• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
Years
If Wolfsburg or Man City go to the semis, it'll be a blast. It probably will be easy for Real to overcome Wolfsburg's score at the Bernabeu, but let's see if Wolfsburg will play the same way they did on the 1st game. Also, Benfica is beastly. They were hindered by Vidal's early goal, but they kept on and played really well.

Years
I don't think that Real is going to overcome wolfsburg's score.
This actually reminds me the game vs dortmund at the semi-finals of UCL.
I think that Real is going to win with a score of 1-0.
Also, Barcelona will have a difficult time at vicente calderon.
I really hope that Benfica will win because I don't like Bayern at all.
And last, About Paris saint germain VS Manchester city. I hope that Ibrahimovic or Cavani can do something in England because I hate Manchester city.

Years
Saw only the first half. Had Origi scored off the last chance, the match would have been sealed then and there. Anyways 1-1 is still a good return. If we can stop Dortmund from scoring or win outright, we will go through.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Barça are losing 1-0 against Real right now and, after losing to Madrid last week, the league is miraculously back on. Still the second half to go, but Real have defeated Barça several times over the past years so it won't be easy. Now I'm really pissed that we lost against Sporting so clumsily just two weeks ago, we could be tied on points with them :/

I really wish I also get to see a 1-0 on Wednesday. We have scored first in all three games against Barça this year- we just need to lock the goal after that and we'll be golden.

Aaaand FT. Real 1 - 0 Barça. We just need to get the same result next week and we are in.

Last edited:
Years
Man, it sucks to be an Arsenal fan sometimes. I think it is safe to say that we are definatley out of the running now. Would not have expected that from Carroll of all people. Hope that Leicester win the prem now, definatley favourites at this point!

Years
Another win for the Boro, one more on Tuesday and we will have came through the 'easy run' of games without slipping. Hopefully Notts Forest do a job for us tonight to relieve some pressure. We could potentially have a very healthy seven point gap to third by the end of Tuesday, but obviously I'm not overly optimistic about that happening.

Time to watch the Sunderland-Leicester game. Something tells me this might be the game were Sunderland start their late escape, hopefully I'm wrong for many reasons.

Barça are losing 1-0 against Real right now and, after losing to Madrid last week, the league is miraculously back on. Still the second half to go, but Real have defeated Barça several times over the past years so it won't be easy. Now I'm really pissed that we lost against Sporting so clumsily just two weeks ago, we could be tied on points with them :/

I really wish I also get to see a 1-0 on Wednesday. We have scored first in all three games against Barça this year- we just need to lock the goal after that and we'll be golden.

Aaaand FT. Real 1 - 0 Barça. We just need to get the same result next week and we are in.

I hadn't realised how close the league had become again from those two Barca defeats. Hopefully they continue to slip to make it even more interesting.

How did you feel about Torres getting sent off? It was probably one of the more stupid red cards that I've seen.

Man, it sucks to be an Arsenal fan sometimes. I think it is safe to say that we are definatley out of the running now. Would not have expected that from Carroll of all people. Hope that Leicester win the prem now, definatley favourites at this point!

Carroll can be a very effective striker, but he's horribly inconsistent. It's not too surprising when he pops up with this kind of performance. In the right system with fewer injuries, he could probably be a fifteen goal a season striker, but unfortunately that's not the case. That said I find it amazing that people would call for his England inclusion, we have done perfectly fine without him and he doesn't really represent that right sort of striker for Roy's system and of course calling up a player for one performance is ridiculous.

Arsenal have missed their big opportunity this season. If we need any further confirmation that Wenger won't win another title before retiring this is probably it.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, if we can't beat that at home then we deserve to go down.

Can't see anybody but the current top 2 getting the automatics in the Champs. Hope Wednesday win the playoffs.

I was going to say I told you I saw a 0-1 but Vardy had to score in the last second and ruin their nice binary run.

...incidentally, I just found out we apparently are Leicester's worst European nightmare. Fun times.

Bo48ca8.png

Leicester's last-10-minutes performances are unbelieveable so far.

How did you feel about Torres getting sent off? It was probably one of the more stupid red cards that I've seen.

It was stupid but I wasn't particularly angered at the ref or anything. He was pretty idiotic to fall for such a moronic double booking. I'm disappointed in him but eh, what can you do. It wasn't a robbery, just strict refereeing, and that's what we are supposed to be used to anyway.

Last edited:
Years
I feel like I might have missed my opportunity to enjoy Boro in Europe. Hopefully we get another chance at it.

That is certainly a fun fact in relation to Leicester's European record. It would be cool to see both clubs in the same group next year.

How are you feeling about Bamford at the moment LV? I had a quick pop on the pinkun yesterday and the overall impression seems pretty poor.

Years
We'd have had more seasons in Europe if it wasn't for Liverpool fans being animals. Well, slightly worse animals than a lot of the other animal football fans of the era.

I remember that Boro European run well, Football on 5 was pretty good.

How are you feeling about Bamford at the moment LV? I had a quick pop on the pinkun yesterday and the overall impression seems pretty poor.

He's not played much yet and not really made any great impressions from the bench. He was at his best in the Man City game, which he started. He held the ball up in that game a hell of a lot better than I would have thought possible. Palace was his worst game so it's not surprising that our forum was a little bit more negative towards him yesterday, he only played a cameo role in the game but it was quite clear that the Palace fans got into his head. Considering what's up for grabs now it's perhaps not the best time to try and introduce a freshly loaned in young forward.

I've seen enough from him, mostly in a Boro shirt, that if we went in for him in the summer I'd be happy enough. I could actually imagine both of our sides trying to sign him come June and July.

Harry Kane was a boo boy on the Pinkun btw, so take whatever you've read with a bucket of salt.

Years
Yeah, they have an air of the QPR about them at the moment. We played them last week and it looked as if only one or two of their players actually cared.

At least they're not Villa though, people will buy from Newcastle if they go down so they won't struggle financially. Villa's squad is dire.

Years
The Norwich - Sunderland game will be interesting on Saturday, considering the relegation battle. In all honesty I expect Norwich to stay up. Anyone know when the Euro squad is going to be announced?

Years
Agh Forest you bottlers :( Oh well if we take care of our own business tonight, we're still in a good position.

It seems a lot of Leicester fans have been shafted by a poorly managed membership system when trying to buy tickets for their last game. I remember we had a few problems with that last year as people tried to get Wembley tickets. Do any English teams not have this problem with loyalty systems?

...I'd rather not, because that'd mean one of then will have not won their league :P

Ah never mind then, I didn't know about that seeding rule.

I've seen enough from him, mostly in a Boro shirt, that if we went in for him in the summer I'd be happy enough. I could actually imagine both of our sides trying to sign him come June and July.

Harry Kane was a boo boy on the Pinkun btw, so take whatever you've read with a bucket of salt.

I would be happy to see Bamf return, his replacement Stuani hasn't really worked out.

In defence of the pinkun, I think most people who had seen Kane before last season were pretty dismissive and perhaps rightly so.

At least they're not Villa though, people will buy from Newcastle if they go down so they won't struggle financially. Villa's squad is dire.

I read a post on reddit about Shelvey being on £80k a week even if they go down, so they might struggle to sell if those sort of ridiculous wages are spread throughout the squad.

The Norwich - Sunderland game will be interesting on Saturday, considering the relegation battle. In all honesty I expect Norwich to stay up. Anyone know when the Euro squad is going to be announced?

12th May it would appear. Final UEFA deadline is 31st. Strangely the squad is supposed to come together before the Fa Cup final.

Back