and even if you're newer to the RPT chances are you've played more than one different character in your time here. My question to you is this: which of your characters is/has been the hardest to write for you?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    My character for Titans was really difficult. He was a very very British guy that could split himself up in ten bodies all controlled by the same mind. His personality was quite hard to get right, but in combination with accurately describing him controlling ten bodies, it was even worse.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • My characters for Venice were hard to write, but mostly because they had very distinct goals that the events at the time just weren't really in line with so they had no reason to act. But I needed to write something for them.

Years
  • I tend to find I really struggle with the more light-hearted characters compared to the more seriously oriented ones. In particular, I found my character Giron from titans really hard because he was purely comedic which is extremely different to other characters I play.

Another thing worth noting is my character Skellen from One Piece. The character himself isn't hard to write, especially because his personality is meant to jump a bit, but his fights can be quite difficult to write because he's both quite weak and makes use of poisons which tend to drop people pretty quick. Against big enemies it can be difficult to keep him balanced.

Legend

Kingslayer
    Years
  • I found two characters particularly hard to write: Nathaniel from Atlantis and Morgan from One Piece.

With Nathaniel, it became difficult because Atlantis took some many breaks and hiatuses that jumping back into his head was always imposing. His characteristics were not difficult, being your typical self righteous self proclaimed good guy, but I always wanted to portray it with a bit moral ambiguity (as that was a recurring theme in the RP). But the breaks and jumping around always required a grace period to get that consistency back.

Morgan is difficult because of the attempt to balance seriousness and humor in the RP to capture that One Piece flavor. I am better with dramatic characters, finding it difficult to really capture comedy in writing, so it's a challenge. That and I feel pressure to really give Morgan a character that isn't a straight rip off of Ace, whom Morgan shares many similarities with. I tried giving Morgan a speech inflection inspired by a handful of fellow RPers, so that helped a bit. However, that added the extra challenge of modifying his speech, which sometimes ruins particular moments (forcing me to drop it and disrupt the constancy).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    For me it's Jack, my Railways character.
    He's supposed to be very sophisticated and well spoken, but at the same time he's also currently a street rat who came from humble beginnings. I suppose the main difficulty is having him be classy and temperamental, without it coming across as just inconsistencies in his character. At the same time, he's trying to keep his distance and remain unnoticed until he can slip away.
    In other words, uptight, classy and temperamental are a weird combination.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    From Crimson Dawn, it had to be Thrace. Pretending you're an extremely powerful god of death can be pretty hectic when you don't want to make things impossible for the players, plus the monster she had become was a bit too dark for my tastes. Writing for her was like building a tower by stacking shattered pieces of glass. Horrible and painful

Years
  • For me its my Railways character too. Not that I've done much roleplaying with him yet, but he is supposed to be a magician, skilled at slight of hand. I thought it was a cool idea at the time, except that I know next to nothing about magic, pick pocketing, or any of that. Time for research!

Adventure

Currently, I find Ash in Astra Story incredibly difficult to write as. I'm not sure I know her really, which is a bit weird but yeah. Perhaps it's ok if a character is a bit inconsistent in the beginning of a RP, until you get the hang of them.

Easiest characters ever to write as were Ashton in an old journey RP - he just had his own distinct character and life and I really should bring him back at some point! In a more refined fashion, of course. Aipom, Larvesta, CRYOGONAL and the original Remoraid cannon idea... Ah, he wrote himself. Also my Titans character Enzyme (lol) was really easy to write as also. Perhaps because I pictured her as Rose Tyler and she kinda acted similar to her >.<

Years
  • Oddly, I have the opposite problem from Gimme. I always have a hard time playing serious characters, with the exception of playing the straight man. I just prefer to play more lighthearted characters, and only play serious types when everything around them is wacky and weird.

For this reason, the hardest character I've had to play was either Dennis from Darkest Timeline or a zombie character from a "monsters in high school" type game (I can't remember the name of either the character or the thread). Dennis was a soldier whose squad was killed, leaving him alone in enemy territory. There wasn't much room for lighthearted comedy, but I was kind of able to play around a little.

The zombie was just a jerk, intentionally rude to everyone and disrespectful. I think I played him as a straight villain, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, metaphorically speaking.

Back