• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
hmm.. not quite, but I appreciate the help :) !

I will have to use let in the class no doubt, so you are right :) !
But I was hoping there would be a way to import the data from like a text file or something, because I don't want/know-how to write it in the Pokemon class (could you imagine like 300+ if statements to figure it out dear lord help me haha)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I have a question for the coders of PC! It's one regarding storing data (let's see if I can word it right :x )

I'm experimenting in swift trying to make an app, and it's very fun! It's essentially a pedometer and by taking steps you hatch and level Pokemon. So fun! But I have come across a problem: I have a ton of Pokemon and variables to store for them (steps taken, level, happiness, etc) which will change throughout the app, but a lot of the other variables (sprites, overworlds, icon, name, type, max exp, exp growth type, etc) will only ever be the same thing. Is there a way to store all of the latter data before instantiating it with the former variables?

(I hope that made sense...)

What you'll wanna look up is data persistence in Swift. Here's something to get you started:
http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ios-from-scratch-with-swift-data-persistence-and-sandboxing-on-ios--cms-25505

Radix

it's always time to drink.
Years
Add me to the list.

I work on a variety of personal and open source projects. I mostly use Haskell and ES7/Javascript, but I know a bunch more. Recently I've been really into UI architectures, and I've worked on a bunch of shiny new stuff in the React/CycleJS/Elm community as a professional web developer.

Last edited:

SushiFeelings

(´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 29
  • US
  • Seen Jun 12, 2016
Hey everyone, I recently joined these forums and thought this thread looks pretty neat. I'm currently a student majoring in CS, but I noticed there is a lot of stuff they don't really teach so I've been wanting to learn a few things on my own this summer. I've dabbled into Java, Python, C, Scheme, PHP, and a few more. However I don't really feel that proficient in any of the languages.

Currently I've been dabbling in Meteorjs for webdeving and trying to get a few sites going with it, but I was wondering what other projects or languages I could learn that could be beneficial in the future?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
So over the past few days, I've been working on one of the summer projects that I have been wanting to do with a co-worker of mine. Basically, the program is to be used in our workplace (And yes, I do have permission from the store manager about this!) and allows us to get product information on the floor by simply typing in an item number, and it'll return a price, name, and image of the product so far, although I do have plans for some other features in the coming days. I've been learning a lot about how this goes, especially the workflow of developing an application and bugtesting it, but I've also used WPF for it instead of standard Winforms, as I wanted to use a different UI library so it didn't look so absurdly plain. It's been working out though, although what I already know in C# so well is being put into question as WPF implements C# ever so slightly differently.

What is WPF like for C#? I've never worked with it before so I'm curious.

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2022
Hey, guys!

I'm not a programmer by any means, but I am really comfortable with HTML/CSS and took a couple classes in Javascript and C++ in college. During my downtime at work, I like to plan out programs and have been working on a couple in C which I have been slowly teaching myself. Once I have a better hold on it, I'd like to get back to Javascript.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi, especially since I may come in here from time to time with questions~

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I'm trying to build the qt version of vgmtrans under linux as I post this, might have to do some code tweaks to get it to run.

Years
Well, basically every item in the store has a product number associated with it. My program you could type in that number, and it'd try to get product information from the store's website and use a web scraping utility to do it and give that information back to the store employee. Some people that saw and tried the older betas really liked it, but because of this policy, I'd have to have express approval from Head Office for any kinds of floor testing.
Wow, that kinda sucks but at the same time I'd like to see if you could go forward with it!

Years
So I'm taking Visual Basic this semester and I have a question...has anybody ever had to program Hello World? My professor is making me do that as the first assignment.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
So I'm taking Visual Basic this semester and I have a question...has anybody ever had to program Hello World? My professor is making me do that as the first assignment.

Definitely! Hello World is always the first exercise given when learning a new programming language. ;)

Years
Definitely! Hello World is always the first exercise given when learning a new programming language. ;)
haha :P

It was definitely fun to work with the code, although I definitely had some trouble in the beginning. In fact, I accidentally started the project as a C# project instead of Visual Basic in Visual Studio and had to start over. -_-

Designing stuff in the GUI made things seem like there was nothing wrong, until I got to the coding of the buttons.

Years
Yeah, VB does its syntax super weird and it just doesn't really make much sense in comparison to pretty much all other languages. It's good to have, but it doesn't develop good habits.
In that case, then I do wonder why my college is making me take Visual Basic, unless a lot of IT professionals use VB. They have a programming track that teaches all other languages, but I feel that for my computer information administration program, VB was just a pull from the hat.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
In that case, then I do wonder why my college is making me take Visual Basic, unless a lot of IT professionals use VB. They have a programming track that teaches all other languages, but I feel that for my computer information administration program, VB was just a pull from the hat.

You'd be surprised how much VB is used in the business world... certainly not on the level of a language like C++ but it's up there from what I know. As for using VB in a beginner language class, well, the language is rather accessible for non-programmers to grasp which makes it a good language to at least get your feet wet with.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Heey im starting a web dev fundamentals course next week. Should be fun, but might be exhausting while working 40+ hours/week.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
VB was my first language; it's very accessible to programming neophytes. I think they've made the GUI a little more complicated in recent years, but honestly, you could get a decent grasp of it in an afternoon - and linking code to it is SUPER easy in Visual Studio.

Long story short, I think people still use VB because you can get a decent program up and running quickly.

The syntax though... well, it's been hard unlearning it in order to grasp more powerful languages, I'm finding. :x

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
That's really the one thing I dislike about it. If it had a more in-line syntax with regular languages, it'd actually be something I'd recommend more to beginners to grasp the concepts of programming.

I think that's always an obstacle... it's the same sort of thing when you're transitioning from say, a garbage-collected language and a manual memory language—whatever habits you have that didn't necessarily have to deal with pointers and memory addresses will need to be changed. Learning new languages is a matter of constantly breaking old habits. :)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I feel that when it comes to NetBeans. Like it's useful for coding in Java, but I might be forced by college to use it for PHP dev'ing soon? So ughhhh. Lemme code in peace with something far more lightweight like Notepad++ which has an actually decent dark theme on it. <3

Also been having to make own version of some in-built php functions recently. It's actually kinda fun doing the legwork myself, but at the moment I'm trying to make a custom remove from array function and I'm getting annoyed 'cuz I know how to do it in C++ or Java already. Haha.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Our company is using Delphi (7, but they plan on slowly upgrading to the newest version). I have to say, it feels pretty weird using it, especially since I'm so used to stuff like C/C++ and C# and their syntax.

Back