• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Do you prefer dubbed or subbed anime?

Years
    Aren't dubs just as bad at high pitched voices, except it sounds even more cringy when American VAs imitate squeaky Japanese voices. That's usually the biggest turn off for me with dubs, when I hear high pitched girls trying to be like Rie Kugimiya. Just don't, voice act as if it was a western animated series.

It completely depends on who they get to voice, really. Certain VAs have been typecast into that role, really.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    There are some anime I prefer dubbed, like Panty and Stocking. Otherwise, subs sound better, just so you can listen to the characters' original, adorable voices.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
    After watching a lot more anime since I first posted this thread, I can see why a lot of people prefer subbed to dubbed.

The English voice actors for Clannad aren't very good and I've decided to just watch it subbed.
    I feel like some animes (Like Toradora!, for example) work well with the English language and It makes it hard for me to watch it subbed after I've already seen it dubbed.

All in all, I have changed my opinion. I think most animes are better subbed because they fit the story, the characters and the elements around them much better in their native language.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    For Pokemon and Yugioh, dubbed. The others are better subbed.
    To be honest, you're doing yourself a disservice by watching Yugioh dubbed. Other shows usually just have English voices and similar script, but Yugioh has completely rewritten script that doesn't match the original at all.

someguy.fromnevada

I don't know anymore...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    Truth be told, I think I'm more into dubbed anime, cause then I can just kick back and watch it, rather than read. I mean, if I wanted to read the anime, I would rather just get the manga.

Years
    Usually I watch subbed over dubbed. Pokemon is the only exception because I'm used to the dub, and the original is usually not any different so no reason to switch.

But for everything else I prefer subbed. Dubs tend to remove stuff like guns, mentions of death, blood, huge acts of violence, etc, especially in "kid" shows whenever or not that anime was aimed at kids in the first place. Remove all that stuff and then change the plot around it and now suddenly you have a million plot holes that make the plot make no sense.

Also aside from really popular anime, dubs tend to have very lackluster voice acting. And even in popular dubbed anime the original VO is usually just better. Seeing English voice actors try to imitate Japanese things also makes me cringe. The soundtrack is also more fitting and better. All IMO of course.

Years
    Subbed, I always prefer watching things in their original language. Same goes for any cartoons or other TV shows; if they're originally made in English (or whatever other language) I'll go for that before anything else. That and I feel most anime tends to sound more natural and has more emotion when it's in Japanese rather than dubbed haha. There are some exceptions, like Durarara!! and Soul Eater which I thought were fantastically dubbed, but I still wouldn't go out of my way to watch dubs over subs.

Years
    You know what? I forgot to state my preference in this iteration. I have a slight bias toward dubs, but I generally will prefer to watch a series in whichever language I see it in first, and then maybe again in the other language if it was good the first time through.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    To be honest, you're doing yourself a disservice by watching Yugioh dubbed. Other shows usually just have English voices and similar script, but Yugioh has completely rewritten script that doesn't match the original at all.

I know this, and I am aware of a lot of the differences. I even agree that it's worse dubbed. I don't really know why I prefer it dubbed. Maybe it's cause I just grew up watching it dubbed. I watch all the episodes that never get dubbed with subs, though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I feel like some animes (Like Toradora!, for example) work well with the English language and It makes it hard for me to watch it subbed after I've already seen it dubbed.
    Well... Toradora has Rie Kugimiya MC, that alone makes subbed version superior =D

YGO is actually somehow weird... I definitely agree that the butchered script is a disgrace, but if you are an YGO player, you somehow tend to lean towards dubbed because of card names. Because you know what they do and how they are supposed to be played. That is sometimes not the case in case of sub as Japanese cards sometimes have different naming.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
    YGO is actually somehow weird... I definitely agree that the butchered script is a disgrace, but if you are an YGO player, you somehow tend to lean towards dubbed because of card names. Because you know what they do and how they are supposed to be played. That is sometimes not the case in case of sub as Japanese cards sometimes have different naming.
    But the cards are the same, aside from the dub having censored artwork reflecting the censored real life cards, and replacing every black with dark (DARK HOLE). Also card effects rarely reflect actual effects, the show always makes up card effects on the fly. Dub maybe works if you just want the card game, but if you watch it for the characters/plot, the dub does ruin a lot of it, especially character development since most dialogues were turned into puns. At least Kaiba is a dick no matter what version you watch. He'll always be the best tsundere there is.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2016
    I also prefer dubbed anime because it's easier to get pulled into the characters & I feel more connected to the story. I can understand why some people prefer subbed, but I just don't like to read the subtitles because then I'm not able to focus fully on the anime.
    My attention span is pretty low xD

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
    I usually prefer to watch shows - anime or otherwise - in their original language because it feels more, uh, original to me. That, and the fact that the dubbed anime I've seen so far just didn't feel natural compared to its subbed counterparts (voice-acting wise).

GetHyper

Don't know what he is doing
    Years
    Definitely subbed, subbed anime sounds more natural while dubbed for me at least often sound out of place or a bit forced.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    It really depends on which one I'm exposed to first. But usually, they're interchangeable to me. As long as it's not doing some 4kids BS.

Back