• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The offical "PC won't load | I can't post | threads won't load" etc. thread.

Loki

x
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Question: Are there any plans for moving to a new/bigger server, or, are we close to that goal is it is even a goal?

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Bell said:
    Question: Are there any plans for moving to a new/bigger server, or, are we close to that goal is it is even a goal?

and to follow onto that... If we do move to a bigger server, would our profiles stay intact, or would we have to reregister, build our things again, get everyone to register again maybe with different usernames, loose our postcount, Make all our threads again...

Mind you, why are these problems with the database more frequent as of recent times?

Guest123_x1

It's because we continue to have all these old topics that we're not allowed to post in anymore that the operators refuse to prune away (or move into another reference library), plus thousands of unused names that haven't made any posts.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • it's not anything like that.. it's because some idiots decided to target us for an attack. not too much beyond what we're already doing can be done about it
    our datacenter security staff is working hard on keeping the server up and running but even then there may be some lag or temp outages.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • PPNSteve said:
    it's not anything like that.. it's because some idiots decided to target us for an attack. not too much beyond what we're already doing can be done about it
    our datacenter security staff is working hard on keeping the server up and running but even then there may be some lag or temp outages.

We were targeted for an attack?? Could you maybe clarify exactly what happened??

This is really starting to get frustrating. It seems this place is out at least 50% of the time I visit anymore. By what you said above, it seems there is no plan to improve the situation?? o.o

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • yes targeted.. it means some one/group is sending 1000's of http requests per min with the intent of bringing the server down. we are doingt everything possible to slow / stop it but there is only so much we can do.

as for new equiptment, we can't afford it yet.. PC isn't yet self-sustaining so unless we get a LOT more REGULAR (monthly) donations or the other income increases we're stuck on one server. (PC needs approx $700 - 1000.00 per month to run on a load balanced, seperate DB server system)

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
  • Yeah, I got that aswell. When I tried clicking the linking button thread, it came up with the database error but when you'd click another it would be working fine.

Guest123_x1

Just what exactly goes on when this site has to be closed for maintenance!?!?!?!!?? Once it's re-opened, I don't see this place running any better than it did before!!

it's not anything like that.. it's because some idiots decided to target us for an attack. not too much beyond what we're already doing can be done about it

Spoiler:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Ah yes ottermi, but you see, you're not running a place like this. Wonderful suggestion though, by my point of view, but not many others would be willing to start from scratch. And there are ongoing things, such as the Roleplay's in the Roleplaying threads. I honestly think that if the site is closed for maintenence, it's not that big a deal anymore, because then you know that NOBODY is posting, therefore, don't have anything to worry about, for not being around.

Find a different hobby to occupy yourself while PC's server is being a butt, and keep one window open, keep refreshing and the such, until PC shows up. That's what I do.

And as for the jamming post and thread stuff, that's why there are so many double posts I'd expect. Some posts during jam up's show up afterwards and some don't. I've found that to be true after seeing some posts disappear and some posts make me look like I double posted. < <;;

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Ok we just moved attachments into the file system once again.. if you find one of your attachments missing, you'll need to reupload it or if it's not your, contact the member tyhat posted it to re-upload. (*this is in an attempt to speed up and streamline the database*)

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
    Years
  • It seems to be better, I always struggle more later when more americans are on. Better than yesterday at least, it was havoc. Well done and I hope you get it sorted. Do you think maybe a new URL would stop it? I mean so it's no longer pokecommunity.com.

Guest123_x1

nope not really.. if they want to try to bring us down they'll find the new url too.
    What about changing the IP address (or do you have to have regulatory approval/file a change of address fee)?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • Would Internet Security programs like McAfee or Norton affect the loading?

I'm getting really annoyed that I can't get into PC, log in, etc. I might as well go to another forum, won't you (and I'm not suggesting any).

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • No, all this downtime is due to the server. Steve gave reasons on why it's so slow.

And if you want to leave then nothing is stopping you. I hate this downtime more then anyone, but I'm not going "Well I'm fed up with this. I'm going to another forum".

Back