• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Squid Game

Years
  • It's the talk of the globe right now, one of if not THE most watched show on Netflix, the brain-bending show that is Squid Game!

Now that's it been out enough for people to watch it and take in the hysteria about it all - thoughts?

What about some of the other issues cropping up at the moment? Things such as the dub allegedly being beyond terrible and the absolute storm (at least here in the UK) it has started amongst the younger population!

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Squid Game, I watched it as soon as it arrived on Netflix, so my mum and I binged through the whole series in about 2 days.

I think the best thing to have come out of Squid Game is how Korean media has now been brought to everyone's attention. There have been so many great Korean TV shows and movies and honestly, if it wasn't for Korean content and some anime I wouldn't have Netflix. What's great about Squid Game's popularity is that I can now talk to friends/colleagues about it and I've been able to recommend my favourite K-dramas and movies. I think that people were a lot more hesitant to watch Korean stuff before.

As for the subtitles/dubbing, I can only watch live action stuff with subtitles. I heard the subtitles were often wrong, so hopefully they'll correct them; that'll give me even more of a reason to rewatch the series. I saw an extract of the dub and it sounded pretty bad. I'll happily watch dubbed anime though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I loved watching it. I wouldn't say it was the best show in the world, but it reminded me of what the Hunger Games should have been and how it was more like the books than the movies.

As for the voice acting for English, I didn't really see anything wrong with it. In fact, by about the third or fourth episode, I forgot that it wasn't their real voices. I don't know if it was because I wan enjoying it more than other voice overs I've watched or what. It also helped that a number of the voice actors were from animes and video games I've watched in the past. I'd rather not watch subtitles if it can be avoided, even though I'm used to it because of anime. But I honestly thought the voice acting was fine.

If I had one negative thing about it, it would be that some of the facial expressions were a little over exaggerated, but that might be Korean Media and I am just not used to it.

I will also say, it is one of the only shows that has made me want to rewatch it right away after I've finished it, which has never happened for me on anything.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I loved Squid Game, looking forward to S2 but I feel it's gonna be a long wait.

For anyone who liked it and is looking for similar shows I'd recommend checking out Alice in Borderland and Sweet Home.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I loved Squid Game, looking forward to S2 but I feel it's gonna be a long wait.

For anyone who liked it and is looking for similar shows I'd recommend checking out Alice in Borderland and Sweet Home.
    Those are great shows, I can't wait for AIB season 2! they're actually filming season 2 right now so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Years
    • Seen today
    It was a fun show. I caught it pretty early before it began to trend. Nothing I would rewatch, but it was a fun watch nonetheless.

The english dub was fine. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't terrible either.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Those are great shows, I can't wait for AIB season 2! they're actually filming season 2 right now so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Yes that we can expect S2 of soon! Unlike Squid game which we know hasn't started S2 production lol.

I heard AIB s2 is to air around december this year? Not sure how accurate that is tho. Squid game on the other hand likely be a year plus of a wait still.

Years
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Squid Game, I watched it as soon as it arrived on Netflix, so my mum and I binged through the whole series in about 2 days.

I think the best thing to have come out of Squid Game is how Korean media has now been brought to everyone's attention. There have been so many great Korean TV shows and movies and honestly, if it wasn't for Korean content and some anime I wouldn't have Netflix. What's great about Squid Game's popularity is that I can now talk to friends/colleagues about it and I've been able to recommend my favourite K-dramas and movies. I think that people were a lot more hesitant to watch Korean stuff before.

As for the subtitles/dubbing, I can only watch live action stuff with subtitles. I heard the subtitles were often wrong, so hopefully they'll correct them; that'll give me even more of a reason to rewatch the series. I saw an extract of the dub and it sounded pretty bad. I'll happily watch dubbed anime though.

It seems to have been well received/fixed in light of these issues, so hopefully for S2 they will have sorted it, knowing the hype S1 has generated.

I loved Squid Game, looking forward to S2 but I feel it's gonna be a long wait.

Alice in Borderland yes what taste!!!!! Absolute love AiB, a very good recommendation!

Now one concern I have regarding, if it arrives, S2 of Squid Game: how exactly will it fare to the phenomenon that is S1?! I feel that it's going to be put in such a high regard now that even if S2 is really good, it's going to feel mediocre at best.

Years
  • The acting of those American VIPs really took me out of it. Everything was A+ except for them lol. My experienced Kdrama friends have told me that that's apparently a common thing though.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Alice in Borderland yes what taste!!!!! Absolute love AiB, a very good recommendation!

Now one concern I have regarding, if it arrives, S2 of Squid Game: how exactly will it fare to the phenomenon that is S1?! I feel that it's going to be put in such a high regard now that even if S2 is really good, it's going to feel mediocre at best.

I just hope the popularity doesn't cause Netflix to rush it out, the creator stated he will more assistance for S2, I just hope they give him as much time and new help as the project needs. It will likely take a while to get a S2 up to the same quality as S1, but I'd much rather wait for a great S2 than get a rushed sub par one!

Years
  • Started this a few weeks ago! Though husband and I are very slow with watching and have only seen 3 episodes so far. Pretty into it right now, the writing quality has been high and there have already been things happening I didn't expect. I can't wait to have my heart crushed after watching more and more lol. :(

Back