• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Trailer

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
  • I was just wondering if there really is a core pokemon game coming in 2019. When I watched the trailer for this, I almost choked myself to death. I kid you not, I was trying to strangle myself with the laptop charging chord. It just seems gimmicky and would be a big letdown. However, if there really is a proper, Pokemon main series game coming in 2019, I couldn't care less. To sum up all of the above crap, is there a confirmation that there is a core RPG Pokemon mainline game coming in 2019?

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I was just wondering if there really is a core pokemon game coming in 2019. When I watched the trailer for this, I almost choked myself to death. I kid you not, I was trying to strangle myself with the laptop charging chord. It just seems gimmicky and would be a big letdown. However, if there really is a proper, Pokemon main series game coming in 2019, I couldn't care less. To sum up all of the above crap, is there a confirmation that there is a core RPG Pokemon mainline game coming in 2019?

There is confirmation yes.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • The moment I saw the trailer, I'm hyped straight away! While I was skeptical when seeing some rumor statements regarding the catching mechanic, once I see it in action, I thought, "Ah, motion controls! This could work!" Even though at times I wish there would be an option to catch the 'mon the good 'ol traditional way (probs via Option settings?) so that others wouldn't get alienated by it. On other note, I was caught off guard when I see that co-op option would be available as well.

Even though I'm hyped, I still have some unanswered questions regarding Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, so I'll make the approach of wait-and-see attitude on this.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Logged in after a (long) while just to post this -

This trailer made me so happy. The (apparently) dumbed down gameplay and Go mechanics are things I could've done without and made my excitement levels go down from "HOLY SHIT I'M THE HAPPIEST PERSON EVER" to "This game is still pretty neat!" but *this* right here is still the game that will make me buy the switch.

I am one of those people that a lot of people would refer to as a nostalgiafag or a genwunner since I've grown up with the originals (and was wishing for an HD update to old games lol) and have played ever single game since except X/Y so this is right up my alley.

THAT however doesn't change the fact that I'm still looking forward to the next core RPG in 2019. My interest in the series was kiiiinda waning but playing Ultra Moon made me appreciate it again. So for whatever nintendo has in store for us, I'd say bring it on. Gonna thoroughly enjoy this game I'm sure and whatever comes next, too.

Day one purchase. Both this and the game next year. I do hope they keep all the proper mechanics in the game next year and only migrate over features from Let's Go Pikavee that this game is well-received for.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's not quite what I was expecting but I do really like the look of these games! No doubt itll be another first day purchase to add to the endless list of other games this year.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I suppose we'll see what we learn in the coming months.

Kind of looks like a re-do of Yellow but you catch Pokemon in the style of Pokemon GO. Which, speaking of GO, I hope that connectivity with it is not required for anything significant really. Not that I even have a Switch, nor have any idea when I'll get a Switch, or if I'll even buy these games, but, y'know.

One interesting thing to note is that it kinda looked like we'd be able to ride some Pokemon in this? And maybe not necessarily for HM/PokeRide reasons?

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    So the goods news is that Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are spin off titles for the Nintendo Switch (basically a springboard for the upcoming core Pokemon RPG aka Generation VIII in 2019)...honestly, I'm fine with this. If these spin off titles/third paired versions do well, Game Freak and Nintendo will keep Pokemon Go interaction exclusively with them and leave Pokemon Go out of the core series.

As for whether I'll buy a Nintendo Switch to play one of these games? Well, its not like I play any other games...and I have been a Pokemon fan since Generation 1...

Last edited:
    Years
  • After watching the english trailer, I'm not to excited for these. Maybe because the games have tie in's with pokemon go and I was never interested in pokemon go to begin with.

I'm hoping that next years titles will be more traditional and not include any pokemon go mechanics. Though if they want to include the throwing the poke ball using the joy con or even that new poke ball accessory, that they can get away with with me.

I might pick up the poke ball accessory they shown for collectors sake, and it better be readily available.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Too many GO gimmicks for me to get excited about. I am curious how leveling will work though. You can see CP on the catch screen, so I guess candies will play a large role in leveling your team for battling.

At least this will help them iron things out for Gen 8 games.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, they're a beginner-level entrypoint for new players, but they're not technically spinoffs, nor are they being marketed as such.

I feel that they occupy a grey area, but are ultimately spin offs. Whilst they seem to be based on Pokemon Yellow, they have key differences from the main core games, specifically how there are no wild pokemon battles, the usable pokemon are heavily restricted and IGN have stated that the games willl "simplify things with how you level up, raise & train your Pokémon".
    Furthermore, we know that there is an "all-new core series Pokémon RPG title in development for the second half of 2019", and this is the game that was mentioned in E3. Also, whilst I don't have any concrete sources, many people have stated that in the Press Conference Game Freak said that the 2019 Core games will not be affected by the pokemon Go games.
    https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001636250158223360

Considering this, I would argue that these games are more like the Pokemon Colosseum spin off games - a mix of game mechanics from the core game series and something new, and a restricted pool of pokemon to choose from. In my eyes, the main difference between a spin off and main game is if the mechanics undergo a meaningful change from the main series games in some form. This is why B2/W2, which keep the same mechanics as the rest of the main line series, are core games whereas these games, which are heavily influenced by Pokemon Go mechanics, are not.

Whilst I understand that Game Freak do not want to specifically market these games as spin offs, in order to gain the most profit, that does not change that these games do not conform to the Core gameplay and so cannot be part of the Core Game series unlike previous 'remakes' such as FRLG/HGSS/ORAS.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, I really have mixed feelings about this. Let's break it down:

We're returning to the Kanto and will have only 151 Pokémon and Alola Forms... WHY? I don't mind returning to Kanto a see it in 3D, but why include only 1st Gen? That's about 19 % of all the Pokémon (Not including different forms). Right now, I've used almost every Pokémon from Gen I and I have really hard time making some of my teams because I don't want to use same Pokémon over and over again. And Alola Forms? They're called Alola Forms because Pokémon from Kanto that lived in Alola had to adapt to the tropical settings. I can understand if you can get them with trade, but in the wild? Or will they come from the GO?

Next thing - wild Pokémon. It's been confirmed that you can only catch Pokémon, not battle them. I'm actually okay with that. I don't mind this in GO and as long as it's not in the core series, I don't mind trying this mechanic. But how will level-based evolution work? Please no candies. Also the overworld sprites looks great. And running into them for battle is also nice detail.

But even more important are starters. Pikachu and Eevee. Not that interesting starters. I would rather have Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle trio. Let's break down the Gym Leaders and E4. Both Pokémon will do nothing againts Brock and you'll probably need another Pokémon before that. In Yellow, you can catch Monkey on Route 22, so I think this possibility will stay in these games too. Then is Misty and Pikachu wins there. For Lt. Surge and Erika is Eevee better but it still deals neutral damage. Next three Gyms are neutral from offensive and defensive perspective. And in the last Gym, both Pokémon aren't effective. In the E4, Pikachu can do something againts Lorelei and Lance, while Eevee is useless against Agatha. Stat-wise, Pikachu has 320 points and Eevee has 325, so it's not that big difference. So I have to ask... Who would use Eevee when it's pretty much useless for most of the game? Big plus for their customization, but it's one of the things that screams spin-off.

I really like Co-op idea, but the way it was shown so far really bothers me. In wild battle, the 2 Pokéballs just merge into one? How does that work? Wouldn't having double battle make more sense? Like one player catches one Pokémon and the other player catches the second one. And same applies for the battles. 2v1? Are we Team Rocket now? How could you enjoy ganging up on poor kids like this?

One thing that I'm glad to see is return of the Pokéwalker in the form of the joycon. It looks good and it's Pokéwalker! There is no need to anything else about it. Only minus I see is the price, as it costs just as the games itself.

I know I just jumps from one thing to the other, but now I would like to talk about connectivity with mobile's GO. Your Pokémon will finally have purpose. Yeah. But how will the transfer works? Will the transfered Pokémon have only 2 moves? And what are the items you can transfer between the two games? I feel like it can break both games. Like sending high IV Pokémon with high level to the Let's GO at the start of the game or sending infinite number of Pokéballs to the mobile's GO.

Last thing I want rant about is graphic. Why do the games look like something that was meant to be released on 3DS on 20th Pokémon anniversary? Why do they have chibby graphics from XY instead of the realistic graphics from Gen VII? I feel like they could do a lot more with it. And I really hope they won't randomly switch to the realistic graphics in the cutscenes like they did in XY and ORAS.

I hope I didn't forget on anything... Following Pokémon is nice feature, but I would prefer to turn it off (for some Pokémon) just like in the PR. And that's all folks.

Overall, I'm not really fond of the games right now, but will continue to watch them. I'm more hyped for the 2019 games and we know NOTHING about them. It's funny how GF is trying to destroy their own games. They did same thing with Pokkén on Switch (by showcasing Ultra versions) and now again.
    I haven't bought Switch yet and right now, this game really isn't something that would change that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I can really appreciate this game for nostalgic reasons. The ability to have the pokemon follow you or having you travel on them is meaningful in the sense of companionship. I don't think there is appeal for battle driven fans, but it looks great.

They also announced the new pokemon to be revealed in this game, and that the main line generation 8 game to be released in late 2019.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen yesterday
    - Why on earth do we keep returning to Kanto? Hasn't there been enough Gen 1 pandering in previous generations?!
    well, its not we've had an actual fist gen remake since the 3ed gen. still, hybridizing yellow & go dose not seem like a good idea especially when people are still irked by getting USUM instead of gen 4 remakes
    But even more important are starters. Pikachu and Eevee. Not that interesting starters. I would rather have Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle trio.
    given that this is a yellow remake, it'll most likely have them in the same places:
    Charmander received from a poor trainer in the areas north of Nugget Bridge in Cerulean City; Bulbasaur is received from nurses in Cerulean City and Squirtle received from Officer Jenny after defeating Lt. Surge in the Vermilion City Gym.
    if i do end up getting this, i'm more then likely gonna ditch the starter for something better anyway

One thing that I'm glad to see is return of the Pokéwalker in the form of the joycon. It looks good and it's Pokéwalker! There is no need to anything else about it. Only minus I see is the price, as it costs just as the games itself.
    for some stupid reason nintendo seems to think the switch accessories are worth the high prices, then turn around and make it so the switch bricks from use of 3ed party stuff.

Following Pokémon is nice feature, but I would prefer to turn it off (for some Pokémon) just like in the PR. And that's all folks.
    same, it'd be kinda odd if you couldn't given how much stuff was shoved into breath of the wild.

all in all this game seems like it could be fun, but i'm going to hold off on it. i'm sure as hell not paying $50 for that pokewalker. also the game itself doesn't seem to be worth $60 at this point, $40 maybe.

at this point it seem the only pokemon games i'm getting this year are the f2p one i'm downloading right now & super smash bros switch

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • Not sure if this has been covered/asked but in the trailer Pikachu version has the male character and Eevee the female, will we be able to choose which character we use or are they per version?

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2021
    I think the shared XP might get a bit annoying after playing a while, waiting for all Pok?mon in the party to get their XP every time you catch a Pok?mon.

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • I think the shared XP might get a bit annoying after playing a while, waiting for all Pok?mon in the party to get their XP every time you catch a Pok?mon.

From last nights E3 showing the Exp. was shared on all 6 Pokemon at the same time not individually, it looked fine tbh.

Back