• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Nostalgic cartoon shows

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So, I always love talking about the cartoons that I used to watch during the 90s and early 2000s because those are filled with sooo much good memories and nostalgic times of just coming home from school and watching your fave TV programme or waking up early on a Saturday morning to catch the latest cartoon.

Nostalgic cartoon shows

Anyway, as said, this topic is all about your nostalgic cartoon shows. What cartoons do you remember watching from the old times, and which ones did you like watching the most, and why? What were some of the weird or crazy episodes you remember from those times? How about characters - which ones did you like, or dislike? Feel free to share any thoughts relating to this topic here!

I'll provide some of my fondest memories here too. c:

pkmin3033

I have LOTS to say on this, but for now, here's something that eclipses all else in my humble opinion:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • A LOT.

Ed, Edd n Eddy.

I liked it the most because it was so relatable at times. I really loved the reruns they use to show on Cartoon network of it too. Every episode was enjoyable as the last.
    I think the weirdest episode was probably one of the earlier ones in the series, where they introduced the Kanker sisters. I didn't quite understand how they could all look so different and be the same age (or around the same age) and be sisters (I only understood, when I was a little older). However, it was all good!

Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    To be that kid, Totally Spies and Powerpuff Girls were never off my TV when they were on. Also Code Name: Kids Next Door! I used to really get into them loool

Years
  • Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Code Name: Kids Next Door, Ed Edd n' Eddy and, Beast Wars were all frequently watched through various parts of my childhood amongst others. I watched a lot of the old cartoons on Boomerang too. Now that I mention them, I have this weird desire to go back and watch a few to see how they hold up now.

pkmin3033

OK, now that I have time to type a proper response....

- Beast Wars. I have to start with this one. Beast Wars is one of those freak accident shows that is far too good for its time - being an expensive CGI show used primarily to promote a line of toys meant an absurdly good core cast of well-developed characters with a surprisingly well-told storyline...that regularly killed off the cast because it was too expensive to keep them in the show. It's the only time I can think of where being the product of cynicism and product advertisement has been benficial to a series. As far as I'm concerned, this is THE Transformers series. I've watched the classic show, I've seen the Unicron trilogy (which in all fairness wasn't bad, especially Cybertron, where Starscream really came into his own) and I've seen some of the more recent series, and...nothing compares to it. Plus it has David Kaye as the voice of Megatron...yes.
    - The X-Men and Spiderman 90s animated shows. They're still the only TV series that get Marvel right - they adapted some of the best comic material of the time pretty damn well, looked great for their time, and...come on, everyone knows the 90s X-Men theme song.
    - Batman: The Animated Series was something I didn't get to watch as much as I would have liked, but still enjoyed a lot - the entire DC Animated Universe was of a comparable quality to the Marvel one running at the time, although it was significantly darker. This is also the only Batman adaptation to get the Joker right. It also led to Mask of the Phantasm, the greatest Batman movie of all time.
    - I say this, but I am going to give a shout-out right now to Batman: The Brave and the Bold for giving us the Music Meister. It's over 10 years old, so it counts as nostalgic...and it's the voice of Neil Patrick Harris; you can't argue with that kind of quality!
    - Freakazoid was, and is, hilarious. Like The Mask, only...much better. As much as I enjoyed the film of The Mask, the TV series sucked. Same with Ace Ventura. You just...can't replace Jim Carrey.
    - Of all the Sonic TV series - of which I have seen all of them - Sonic Underground is probably my favourite because of the songs. It was SO BAD yet at the same time getting a song basically every episode was so good. I was kinda annoyed it never really resolved itself though.
    - I grew up watching the Smurfs...and the classical piece that plays whenever they're in trouble STILL eludes me!
    - Street Sharks and Biker Mice from Mars were my original badass cartoons that I had toys of...god, the reboot of the latter, what did they do...
    - Gargoyles deserves its reputation as one of the better cartoons of its time.
    - Wacky Races and Stop the Pige--I mean, Dastardly and Muttley and their Flying Machines. These were my before school cartoons of choice, alongside Thundercats, Secret Squirrel, and occasionally the original Teenage Mutant Ninja (Hero) Turtles.
    - Tom & Jerry and, to a lesser extent, Tom & Jerry Kids. Tom and Jerry are responsible for my appreciation of classical music; I spent YEARS tracking down some of the pieces I heard in episodes, and even now when I hear a piece on the radio I can playback the episode that uses it in my head. I've probably seen every episode of the classic series. "Snowbody Loves Me" and "The Cat Concerto" are my favourite episodes.
    - Looney Tunes, up to around 2000. I've seen pretty much everything up to and including Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, which I loved...well, I might not have seen some of the REALLY old stuff, but this was a staple of my early childhood. Taz-Mania is an interesting one that I hated as a child but absolutely love as an adult because all of the adult humour that went completely over my head back then. I kinda lost interest when they went with Baby Looney Tunes - sorry, but the only baby cartoon I'm prepared to watch is Rugrats - but everything prior to that I enjoyed. Rabbit of Seville is a great episode.
    - Pinky and the Brain is still gold, it's the perfect balance of slapstick comedy and very dry adult humour...and Gilbert and Sullivan song parodies. I was never particularly fond of Animaniacs (although I DO know the Nations of the World song) but I loved Pinky and the Brain.
    - Darkwing Duck was awesome. No more need be said.
    - Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! is the closest I've seen to animated Power Rangers...one of the better Disney seasons, like Jungle Fury or Dino Thunder, at the very least. Maybe not RPM level, but still great.
    - The first two seasons of Jackie Chan Adventures were great. It was the first time I watched a show where the Chinese Zodiac were used in anything and they had a magazine with metal talisman keychains on sale at the same time it aired...I never got them ;-;
    - Mummies Alive! was a pretty cool cartoon I watched in the early 2000s about revitalised Egyptian Mummies that had transformation sequences. This benefited from a very small cast and a pretty unique premise.
    - The first two seasons of Winx Club were...surprisingly good, actually. A good villain makes a good TV show, and Lord Darkar definitely had presence in the second season. I also appreciated that every girl was given some form of character development even though it was initially very Bloom-centric, and their ENTIRE lives didn't revolve around their boyfriends. A great deal of their lives, but not all of it.
    - The Watership Down TV series was great, although not quite as traumatising as the 70s movie. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...General Woundwort from the movie is the most terrifying thing you can see when you're an innocent five year old who adores bunnies. The third season wasn't particularly great either, after they swapped out the majority of the voice cast.
    - Totally Spies was amazing up until around season 3. I was kinda disappointed that Mandy becoming a spy was only a one-off episode though, and that Britney wasn't in it very much, because she was my favourite.
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, up to that AWFUL Fast Forward season, was a great reboot. The 2002 Masters of the Universe reboot was fantastic as well and I am still very sore that there was never a second season...it was another show that was ridiculously violent considering the target audience and the time it aired on TV.
    - Arthur. Everyone's watched the earlier seasons of Arthur, right? The musical episode was so good.
    - I'm gonna give a small shout-out to Storm Hawks if only because of Ravess. Villains who insist on their theme song being played whilst they go into battle are the best kind of villains. It was a terrible show, but that one thing made me come back to it. xD
    - When I was REALLY young - like, 7 or 8; before Pokemon - one of my favourite series was Noah's Island. It was made by the creators of Animals of Farthing Wood, which I also really enjoyed, although honestly I preferred the books of that. Really strong characterisation (Sasha needs to go away though) and a nice theme tune, too. My brother still watches it on his iPad sometimes. xD
    - Can I show my age and say that I remember watching the 90s Rupert TV series? That was actually a really good show...like Moomins, only not nightmare fuel.

...I think that's everything. For now.

Years
  • How the hell did I forget to mention Batman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, TMNT and half the other things Dawn said. Wacky Races was the shit too :')

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Goodness, few of my favourites/most memorable included:
    • Dexter's Lab - And YES I was a fan of the 'Du formage' episode. Suuuch a classic; I used to love this show very much, even though sometimes it didn't make sense, aha.
    • Hey Arnold - I just adore the cast of characters and I kinda like the lessons learned from it!
    • Teen Titans - The original Teen Titans cartoon was my favourite DC cartoon for a loooong time, and I really wish it wasn't cancelled for GO, ugh.
    • Fairly Odd Parents - Loved it until they did some weird things with the show which led to its timely demise
    • Samurai Jack - the fights were amazinggggg
    • Powerpuff Girls - this show was surprisingly really gorey, aha.
    • Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z - Grew up with these series too. DBZ I remember watching with friends after school up to the Buu saga.
    • The Jetsons - Loved this show so much

There are a few more that I will list but those are at the top of my head.

OK, now that I have time to type a proper response....

Nice list! I think I watched most of those too - I used to looove the opening for Mummies Alive!

Years
    • Online now
    My favorite shows growing up were:

The Penguins of Madagascar
    Back at the Barnyard
    Danny Phantom
    Fairly OddParents
    Spongebob

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Pretty much anything on Nickelodeon as that was pretty much the only cartoon station I watched back in the day other than Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. I never watched Cartoon Network. Rocket Power was one of my favorites along with Rocko, Hey Arnold and Fairly Odd Parents.

Back