• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How difficult is to learn playing the piano?

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2019
    Does anyone here play it? Which methods were the most effective in your case and how long did it take in general?

Years
  • I used to take lessons! I remember it being about average? Like as soon as you learn where the keys are/what symbols are what key it's pretty streamlined.

baire

many such cases
    Years
  • I think it's far easier than most instruments: you don't have to worry about stuff like intonation, you can take a very natural posture, it's easy to remember which notes the keys correspond to etc. you literally just push buttons and the notes play, nothing so complicated like, say, the violin where you have to keep track of all sorts of moving parts at the same time

I would 100% recommend a teacher if you are just starting out though, and once you have the basics down maybe you could try taking your own path. there are tons of bad habits that you can easily pick up if you don't really know what you are doing, and none of it will be obvious to avoid if you aren't already a very talented musician (fingering, dynamics, hand posture, various mechanical considerations, attention to musicality, good practice habits in general...) the feedback that you get at an early developing stage is really important imo

if you are dead set on self-teaching, I would recommend that you find a well-rounded syllabus, such as the Royal Conservatory of Music's piano syllabus and take into consideration the various technical and theoretical exercises that they demand from their students. a lot of these are basic pianistic practices that are fundamental building blocks to playing the instrument well

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's one of the easiest instruments to learn and if you can play the piano you can pretty much play any similar instrument like a xylophone, organ etc. That being said, I have exactly no musical talent and never got past nursery rhymes.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I don't really play piano, but I'm learning keyboard! I mean, it's obviously different than the piano, with the latter being an acoustic instrument (I heard it also has pedals and stuff), but in the matter of learning the keys, chords, scales and whatnot, it's pretty straightforward. Definitely easier than guitar from what I can tell.

(I desperately need to practice more, though. My skills are terrible and I'm taking classes from... 5-6 months now? I know how to play Happy Birthday to You, at least :P).

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Honestly, I've always wanted to play piano! It's such a beautiful thing to play, but I never actually learned how. :c There wasn't anyone in my childhood who could give me lessons and stuff... so I missed out on the opportunity to really play. My godparents (although, they were more like grandparents to me) used to have a piano, and I used to love just being near it because I loved pianos so much. <3

Years
  • I played for a year when I was around 13. I had a teacher back then who was decent. I picked it up again aged 22 and have been playing since, so have around 6 years experience now. I followed an online course to relearn the fundamentals and some of the more complex stuff to pretty good effect. Within a year I was able to start branching out and learning to play the stuff I wanted to play. A few years after I had a decent repertoire of songs under my belt. Having said that I made a lot of mistakes along the way which probably could have been avoided had I invested in a teacher to guide me again. Also I was practicing almost every day for anywhere between 30 mins to 2 hours or so. I would think formally enlisting in a teacher to help would be the most effective way to learn to play. It is simply a hobby for me so bare that in mind also when thinking of timescales. At any rate, I have a thread on here which showcases some of the stuff I learnt over the years, could be worth a quick look.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=371328

The link below may also be an interesting read. From time to time I reread it as a reminder.

https://www.davidnevue.com/pianomyths.htm

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I feel like it's not too hard, but I had a different experience as I was forced into learning the piano by my parents when I was younger. I didn't enjoy it at the time so I hardly practiced and thus never really became good at playing the piano. However I definitely feel like with practice and a desire to learn the piano, people can pick up the piano relatively quickly. :D

Back