• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anti Virus software you use nowadays?

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
I don't really use antivirus, and I'd disable Windows Defender if I could. But I mostly just use Windows for gaming/modding and do everything else on other setups, so my use case is atypical. I've heard ClamWin is good if you're a minimalist like meself, but I've not personally used it.

Days
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 28, 2023
Some popular options include Avast, AVG, Norton, Kaspersky, and McAfee. Keep in mind It's important to choose an antivirus software that offers reliable protection against malware and viruses, has a good track record, and fits your budget and needs.

Days
Antivirusus are, as a whole, pretty much outmoded ever since Windows Defender was able to be included and made a serious option. Paid antiviruses have a long history of overselling their importance and using tactics that are unfortunately pretty malware-like themselves. The best protection against malware isn't an antivirus program, it's Prevention. By that line of reasoning, the best antivirus program in the world, by a country mile, is an Adblocker. If there are no ads to trick you, if you know how to be responsible with your email inbox, if you don't run unfamiliar programs and don't pirate programs, then malware isn't too serious of a threat for you. If you have a reason to regularly break those guidelines, you can go ahead and pick up Malwarebytes.

Years
Antivirusus are, as a whole, pretty much outmoded ever since Windows Defender was able to be included and made a serious option. Paid antiviruses have a long history of overselling their importance and using tactics that are unfortunately pretty malware-like themselves. The best protection against malware isn't an antivirus program, it's Prevention. By that line of reasoning, the best antivirus program in the world, by a country mile, is an Adblocker. If there are no ads to trick you, if you know how to be responsible with your email inbox, if you don't run unfamiliar programs and don't pirate programs, then malware isn't too serious of a threat for you. If you have a reason to regularly break those guidelines, you can go ahead and pick up Malwarebytes.

I will say that, as far as detection goes, while Windows Defender is adequate for most, it's about low-midrange on actual detections. Beats the hell out of AVs that most people have heard of like Norton (dumpster fire) and McAfee (wouldn't touch with a 39 1/2 foot long pole), for example, but it's inferior to AVs like those in eset's lineup.

Source: am IT professional who has occasionally dug into AV performance for my employer on occasion.

Days
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 3, 2023
not at all, since all sites are using https and google will check if the site is good, its almost no need to use a antivirus, if you insist, just get a free one

spinomania

Tech Guru
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 4, 2023
Antivirus as I understand it is already built into the latest Windows 11 and you do not need to download third-party software

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I have a chromebook so no idea what the default anti virus software is. Doesn't matter I suppose because I can't seem to download anything on this. It's also easy enough to spot suspicious links.

BWZ

Days
  • Seen yesterday
I used to have Nod32 in the past but realized that Windows Defender + a little bit of commonsense.exe is more than enough nowadays. In my experience, antivirus software just slows down my pc for close to no added value.

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen yesterday
I used to have Nod32 in the past but realized that Windows Defender + a little bit of commonsense.exe is more than enough nowadays. In my experience, antivirus software just slows down my pc for close to no added value.
Yeah, pretty much. I don't sub to any anti virus anymore. I got one with my subscription to Geek Squad years back and used it. Common sense and Windows Defender is all I need.

Back