• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Do you prefer dubbed or subbed anime?

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
  • This is really just about preferences...

Acting aside... I feel that Dubs are generally weaker than the original (With a few exceptions) Japanese actors emote more and their voice control is so insane that most Japanese VA can voice a plethora of different characters with varying ages, characters, and races.

My main problem with Dubs tho is name pronunciation, hearing names be butchered in dubs is the worst. And the inability of American VA to voice "moe" type characters who're higher pitched or suppose to sound young and cutesy. It doesn't matter if the voices sound good or the script is accurately written if the VA's range isn't there, I dislike it.

Also, the fact that the director/creator chose the VA's (holds auditions/Hand picked) for them makes the original dubs characters closer to the original vision of the creator. While in the US, series are licenced to different localization teams with different VA's and Writers with different contracts... making the pool of VA's for a show limited. the overall quality of the dubs tends to fall short.

I like/Prefer the original dubs because it's closer to the source material and since I can understand japanese... that doesn't mean I dislike show (I prefer watching Dragon ball dubbed than subbed) In the end it's all about the viewers taste...

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • I definitely prefer dub over sub. I only watch sub if it's a series that I absolutely need to watch. A good example is the Phoenix Wright anime. I can't stand reading what is going on, I prefer to watch it with my own eyes, and I can't seem to do that as well as I can with dub.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I prefer dub, but will do sub if it's the only option without complaining about it.

The gross overuse of specific character tropes makes the Japanese VOs grating to me after a while, mostly with female characters. 90% of female characters use the same exact voice, and it's a terrible voice. I make it a habit to avoid anime that has a strong presence of female characters in the artwork at this point to be honest. :t003:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I prefer dub, but will do sub if it's the only option without complaining about it.

The gross overuse of specific character tropes makes the Japanese VOs grating to me after a while, mostly with female characters. 90% of female characters use the same exact voice, and it's a terrible voice. I make it a habit to avoid anime that has a strong presence of female characters in the artwork at this point to be honest. :t003:

Those are Anime's are Light novel adaptions (Which tend to be aimed at young male teens) some Directors deliberately chose that same voice because it appeals to young guys hence the strong presence of female characters.

Also you saying that 90% of anime female characters use the exact same voice, just means that you have limited exposure to Japanese VO's or anime in general - As the same character trope doesn't generally mean the same voice. Mikoto Mikasa doesn't sound like Rin Tohsaka or Asuka Langley or Erina Nakiri or Taiga Aisaka all of whom belong to the Tsundere archetype,

The VA Hisaka Yoko doesn't sound like Hirano Aya...
    The VA Shiori Izawa doesn't sound like Ayako Kawasumi...
    The VA Kurosawa Tomoyo doesn't sound like Suzaki Aya...
    and so much more.
    Their techniques and how they act depends on the character they play.

and It's unfair to just lump all these talented people into one category "generic anime girl voice"... just because you don't get exposed to them.

Years
  • Hahahaha! English? What's that? 日本語 all the way. I can't stand voices in the wrong language. Same for German, Deutsch, Turkish, Russian or any other show. Keep languages with their original actors. Except Frieza. Linda Young makes a mean Frieza. Probably the only dub I can stand is DBZ. Probably because that'
    s what was on the tellie.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2018
    depend on which series.
    if we are talking about pokemon xyz then i prefer sub, pokemon xyz looked horrible in dub

if all other series then dub

sykotiksonik

Amateur YouTuber/Pokémon Master
    Years
  • Literally the only anime I've ever watched subbed was the Ace Attorney Anime.

When I'm watching anime, I want to be able to understand what the characters are saying in my native language, which is of course English. I can't stand reading and watching at the same time, and the only reason I did it for Ace Attorney was because I was already very familiar with the series itself.

The argument comes up a lot that subs are better because they're the true script and when a show gets a dub, the script usually is usually changed because of cultural differences. Again, that doesn't matter to me, because as long as I can still follow the plot and enjoy the voice acting, that's all that matters to me. Except in the case of 4Kids and their "censoring". Finger guns in Yu-Gi-Oh, Brock making "Jelly Donuts"... that's a bit too ridiculous even for me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Subbed. I can't really stand Dubbed anymore, guess i'm use to the cute voice actors :D.

Back