The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Life What would you change about the education system?

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old 1 Week Ago (9:23 AM).
Pokemon Trainer and Ghostbuster

Nature: Jolly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Pay teachers more and fix up the god-awful sex education.
    I forgot about the lackluster quality of sex education in America. I should know because my Middle and High School experience that sex ed can be of meh quality (Middle School was anatomy, pregnancy, STDs along with an abstinence-only approach, High School was only STDs and Pregnancy (did not mention contraception or birth control)). Thanks for brining this up.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (7:16 PM).
    PC's YouTuber Enthusiast

Nature: Modest
      like someone said earlier, change how much pressure is put on knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life at 16 and earlier and even later. when i was 16 i was just focused on getting stable mental health (my mental health was not the best at the time however it is manageable as of right now) and graduating. hell, i'm 20 almost 21 and still don't know what i want to do and my mom makes me feel like crap for it. it sucks. i'm only going for a gen ed degree because it'll give me some sort of degree and gives me some time to at least somewhat figure out what i wanna do.

also, exams are a big no no. i hate exams. they're ridiculous. i'd prefer more hands on final projects or something of the like. most of the time with final exams i end up just memorizing everything and not remembering what was on it at all after i'm done with the courses.

"Everything is going to be alright. Maybe not today, but eventually."
      pronouns: they/their
      Paired to my darling Pashmina<3
      tumblr [sometimes nsfw]
      Old 5 Days Ago (10:11 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Altairis.
      take me ☆ take you

Random thought I had the other day: colleges that aren’t specialty school should require students to take upper division Biology/Business even if it’s not part of their major on a Pass/Fail score. I feel like so many people get duped by “science” nowadays, and many of these people have college degrees, so supposedly they’re really smart but still get tricked by this stuff. I feel like if these kids were forced to take Human Physiology or Ecology or Intro to Environmental Science then there wouldn’t be such widespread ignorance.

A lot of colleges offer intro classes but at a lower level if it’s not your major. Psyduck that muk. Put those kids in the same class as the major kids, but grade them on a Pass/Fail or don’t incorporate their grade into their main GPA. That way the non-majors don’t get a watered down version and potentially a lowered GPA (since science classes can be hard) and they still have to learn most of the material.

Like can you just imagine if this knowledge was widespread? Less people complaining about and getting tricked by “chemicals in their food”/“GMOs have chemicals”/“Triglycerides are bad for you”/“0 cholesterol is best!”

ORAS/XYBW
        Old 5 Days Ago (11:30 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
        Random thought I had the other day: colleges that aren’t specialty school should require students to take upper division Biology/Business even if it’s not part of their major on a Pass/Fail score.
        Why business exactly?
        Old 4 Days Ago (1:55 PM).
        take me ☆ take you

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Nah View Post
          Why business exactly?
          I haven’t super thought about that one but I have never taken any sort of business related class in my life and I feel like maybe it would be useful? But I would never ever take one now because it could affect my GPA and they’re not really accessible at my college to non-majors.

ORAS/XYBW
          Old 4 Days Ago (2:31 PM).
          Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
          I think a major problem with the education system is the problem of political or philosophical bias creeping into lessons. I think the following things would help solve this:
          - more transparency for parents about what their kids are being taught (maybe have daily lesson plans emailed out to parents, etc.)
          - development of a fair standard for determining what kinds of things qualify as bias
          - some form of oversight to make sure teachers are abiding by these standards

Quick Reply