• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen9 mons you would like to add a type to?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So yep! Here is where we discuss which newly introduced mons that probably could use a type added to them.

As for my contributions, I know they are flightless birds, but I do think the Espathra line could be more than just pure Psychic. I'm okay with Psychic/Flying just for variety, or Psychic/Ground even since you can find them in the desert.

I think I've seen some "WAI ain't Houndstone a rawk taip when STONE iz in heez name" going around but personally if I had a say on what possible sub typing for Houndstone, I'd say Ground. The line usually show up by digging out of the ground, they learn Dig, they at least look like they can pass off a Ground mons. And Houndstone itself is half skeleton and bone attacks are all Ground moves.

Also, I'm considering saying to not mention the starters because I feel like everyones gonna mention them here.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Quaquaval could be Water/Fairy. Dancing and fighting is not the same thing, people.
    Maschiff and Mabosstiff could be Dark/Normal. They literally look like they can be regular dogs.
    Flittle and Espathra could be Psychic/Fairy. They just look like fairies to me, plain and simple.
    Palafin could be Water/Fighting. It looks more like a fighter than any other gen 9 Pokémon that is a Fighting-type, especially Quaquaval.
    Orthworm could be Ground/Steel. I don't see why an earthworm, especially one based on a subway train, which is to be ridden underground, isn't a Ground-type.
    Greavard and Houndstone could be Ghost/Ice, as they're typically found buried under snow. In addition, what happens when you die? Your body turns cold.
    Cetoddle and Cetitan could be Ice/Water. I get that they're land whales, but that doesn't mean they can't be amphibious. Real life whales would be able to live on land anyway if they didn't have flippers and such.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Tadbulb and Bellibolt are one of the few instances where I think adding a Water type would be justified. Water/Electric is too rare a typing as it is, and for Pokémon that live near rivers and learn a good amount of Water-type moves, them being pure Electric is strange to me.

I'm going to cheat and say I'd remove Squawkabilly's Normal type simply because I thought we were over this stupid dual type.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Tadbulb and Bellibolt are one of the few instances where I think adding a Water type is would be justified. Water/Electric is too rare a typing as it is, and for Pokémon that live near rivers and learn a good amount of Water-type moves, them being pure Electric is strange to me.

I'm going to cheat and say I'd remove Squawkabilly's Normal type simply because I thought we were over this stupid dual type.

For the first part, I remember seeing leaks claiming that line were gonna be Electric/Psychic. I would like to see that combination on more than just regional variants so I do wish that was their actual typing, or any kind of dual typing like Water/Electric as you memtioned.

As for the second part, I'd say you are allowed to 'cheat' as changing whole typings still adheres to the topic.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Skeledirge - Honestly, Ghost type just doesn't make sense. I understand they probably wanted to reference Day of the Dead, but they could have done it in a much better way. It is kind of annoying that we got two Fire/Ghost back to back. The only thing that makes it a ghost types is the being on its nose which is a completely different entity from Skeledirge and their is no explanation of why. Maybe I am missing some Spanish Myths or something, but it just doesn't really make sense. I feel like Psychic or Fairy would have been better. Or even just pure Fire.

Tadbulb and Bellibolt I agree completely with everything already said.

Klawf needs something. I don't understand why it was just a pure rock type. Maybe they just wanted the first titan to be easy, but why is it only rock? I mean it is clearly a bug or crab. Maybe they just didn't want to get it confused with Crustle line. Heck they look nearly identical to me. Heck even putting Normal on it would have been a bit better,

Espathra - Honestly not sure how this thing isn't a flying type. If not a flying type, then they could have added rock or ground to it's psychic type. I honestly forget this pokemon is Pure Psychic all the time.

Wugtrio - Should have had rock type or even ground.

Palafin Hero Form - I really think this pokemon should have gained Fighting when it changed. Give that Fighting types in Japan are often considered Heroes.

Dundunsparce - Let's be honest, Pokemon just made this to get fans to stop wanting an evolution for it. They could have at least changed the typing to Ground or even Dragon.

Arboliva - While not adding a type, I think it should have been pure Grass or Fairy to kinda match Seedot line.

Years
    • Seen today
    Add
    Dudunsparce > Normal/Ground
    Cetitan > Ice/FIghting
    Replace
    Skeledirge > Fire/Psychic
    Gholdengo > Ghost
    Flutter Mane > Fire/Fairy
    Great Tusk > Ground/Grass
    Miraidon > Steel/Dragon

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Bellibolt -> Water/Electric. This is generally found around water so I was shocked (no pun intended) to learn that it was not part Water type.

Palafin -> Water/Fighting. This change makes sense with the hero motif. Shame that I can never use it to its full potential in Tera raid battles.

Veluza -> Water/Dark. This thing is EVIL and ambushes you in the water area while your framerate drops and camera spins uncontrollably!

Garganacl -> Rock/Ground or Rock/Fighting. I used this on my in-game team and STAB Earthquake would have helped. It has huge fists so Rock/Fighting could have work. Currently, the only Rock/Fighting appears to be a legendary (Terrakion).

Flutter Mane -> Ghost/Psychic - I associate this line with Psychic types so much I often forget the Paradox is part Fairy type. The Misdreavus line reminds me more of witchcraft and casting spells or other mind tricks.

Iron Treads -> part Electric. Although Ground/Steel isn't necessarily bad, this Pokemon learns several Electric moves. It was a missed opportunity to make future Donphan stand out more. I know Sandy Shocks exists, but Magneton was an odd pick IMO. Prehistoric Dragapult makes more sense to me (this way the version exclusives for pseudos are mirrored as Tyranitar/Hydreigon and Salamence/Dragapult). Also, Dreepy's Pokedex page makes a reference to a time this Pokemon was alive / non Ghost type. "Violet: It has a habit of biting at Clauncher even though it doesn't feed on them. This is said to be vestigial behavior from when Dreepy was alive." Dragon/Bug has not been used yet. Maybe prehistoric Dragapult likely crawled around because it didn't float until it was a ghost.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Meowscarada - Grass/Electric
    Skeledirge - Fire/Ground
    Quaquaval - Water/Flying
    Flittle/Espathra - Psychic/Flying
    Spidops - Bug/Dark or Bug/Fighting
    Tadbulb/Bellibolt - Electric/Water
    Orthworm - Steel/Ground
    Farigiraf - Psychic/Dark

I was rather surprised when I discovered that Veluza was Water/Psychic based on its design I thought it was Water/Poison.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I would swap Bug/Dark to be Spidops (since it's obviously supposed to be special forces or an assassin) and make Lokix a Bug/Fighting type.

Flying I would add to Flittle/Espathra

Steel I would add/swap to all of Violet Area Zero Pokémon.

Years
  • Everything TwilightBlade said for me, basically. I also agree that Quaquaval would make a good water/fairy type and Espathra a good psychic/ground type - certainly would make for some unique combinations. 👍

Back