• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon passes 200 million sales

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
That's great news!!!

Also, I take this to mean there is no end in sight, and I'm happy about that. :)

blue

gucci
Years
This is interesting.

I remember reading a while back that it had surpassed the total 250 million mark, clearly the sales figures are still going strong. The release of Sun & Moon will probably boost that figure by another 10 million taking it closer to 300 million total sales!

Last edited:
Years
This is a great achievement for Pokemon, and even with the fierce competitor that is Yo-Kai Watch, it appears Pokemon is still going strong and will likely never see the end anytime soon.

Now to hope that Sun & Moon will get the sales figures even further...

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
That… is impressive. Hope this means Pokémon is still doing really well across the globe. The company heads down in Japan seem to be at their toes about Yo-Kai Watch after all.

Have you played the demo of Yo-kai Watch? I really enjoyed it. Not as much as Pokemon, mind. There's something a lot more childish about it but it is fun.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Have you played the demo of Yo-kai Watch? I really enjoyed it. Not as much as Pokemon, mind. There's something a lot more childish about it but it is fun.

I'm not the person you're quoting, but still, I'll admit, I haven't been able to bring myself to try Yo-kai Watch. I love Pokemon, so if it's similar, I would probably enjoy it. But I'm reluctant to actively support anything that could cut into Pokemon's sales and success. Even though I would still be buying Pokemon, so it would balance out, I'm afraid that an increase in sales of a competing game might force the franchise in a simpler, more childish direction, and while I get the sense that might happen anyway (the simplicity, at least), I don't want to encourage it. So the demo download icon continues to sit on my 3DS home screen. Maybe I'll give the demo a try sometime soon; it won't cost anything, at least.

Re: Pokemon sales, I'm glad to see that Pokemon is doing well. I think the rate has slowed down since the early days, but the series definitely doesn't look like it's in danger of stopping anytime soon. I'm also glad to see that the new VC releases have done so well, as I'm hoping that will nudge Nintendo/GF in the direction of re-releasing GSC as well.

Fannie

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
I'm not the person you're quoting, but still, I'll admit, I haven't been able to bring myself to try Yo-kai Watch. I love Pokemon, so if it's similar, I would probably enjoy it. But I'm reluctant to actively support anything that could cut into Pokemon's sales and success. Even though I would still be buying Pokemon, so it would balance out, I'm afraid that an increase in sales of a competing game might force the franchise in a simpler, more childish direction, and while I get the sense that might happen anyway (the simplicity, at least), I don't want to encourage it. So the demo download icon continues to sit on my 3DS home screen. Maybe I'll give the demo a try sometime soon; it won't cost anything, at least.

Re: Pokemon sales, I'm glad to see that Pokemon is doing well. I think the rate has slowed down since the early days, but the series definitely doesn't look like it's in danger of stopping anytime soon. I'm also glad to see that the new VC releases have done so well, as I'm hoping that will nudge Nintendo/GF in the direction of re-releasing GSC as well.

You're a person of conviction. I admire that :) Hopefully Pokemon doesn't become more childish. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Blue lately and damn is the game harder than recent ones. Although, there are so many complex features related to competitive battling that I can't see them getting rid of, no matter how simple the main story gets.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
You're a person of conviction. I admire that :) Hopefully Pokemon doesn't become more childish. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Blue lately and damn is the game harder than recent ones. Although, there are so many complex features related to competitive battling that I can't see them getting rid of, no matter how simple the main story gets.

Thanks! :)

I sincerely hope they don't dumb down the battling too much. I like the improvements in breeding (IVs, natures, egg move passage, etc.), EV visibility via super training (though I wish they would just show us exact numbers), and the like, as they make it easier for competitive players to breed and train high-level Pokemon (without having to resort to the use of outside devices or complicated maneuvers to manipulate the game's RNG enough to get the desired IV spread). But I wonder about what they'll do to combine the RBY mechanics with the modern ones. There are simple ways they could do it (e.g., double the IV and round up, so 31 isn't hard to get, while preferably doing something to make zero IVs possible for trick room teams or special sweepers), and they could even allow IV adjustment via items (though I wonder if that would take too much fun out of breeding), but they could also just do away with IVs entirely, which would wreak havoc on the competitive scene. Hidden Power type could have something to do with personality value instead, since they've done away with the damage variation already.

I also hope that the games don't become too easy/watered down. Pokemon has never been a difficult series, but one of the things I've always appreciated about it is the different levels of depth it can be played at. I think RBY are a little more difficult than the modern games, in some ways (especially without modern Exp. Share components), but the amount of effort you put into it can vary depending on your age and skill level. When I first played Red, I picked up a Squirtle without checking its stats and powered through the game with my Blastoise, not worrying about building a proper team. The game was still challenging because the caves seemed difficult to navigate back then, and I got lost far more than I do today. Moreover, my Blastoise had a terrible moveset, and though things became easier the more of a level advantage I acquired, it struggled a lot at first against certain types. This time around, I'm playing a challenge, so I'm still not catching every Pokemon I encounter, but I found myself resetting 10+ times before settling on a starter with the stats I liked. I'm trying to build a competitive team as I go along, and that adds a different degree of difficulty. It still isn't what I would call challenging, but I've been able to explore the series in different ways as I've grown as a player. Whatever changes GF may make to the series over time, I hope they don't eliminate that element.

Will an attempt to copy Yo-kai Watch lead to a watered down outcome? Probably not. From a couple of articles I've read, it sounds like the game does have some sort of IV system itself, though not as involved as Pokemon's. But unfortunately, sometimes when companies try to cater to a younger audience (the one that likes Yo-kai Watch, for example), they not only make the plots more childish, but water down mechanics and features as well, not wanting the game to seem too complex and intimidating. I have no problem with options that assist the player, and I've never been bothered by games having easy modes, invincibility options if you fail, etc., so long as those are options. I just fear that simplification could eventually lead to both a childish story without hidden layers of depth (let's face it, RBY's plot was simple, but if you think about some of the things Team Rocket was plotting in the background, it was a lot more sinister than it appeared on the surface) as well as a simplified system of battle mechanics. Hopefully GF and Nintendo recognize that the complexity of Pokemon is important to players, and they won't try to change that. Because if not, Pokemon may turn into an overly-linear RPG, with a simple story, less in the way of an engaging metagame, and far less replayability than it has now.

In the meantime, here's to the next 20 years of Pokemon, and the next 200 million sales! And on that note, I should stop procrastinating and get back to real life. :)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Not sure how everyone here is thinking 200 million overall sales would indicate GSC VC releases, considering that GSC sold less than RBY the first time they were out.

Fannie

Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Not sure how everyone here is thinking 200 million overall sales would indicate GSC VC releases, considering that GSC sold less than RBY the first time they were out.

Maybe so but that was inevitable. A signifigant amount of money could still be made by releasing GSC. Just because it wouldn't be as much as the originals doesn't mean it should be disregarded. Imagine if that was the case universally. A lot of my favourite games wouldn't exist.

Back