• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon games with the most/least replay value?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This can apply to all types of Pokemon games, by the way. But, which Pokemon games do you think have the most replay value? Which do you think have the least?

For me, most, from a main series point of view: the Black2/White 2. Also, Emerald, SoulSilver (because I completed the Pokedex in heartgold I refuse to delete that save file) and Platinum.

Least: gen i because once I finished those, I declared I'm never playing those games ever again and called it a life. Also X/Y because when I finished those I had no feeling of wanting to play those ever again. Tbh, most of the modern Pokemon games after gen v are ones I've only wished to play through once since deleting my save file is already impossible anyway. (I cannot trigger the sequence because my r key is broken!)

For spin-offs:

most replay value: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I've replayed these games so many times! Except Super. Never will. That game is a once only. Never going through that story ever again LOL. Also, Pokemon Conquest has a big post game where you can play as every single character, so that one gets a huge plus from me.

least replay value: going to be honest on this one, but if we're going off of not bias against? Probably Pokemon Ranger, the original one. I remember trying to replay it recently, and got as far as Charizard and dying there. (When I replay Pokemon Ranger I use quicksave so I don't lose my real file) and have since that incident have not wanted to ever replay any of the ranger games. They're just... no. Nowadays. I love them, but they can be rather frustrating at times enough to the point where I'd rather not bother anymore as an adult.

Also, wouldn't want to restart Pokemon Go if I lose my account, tbh. Waste of time.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I'm just going to think about the main series games for this one. I would say personally the game with the least replay value is sun/moon/usum. I like these games, but being unable to skip the cut scenes made replaying a drag. Last playthrough of ultra sun I stopped midway due to this. As for the most replay value I find Emerald and Platinum to be evenly up there for me. The frontier in both keeps it worth while enough for me to want to invest time in either game with different teams.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Playing with a different team, and self-imposed challenges, are pretty much all the replay value I find in Pokémon games. Other than that, I don't think any of them offer much in this aspect, you'll experience exactly the same story, do the same things in the same locations and battle the same trainers with the same teams, nothing else will change unless you're playing a "third version" with some changes and additions, but in that case it wouldn't be replaying since it's technically a new game.

Essentially, replay value in Pokémon games comes from the player, not from the games. The most replayable are probably B2/W2 because you can play the game, then replay it on Challenge mode which will change things up a bit.

Years
hmmm i think they're all kinda replayable if u make changes, in the team for example. also, replaying some games was good to better understand the story. so, i think it depends from person to person, but some pokemon games are just versatile and therefore u can replay them in many ways. maybe the one which has less chances is LGPE cuz there are only few pokemon, so u can't change a lot

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I own LeafGreen, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, HeartGold, Black, and Black 2. Of those, I find the Gen III to be the most replayable due to hardware - I can't trade on them, therefore I can't accumulate a large amount of trained Pokémon, attempt to complete the Pokédex etc. so there's always a logical end-point at which I transfer on to Gen IV and reset. LeafGreen just seems so simplified in comparison to any other I own (whilst being less prescriptive than the story-driven Black), whilst Emerald was my first game and holds abundant nostalgia value (as well as being a great game).
HeartGold is my favourite to play though - Pokéwalker is a great gadget, I actually completed it last year, there's an incredible amount of Pokémon available, the touch screen actually gets consistent use rather than wearing out my A button, Pokethlon is cool too (again, completed it last year!), and because I have two DS systems I can enjoy all the trade evolutions. Plus it has the best breeding features of my Gen IV games so I even used it to breed my Platinum team. Oh, and it has my two favourite champion battles in Lance (Dragons are my favourite, I know that's basic but meh) and Red on that mountaintop.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
Years
The clear winner is Kalos for the fact that I didn't enjoy the easiest pokemon game ever.
I don't play pokemon for it's challenge, but if the gym leaders had more pokemon, the the elite four didn't have four pokemon, and some of the other bosses had megas then it would be pretty good.

Also your friends were losers.

Years
Most replayable, other than the newer games because of the massive variety of Pokémon, would be FRLG for me. I loved the VS Seeker since it always made sure to help me not stay underleveled, and the remixed Kanto music was always a joy to hear too. They're just a lot of fun for me and I always enjoy replaying. TCG for the GBC was another favorite of mine and I always had fun replaying it. <3 More great tracks and various cards to try made it enjoyable.

The least replayable, from a convenience standpoint, would probably be RBY? Very limited single bag space + having to switch your PC manually if you wanted to catch things was a huge struggle. Not to mention the limited Pokémon available and constant glitches. Sorry RBY, I love you but replaying you can be tough.

Back