• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Saiken (UPDATE! New Year's Eve. Happy 2015!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    Hello! I was on vacation since the last update, so i couldn't work on the hack. I'll resume the work now, although more slowly because my classes restart this week.

Well, i want more participation off you guys. I only asked feedback until now. Here's what i want to know:

What you guys want to see in Saiken?

What you guys don't want to see in Saiken?

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
    Years
  • Hello! I was on vacation since the last update, so i couldn't work on the hack. I'll resume the work now, although more slowly because my classes restart this week.

Well, i want more participation off you guys. I only asked feedback until now. Here's what i want to know:

Don't worry about the school thing, most people should be starting around this time. As for I would like to see, surprise me! I'll accept anything in hacks since the differences from the norm, as well as the quirkiness of them, makes them likable.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • The only thing Id like to see in any hack is for the rival appear alot and also if you can implement it a skateboard instead of a bike cause skateboards are cool.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
    Years
  • The only thing Id like to see in any hack is for the rival appear alot and also if you can implement it a skateboard instead of a bike cause skateboards are cool.
    Please, don't. I just don't like seeing skateboards in Pokemon Games. I've seen it done before and it didn't look halfway decent. Sorry, but I'm completely against this one.
    Hello! I was on vacation since the last update, so i couldn't work on the hack. I'll resume the work now, although more slowly because my classes restart this week.

First and foremost, I absolutely LOVE the music so far! That wild battle music <3 Truly the best custom audio track I've heard in a Pokemon Hack! The Route A music was spot on too! Very impressive!

I definitely want to see more Metallica canon (am I using this term correctly?)

My complaints thus far, in no particular order:

• Sanders sprites are blue on his Trainer Card, but black in OW. Just bugs me for some reason.
    • A few grammatical errors here and there, I'll give detailed reports of this as soon as we have a beta~ I'd be more than happy to do this for you, since I'm a bit of a grammar nazi lol. I was actually going to give some specific errors I had seen in the videos/screenshots, but I decided it might be better to wait until I can see the whole conversation at my own pace, for accuracy. (You mentioned that English is not your native language, so please don't take this as an insult! I'm eager to help in this regard!)
    • As aforementioned by Lemongrass, it isn't piracy to profit from selling hacks. So the intro about piracy doesn't fit the implied meaning. A small issue, and should be pretty easy to fix, but it deserves mention.
    • No demo available! I just want a pre-beta so I can see the sprites in action! xD
    • Route A has Taillow? I guess we are going to see a wide variety of Pokemon in this.. I was hoping for Gen I and Gen II only, but oh well. It will be a living hell to devamp all of those sprites..
    • Lastly, Route A.. I guess it's just weird to see it as a number instead of a letter, but I don't like it for some reason. Though I don't ask that you change it, just wanted to complain about it lol.
    And now we get to the reasons I love this hack, in no particular order:

• Metallica homage <3 Thank you so much for that! Though I admit I had to listen a second time to find it xD
    • Old sprites, new system: A perfect situation for genwunners and it gives that perfect nostalgia without sacrificing any of the FR/LG features! Thank you so much! It's like a dream come true!
    • Kirlia was devamped~ By far the cutest Pokemon from Gen III-V in my opinion! Though also pretty powerful for a Pokemon that isn't fully evolved, so double win! It's a shame that it's 50% male, I wish it was 100% female xD Ah well, can't win 'em all!
    • MC's house - Another room... Mom's room? Anyway, loved the map there! Very well done! Also really liked the house you entered in the first video, with the husband who loves quiet places and the wife that wants to live in the city. I was very happy with that, though it was a little strange to see that other room in the same map instead of a warp point.
    • DECAPITALIZATION! I really hated playing Pokemon Games because it was 90% caps 10% normal text. This is by far my biggest pet peeve with Pokemon in general. So it should go without saying, I absolutely love decapitalization!
    • World Map looks very well done! It's nice to see the old style sprites with a custom world map! Very nice!
    My last question is this: Will we see a pre-beta? Meaning, will we see a beta before the first gym is complete? I'd like to test current features before that, and I think it might increase awareness for this if you add such. The rules clearly state that if you want to make a thread in the hack showcase you need a beta of at least one Gym, but this thread isn't in the Hack Showcase. :)

Also, I saw this thread a while ago, but I didn't reply. I honestly don't remember why I didn't post but I'm happy I found it again!

Really looking forward to this hack's progress! And don't worry about time, we can definitely wait for a hack this good! All good things take time, after all. And school is very important, so hacking can wait xD

Thank you for reading! Also, sorry about the "Thanks" spam xD I wish more people used that system lol.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    Please, don't. I just don't like seeing skateboards in Pokemon Games. I've seen it done before and it didn't look halfway decent. Sorry, but I'm completely against this one.

First and foremost, I absolutely LOVE the music so far! That wild battle music <3 Truly the best custom audio track I've heard in a Pokemon Hack! The Route A music was spot on too! Very impressive!

I definitely want to see more Metallica canon (am I using this term correctly?)

My complaints thus far, in no particular order:

• Sanders sprites are blue on his Trainer Card, but black in OW. Just bugs me for some reason.
    • A few grammatical errors here and there, I'll give detailed reports of this as soon as we have a beta~ I'd be more than happy to do this for you, since I'm a bit of a grammar nazi lol. I was actually going to give some specific errors I had seen in the videos/screenshots, but I decided it might be better to wait until I can see the whole conversation at my own pace, for accuracy. (You mentioned that English is not your native language, so please don't take this as an insult! I'm eager to help in this regard!)
    • As aforementioned by Lemongrass, it isn't piracy to profit from selling hacks. So the intro about piracy doesn't fit the implied meaning. A small issue, and should be pretty easy to fix, but it deserves mention.
    • No demo available! I just want a pre-beta so I can see the sprites in action! xD
    • Route A has Taillow? I guess we are going to see a wide variety of Pokemon in this.. I was hoping for Gen I and Gen II only, but oh well. It will be a living hell to devamp all of those sprites..
    • Lastly, Route A.. I guess it's just weird to see it as a number instead of a letter, but I don't like it for some reason. Though I don't ask that you change it, just wanted to complain about it lol.
    And now we get to the reasons I love this hack, in no particular order:

• Metallica homage <3 Thank you so much for that! Though I admit I had to listen a second time to find it xD
    • Old sprites, new system: A perfect situation for genwunners and it gives that perfect nostalgia without sacrificing any of the FR/LG features! Thank you so much! It's like a dream come true!
    • Kirlia was devamped~ By far the cutest Pokemon from Gen III-V in my opinion! Though also pretty powerful for a Pokemon that isn't fully evolved, so double win! It's a shame that it's 50% male, I wish it was 100% female xD Ah well, can't win 'em all!
    • MC's house - Another room... Mom's room? Anyway, loved the map there! Very well done! Also really liked the house you entered in the first video, with the husband who loves quiet places and the wife that wants to live in the city. I was very happy with that, though it was a little strange to see that other room in the same map instead of a warp point.
    • DECAPITALIZATION! I really hated playing Pokemon Games because it was 90% caps 10% normal text. This is by far my biggest pet peeve with Pokemon in general. So it should go without saying, I absolutely love decapitalization!
    • World Map looks very well done! It's nice to see the old style sprites with a custom world map! Very nice!
    My last question is this: Will we see a pre-beta? Meaning, will we see a beta before the first gym is complete? I'd like to test current features before that, and I think it might increase awareness for this if you add such. The rules clearly state that if you want to make a thread in the hack showcase you need a beta of at least one Gym, but this thread isn't in the Hack Showcase. :)

Also, I saw this thread a while ago, but I didn't reply. I honestly don't remember why I didn't post but I'm happy I found it again!

Really looking forward to this hack's progress! And don't worry about time, we can definitely wait for a hack this good! All good things take time, after all. And school is very important, so hacking can wait xD

Thank you for reading! Also, sorry about the "Thanks" spam xD I wish more people used that system lol.

Yeah, skateboard is no good. We'll have to go with the traditional bike, haha

Sanders is blue on the OW too! The OW and the battle sprite share the same palletes. Look:

7544e06508.png

Maybe I should make the blue more lighter, dunno. Thanks for pointing it!

About the piracy thing, I meant the bootleg cartridges that usually pops out from nothing, like the ones from Chaos Black, Naranja etc etc. Since they are not official Nintendo cartridges, they are classified as piracy I think? Who would sell a .ips patch, anyway? {XD}

Yes, we'll see pokémon from Gen I to VI on the hack! Although not all of them. Eshipi will have its own Regional Dex, with 100~200 pokémon.

Route "A" weirds me out too {XD} But i didn't want to start from Route 1, and starting with another number just feels wrong for me (GSC is a exception). But we should agree that it stands out since it's different, huh? :)

About a beta: I'll release one after everything that matters until the 1st gym is done. I think 70% is done (mapping, scripting, spriting, etc). I was thinking in getting some people to test the rom as it is now, I'll let you guys know.

-

And thank you for all the compliments <3 it means a lot for the team (actually me and my friend). I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but we are definitely working on it! Stay tuned {<3}

(and sorry if i sounded confusing i'm in a hurry :3c)

Bliss

Years
  • Sanders is blue on the OW too! The OW and the battle sprite share the same palletes. Look:
    Spoiler:
    Maybe I should make the blue more lighter, dunno. Thanks for pointing it!

About the piracy thing, I meant the bootleg cartridges that usually pops out from nothing, like the ones from Chaos Black, Naranja etc etc. Since they are not official Nintendo cartridges, they are classified as piracy I think? Who would sell a .ips patch, anyway? {XD}

Yes, we'll see pokémon from Gen I to VI on the hack! Although not all of them. Eshipi will have its own Regional Dex, with 100~200 pokémon.

Route "A" weirds me out too {XD} But i didn't want to start from Route 1, and starting with another number just feels wrong for me (GSC is a exception). But we should agree that it stands out since it's different, huh? :)

About a beta: I'll release one after everything that matters until the 1st gym is done. I think 70% is done (mapping, scripting, spriting, etc). I was thinking in getting some people to test the rom as it is now, I'll let you guys know.

-

And thank you for all the compliments <3 it means a lot for the team (actually me and my friend). I'm sorry for the lack of updates, but we are definitely working on it! Stay tuned {<3}

(and sorry if i sounded confusing i'm in a hurry :3c)
    Sprite: Oh, I didn't notice. I thought it was black lol. Maybe it would be a good idea to make it a lighter blue, as you said, but it's up to you~

Piracy: I see what you mean now. I hadn't thought about it as far as physical hacking goes. That's a skill set I don't have and probably will never get lol. And selling .ips patches? I've seen it done >.>' Hope I don't see it again :/

Pokemon: I just HAVE to ask, will we see a Vulpix? :3 Vulpix is my all time favorite Pokemon! So yeah, I had to ask xD

Route A: Hmm. In a lot of Pokemon Hacks with unique regions I often see that there are no typical routes. Instead, the developers name each road differently. "Pallet Path" "Dusk Road" et cetera. Just a thought, but coming up with that many names might be a bit difficult lol. I know I'd struggle with it!

Beta: I'm definitely keeping my eye out for updates to this thread! I've been addicted to some modified Lavender Town music the last couple of days and it keeps reminding me of this hack! Can't wait to see some more updates! Beta, Beta, Beta~~ I'm really looking forward to it~! Gym or no gym, I can't wait to play this one!

Thanks for the reply! As I said before, don't worry about how long things take. Good things come to those who wait, so I will wait... impatiently. x3

EDIT: Concerning the sprites for the male MC (I forgot his name >.<') maybe make his hair just a bit lighter. Instead of black hair (with that blue shine/streak) have dark blue? Just thought I'd suggest this after having another look with a side by side comparison. Again, doesn't really matter, just thought I'd make a suggestion since I pointed it out already.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    Here, a little sneakpeek:

76f4f13388.PNG

The female backsprite is already finished, working on the male backsprite now.

We already have three more finished tracks for the hack (Gym leader battle, Evolution and Cave theme), and some other things. Nothing too big, so I will show almost everything in just one huge (i hope) update in the future, including the sprites.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • I love the fact that you're combining the graphics of several generations and reverting them back to the second one!
    The backsprites look amazing and I really can't wait to hear the gym leader theme!

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    Oh damyn ~

I keep getting jealous of how your hack looks to mine.
    *bows down to you*
    I AM NOT WORTHY!

Bliss

Years
  • Relevant?

2dc888779c.PNG

(No, i don't know what is a "screen capture button".)
    "Print Screen" button discovered! Just to the right of F12.

Of course, that's assuming you are using a keyboard with such a button.

Just print screen, paste in Paint, crop, upload, link, and done. (I've heard of a certain online program that allows you to crop and edit pictures after uploading, but I can't remember it's name. Would save a bit of trouble.)

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Sorry for writing in an inactive thread, i just wanted to say that this hack looks really awesome and i am looking forward to playing it, even as an alpha version. Also, thanks for your work so far!

Ricochett

switched account.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2015
    Looking at the screenshots, I feel the sense of nostalgia and missing the old graphics. This though, in GBA, I love it! The 8-bit music? Yesssss. All so nostalgic! Keeping an eye on this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Don't post in threads in the Progressing Hacks section that are over a month old, please. :)

Bliss

Years
  • Christos said:
    Thread re-opened, as requested by the creator. Good luck on this, joltjolteon! :)
    This is the best news I've had all week!

Really looking forward to the updates! Keep us posted, joltjolteon!

Any big changes while we were away?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    Thread re-opened, as requested by the creator. Good luck on this, joltjolteon! :)

Thanks!

This is the best news I've had all week!

Really looking forward to the updates! Keep us posted, joltjolteon!

Any big changes while we were away?

Haha, i'm glad you are happy. Nothing too big I guess, but yeah, we have lots of updates! I will post them little by little though, because then we'll have weekly updates if possible.

Well, for start... Let's take a look on the cave theme, shall we?

Can you guys spot the references?

Bliss

Years
  • I keep hearing what I want to hear lol, which sounds like one of the dungeon themes from LoZ Wind Waker, and then I keep hearing the chorus of a System Of A Down song..

I just can't see myself being correct on that one. But I love the sound of it!

Regardless, great work! With each piece of information gained I love this project more and more! Keep up the amazing work! :)

phazonruler

veteran
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    Hey this hack sounds really cool. The 8 bit music sound good especially the wild battle music. That being said, Do you need any help with the music? If you want, I can help you. What program do you use to make the songs?

Jukai

JET DINO, YEAH
    Years
  • There's obviously some parts of Dark Cave in that song. Other than that, I can't really guess.

though the dark cave ref brings back memories

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back