• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What role would you give the Pokémon above in battle?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • I've been playing a lot of games in this category, so I figured why not try my hand at creating my own game? I actually searched this time, and I don't think this game has been done before, so here goes. One person names a Pokémon, and the next poster posts the role it would have on their battle team. For example, if the post above me says "Starmie," I would say "special sweeper" and then name a random Pokémon of my own. Then, the process repeats from there. Although it's not required, you can give a brief explanation of why you selected that role.

Next poster:
    Special Sweeper — (It has a high enough Special Attack and Speed stat to sweep. Its ability Analytic also helps too).

Dugtrio?

And it continues from there.

Examples of different roles are:

Sweeper — Pokémon with high physical and/or special attacking stats and high speed that allow them to hit fast and hard.
    Wallbreaker — Pokémon with massive attacking stats that are powerful enough to deal significant damage to Pokémon with high defensive stats
    Staller — Pokémon with high defensive stats that can typically recover health and are difficult to KO.
    Bulky attackers — Pokémon that might not have the best speed stat but have high defensive, attacking, and HP stats that allow them to hit hard and take hits themselves.
    Lead — Pokémon that are best suited to start a battle and set up a certain strategy, such as weather, terrain, screens such as Light Screen, Reflect, or Aurora Veil, or entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and so on.
    Revenge killers — Pokémon that should be used after your Pokémon faints rather than switched out in the middle of a battle.
    Pivot — Pokémon that are best suited for switching out with moves such as U-Turn, Volt Switch, Parting Shot, and so on, and/or passing on stat boosts to other Pokémon, such as with Baton Pass.

Of course, you don't have to choose these roles specifically, but rather how you would personally use the Pokémon in question. Also, there are no right or wrong answers. Just have fun with it!

To kick things off:

Meowscarada?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Possibly both sweeper and lead. In my first SV Nuzrun I almost always lead with it because mine literally always one shot an opponent unless the opponent had massive defences.

Krookodile

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Possibly both sweeper and lead. In my first SV Nuzrun I almost always lead with it because mine literally always one shot an opponent unless the opponent had massive defences.

I'm actually happy to hear that you used a Grass/Dark-type for your Nuzlocke. Nice! lol

Krookodile

Physical sweeper. It has the Attack and Speed to do it somewhat well.

Golurk?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Assumes a normal playthrough. Likely lacks access to No Guard and good Trick Room teammates. Sees poor boosting options. Dislikes Body Press with its middling Defense and high Attack. Goes with Wallbreaker, in that case. Might hand it an Expert Belt over Choice Band, given its offensive coverage and Iron Fist. (Also depends if it has Power-Up Punch and can score some quick boosts.)

Palossand?

Years
  • Interesting game, maybe I'll learn something lol.
    Anyway, Palossand is quite hard to depict. I would go as a Lead. It has some interesting moves, but stats aren't amazing. I wouldn't count on its sp def. The ability is good, but the enemy can totally hit Palossand with more than water type moves. I'd stay safe and use it at the beginning to set stealth rocks and also destiny bond is pretty good too. It has nice moves like rock slide, which can be pretty good in doubles. Could count on giga-absorb as well, but not a special attacker. Moves like EQ and Poltergeist are pretty good. Basically, the strategy is to set stealth rocks and destiny bond and then resist and deliver some damage. Amnesia would be a nice strategy too in order to compensate the low sp def.

Crobat?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Death fodder Good Special Attack, but awful everywhere else. Still moves incredibly slow with Chlorophyll. Presumes little team benefit from Sunny Day.

In all honesty, primarily a Water and Ground counter. Nothing more. Would be a struggle to buff itself with Growth. Miiight be able to stall into buffs against a Special Attacker with Synthesis, Light Screen, Growth, and Giga Drain. Runs into a problem against whatever comes next. (Doubts enough passive healing from Ingrain, Leech Seed, and/or Grassy Terrain to pick them over Synthesis.)

Selects Giga Drain, Earth Power, Sludge Bomb, and Light Screen as its moveset. Deals with some Electric and Grass types (maybe) with this. Is Grassy Terrain worthwhile? ...Neh. Helps against Ground attacks and powers up Giga Drain. Favors Light Screen for more general team benefit.

(Additional note: Used Sunflora in Crystal. Tried some Growth strategies. Was not impressed. Served a second useful role...by using Flash on Red's Pikachu. Helped Smeargle do its thing.)

Farigiraf?

Years
  • Staller, I guess. NIce HP and defenses and not kinda ok attack. I mean, you could probably go belly drum+ berry and it would be quite strong. Otherwise, just physical moves is ok. I would find it interesting in doubles as I would boost defenses and HP stat and use it as an helping-hander and maybe rain setter.

Scrafty?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Depends on the team and game. In Scarlet/Violet? Probably mainly Debuffer. Sees a lot of physical leads there. Finds its physical bulk underwhelming for this role, admittedly. Learns lots of handy moves, however: Charm, Reflect, Hypnosis, Thunder Wave, and Encore. Could land a Mystical Fire or two for enemies with physical and special as a bonus.

Could go for Sweeper on some Elite Four members too. Identifies the Flying Elite Four as a decent candidate. Leads with Tropius. Moveset: Stored Power, Calm Mind, Draining Kiss, and Trick Room.
    1. Lay down six Calm Minds. Should be able to handle Tropius's meager hits with Leftovers.
    2. Set up Trick Room.
    3. Drain Tropius dry.
    4. Either beat Staraptor or undo/redo Trick Room. (Expires right as Flamigo comes out otherwise.)
    5. One-shot everything from there.

Convoluted, yes, but theoretically reasonable for a solo. (Feels really weird to consider Trick Room in singles, but whatever.)
    _________

Oricorio?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Likely a bulky attacker. Starts off the game awkwardly as Slowpoke (higher Attack than Special Attack). Evolves at 37. Probably chose someone else to buff up and sweep by then. Expects something like Surf, Psychic, Yawn, and Ice Beam.

Assuming no better option, perhaps a defense-based sweeper against teams without Dark type Pokemon?
    Without setup support: Iron Defense, Amnesia, Stored Power, and Slack Off.
    With support (and Leftovers): Body Press over Slack Off.

Should be sturdy enough to weather a critical, especially neutral damage ones. Notes one possible hiccup to be teaching these moves to Slowbro. Probably grabs the bulky attacker moves way easier.

(Kanto) Electrode?

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I would use Electrode as either a screen setter (Light Screen/Reflect) or suicide lead, meaning that I would use to explode if I need to.

Kanto Raichu?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Nasty Plot+Iron Tail

They'll never see it coming! :D

Kakuna?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Locked its moveset to Poison Sting, String Shot, Bug Bite, and Harden. Accomplishes nothing via direct damage with a base 25 Attack. Rarely sees opposing Pokemon with berries.

Debuffer. Slows down an enemy for another teammate to score an easier knockout. Helps the most against some Totem Pokemon's partner, probably. Thinks of Mimikyu's Haunter + Gengar (with Hypnosis). Miiiight score a lucky Poison against the Totem as a bonus, if it lives that long. (Uses up Mimikyu's Lum Berry, in that case.)

Hawlucha?

Years
  • How did I miss this game?

I would use Quagsire on a stall team as a physical wall since it's hp and physical defensive stats are it's passable stats. It has access to recover to stay in the game by healing, and toxic to wear down your enemy, it also has the ability unaware to prevent your opponent from trying to set up on you.

Dragonite?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Dragonite is so versatile. However, I would prefer to use it as a setup physical sweeper after using Dragon Dance, but during my playthroughs, such as my Brilliant Diamond playthrough, I used it as a special attacker.

Skeledirge?

Back