Burning Candle

Age 22
She/Her
Under a bucket (still)
Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
4,308 posts
6.4 Years
Haven't finished one of these out of boredom, best time to start now! Time to prove the superiority of Fire typesbecause I'm a masochist apparently!

Forum User Name: DyingWillFlareon
Game(s): Leafgreen/Crystal/Ruby/Platinum/Black/Y/Moon(/Shield?) (I might have to change some of the last few depending on what I have available at that point)
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Only choosing Leaf Green because of Metal Claw hoo boy lol
POKECOMMUNITY'S DREAM WORLDDYINGWILLFLAREON

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia

Bay

She/They
Dani California
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
6,098 posts
14.9 Years
Black 2 Fire Monotype Update 4

Meant to post this last night but forgot oops. Anyhow, here's update 4!

Spoiler:
-Last update I made it to Undella Town. There I have another battle with Hugh and oh geez his Samurott and Aqua Jet. Claudius's Hammer Arm is the only move to do a significant damage to him. But yeah, eventually defeat him.
-So next I had to go through Route 13 and I totally forgot you can meet Cobalion early there. I have Otho go against it and haha two of Cobalion's attacks, Sarced Sword and one other, aren't affected against Otho due to her being part-ghost. Cobalion got burned due to Otho's Flame Body and at first I was like yesss but then I forgot being burned chips away your health, leading to Cobalion to faint. I attempted like 3 more tries to catch it, but Otho's Flame Body keeps activating and decided to not catch it since I probably have a couple of those legendaries.
-Made it to Lacunosa Town and met with Hugh there. After we went against Team Plasma, I thought the Fire Stone is in the town but no it's at Lentimas Town and I forgot to grab it on my first visit there. Had to use a Tranquil that I had learned Fly to go back to Lentimas Town and grab it.
-I next visit Village Bridge and ahhhh it's actually one of my favorite locations in the gen 5 games. I don't know, I just like the aesthetic of it and the music so calming. I battled some trainers and after Tiberius reached lv 45 and learned Flare Blitz I used the Fire Stone to evolve him into Arcanine!
-Next up is Route 11 and that's where I meet Virizion. Like with Cobalion I battled Virizion once and that's it. I realized that both Cobalion and Virizion are weak to Fire sooooo if I want to catch them post-game that'll make things tricky haha.
-After I reached Opeluid City, I grinded for a bit and then challenge Drayden's gym. Oh my gosh so one of the trainers in the gym had a Druddegion with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin. Tiberius has a tiny bit of health left, so when Druddegions health was also low I was like use Outrage and be done with it. Cue both Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin causing Tiberius to faint oops. When I get to battle Drayden I had Tiberius use Outrage on Drayden's first two Pokemon before he got confused. I switched out Tiberius for Claudius on Drayden's Haxrous. Haxtrous's Dragon Tail managed to KO Claudius, but then I brought Tiberius back and his Outrage finished the job.
-Yeah, so I kinda forgot how long this particular Team Plasma segment was, you know the one where they blasted half of Unova into ice. After dealing with Team Plasma and one of the Shadow Triad it's time to go to Humilau City.
-Did some grinding because I don't want to experience Clay 2.0 with Marlon. I went to rematch the athletes at Nimbasa City and after one of the battles Lmapert learned Shadow Ball and that's when I used the Dusk Stone to evolve her into Chandelure!
-I went and challenge Marlon's gym and he actually wasn't as hard as I thought. His Carracosta had Scald and while Tiberius fainted, I had Claudius take out Carracosta and Wailmer. I then had Otho take down his Jellicent. Final badge get!
-Okay so now it's time for the big final Team Plasma showdown. I had to switch Caligula for Marill who can use Surf and go to Seaside Cave where Team Plasma's ship was. I thought I would struggle a bit due to having 5 strong Pokemon but it wasn't actually bad. Augustus was able to take care the majority of the grunts's Pokemon due to them weak either by fighting.
-After Team Plasma showdown part 1 is done, it's time to go to Giant Chasm and that's where I'll stop. Next update should be Ghetsis and maybe Victory Road and the Elite 4!

Augustus, Emboar, Lv 55, Careful nature
Tiberius, Arcanine, Lv 54, Naive nature
Caligula, Flareon, Lv 53, Timid nature
Claudius, Darumanitan, Lv 55, Hasty nature
Nero, Volcarona, Lv 55, Naive nature
Otho, Chandelure, Lv 53, Quiet nature
Miles Edgeworth
Foul Play [On Hiatus]

Bay

She/They
Dani California
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
6,098 posts
14.9 Years
Black 2 Fire Monotype Update 5
Spoiler:
-So last update I made it to Giant Chasm. I had to go inside their ship once more and this time find hints to their password. There was one doctor inside the ship and man he's a godsend so that I can heal my Pokemon when needed.
-After defeating the grunts and getting the password I went against Colress. He's pretty easy thanks to the majority of his Pokemon weak to fire. Sturdy is an annoying ability though lol. Right after I went against the Shadow Triad.
-Next up is to meet up with Ghetsis and Kyruem. Heyyy N nice to see you back. So, Black Kyruem was actually very easy to defeat thanks to Claudius having Hammer Arm. After defeating Kyruem Ghetsis challenged me to a battle. His battle I had to switch around my Pokemon on ocassion but otherwise not too bad. And there, Team Plasma mostly gone (until postgame)
-Explored Route 23 for a while. Oh geez so that route has several obstocles and puzzles which needed Surf, Strength, and Cut. I had to put away a couple Pokemon and bring out Marill and Sweddle that has those HMs, so it took a bit until I got that boulder puzzle done.
-Before attempting Victory Road I researched a bit on what HMs I needed and yup it's Surf, Strenght, Cut, Surf, and Waterfall. I didn't want to store 2 Pokemon, so I checked which Pokemon can learn Cut, Surf, and Waterfall. There is one, Basculin and what do you know I can get one right at Route 23. And so I did that.
-One other thing I researched was which TMs I can teach Nero because yeah Gust isn't going to cut it. Oh, he can learned Psychic which would be perfect for Marshal. It's at Route 13 and it needed Surf. I did a quick detour and grabbed the TM.
-I stored Claigula and switched off for Basculin so that I can get through Victory Road. The majority of the trainers weren't hard as most of my Pokemon have some moves that can be supereffective towards certain types of Pokemon. There were a few hurdles, like that one double battle with a couple Veteran trainers and one of them has a Braivary that can use Rock Slide. Yup, very annoying haha.
-Before making to the Pokemon League, Hugh wants to battle one last time. He wasn't so tough, mainly his Samurott took a few turns. Replaying the game yeah I'm kinda mixed on Hugh as a rival.
-I think I'll stop this update here and have the Elite 4 be the next one. This is gonna be fun.

Augustus, Emboar, Lv 60, Careful nature
Tiberius, Arcanine, Lv 60, Naive nature
Caligula, Flareon, Lv 60, Timid nature
Claudius, Darumanitan, Lv 60, Hasty nature
Nero, Volcarona, Lv 60, Naive nature
Otho, Chandelure, Lv 60, Quiet nature
Miles Edgeworth
Foul Play [On Hiatus]

Bay

She/They
Dani California
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
6,098 posts
14.9 Years
Black 2 Fire Monotype Update 6 - ELITE FOUR

Alright, so Elite Four time

Spoiler:
-The first Elite 4 I went against was Shauntal. Her Cohagrius and Driftblim were easy when I had Tiberius use Crunch, but then Golruk came with Earthquake. I had Agustus go against Shauntal's Chandelure and ack it has Psyhic. I then let Caligula take care of Chadelure.
-Next I went against Grimsley. So Grimsley's Krookodile has Earthquake too which yeah is bad, though Augustus took care of it. There's then his Bisharp which has Aerial Ace and is super effective against Augustus ahhhh. Luckily though not enough to faint it and I eventually defeated him.
-I had Otho go against Caitlin's Pokemon and lol she was the most smooth sailing as Otho's Shadow Ball pretty much KOed her team.
-For Marshal I first used Volcarona, who has Psyhic. It was going smoothly at first until his Sawk used Rock Slide. I think I had Tiberius finish off his ohter Pokmeon in the end

-Champion Iris battle time! Yeah so the biggest mistake I did was having Augustus used Heat Crash on her Aggron because I forgot Aggron is a very big guy and he's part steel/rock. If I had used Arm Thrust first I probably would've gotten rid of him already but nope.

The biggest hurdle though was her Haxorus. So I first had Arcanine use Outrage and when Haxorus was so close to fainting Iris used a Full Resore. Outrage again and once more Haxorus didn't faint and Arcanine got confused. Cue Haxorus using Earthquake. I first tried Caligula and then Otho to see if I can outspped Haxorus but lol nope. I revived Arcanine and used another Outrage to finish finish him off. When Iris had sent out her final Pokemon Archeops I was down with only Nero and Tiberius. I choose Nero and at first I was nervous because Archeops used Rock Slide and thought Nero wouldn't survive. Nero did survive and clutched the win with Psychic.

So yeah, I completed the main story portion of my fire monotype Black 2 run! I'm thinking of doing the post-game and probably attempt the Elite 4 again but not for a little while. I think I might do some updates on that, so I guess look forward to that!

Augustus, Emboar, Lv 62, Careful nature
Tiberius, Arcanine, Lv 61, Naive nature
Caligula, Flareon, Lv 60, Timid nature
Claudius, Darumanitan, Lv 60, Hasty nature
Nero, Volcarona, Lv 61, Naive nature
Otho, Chandelure, Lv 61, Quiet nature
Miles Edgeworth
Foul Play [On Hiatus]

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster

Female
UK
Seen February 25th, 2021
Posted February 25th, 2021
64 posts
2.1 Years
Forum User Name: FactoriesFarAway
Game(s): Red
Pokémon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate: Single

So I did loads of monotype challenges a while ago and I figured they were too easy (with the exception of gen 4 Bug, even WITH items that was a nightmare), so I'm going to shake it up a bit this time, and I'm going to do a Monolocke, with additional rules being banning X items as I think they're way too broken esp in gen 1 with badge boost glitch, and shift mode only.

So water monotype + standard nuzlocke rules with the exception that, if there's at least one water Pokemon on a route, I can catch the first one I see. If not, I skip the route entirely.

If i find this fun i may change this into an ultimate.
Completed Challenges: Ultimate Bug Monotype (LeafGreen, HeartGold, Ruby, Platinum, Black, Y, Sun), Fighting Monotypes (FireRed, OmegaRuby)
Ongoing Challenges: Fighting Monotype Ultimate (working on White), Yellow Anime-Style Challenge, Red Flying Monotype

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle

Age 22
She/Her
Under a bucket (still)
Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
4,308 posts
6.4 Years
Fire Monotype:
Spoiler:
I had planned to write down how each Gym and rival battle had gone, then after getting to Lavender Town I ended up getting busy and entirely forgetting about this ._.;;

So uh from what I remember:
I started off with Bumbo the Charmander absolutely demolishing my rival's Squirtle, then going on to grind til we got Ember, then using that to grind in the Forest for Metal Claw. My rival and Brock took little time but thankfully with combos of Ember, Scratch, and Metal Claw we got past both of them.

Going into Mt Moon Bumbo evolves into Charmeleon, and gets us through fairly easily with again Ember, Metal Claw, and running. Now that we technically don't have to grind for levels on wild POKEMON, we just go up to Nugget Bridge and beat all the trainers up to Bill's house. Misty and my rival were again a little challenging but nothing our peak level lizard couldn't handle.

Going on to Vermilion, everything gets much easier as we still only have Bumbo to worry about, and he easily wipes the floor with everyone in his path. Our rival on the SS Anne put up a little fight, but was demolished anyway. And Lt Surge was a joke, especially with Steel types. We also caught a Diglett named C for Cut, he's never used tho and is let to die whenever hes drug out to battle.

Jumbo evolves into a Charizard somewhere in that area, and we have nothing to worry about as we "breeze" through Rock Tunnel (actually had to look up a walkthrough dear goodness that took forever) spamming Flamethrower, Metal Claw, and run. Finally we got out, and rested for a while in Lavender Town.

Catching up, we finally get another Fire partner, Fluffy the Vulpix. Looking at the move pool for Vulpix and Nintales I decide to keep him from evolving for now, and get back to grinding once more. After beating all the trainers in the area he can sort of hold his own now so we continue on to Cerulean, my favorite city in the game.

Once there we immediately get the Eevee, who was named Skip and, upon reading it and Flareon's move pool we evolve him immediately. I was a little worried about him as we go into Team Rocket's base, but even with only Quick Attack he posed a serious threat to 95% of the grunts we fought there. I gave him the Blackglasses because Flareon are cool. B) Also because he was about to learn Bite. Fluffy finally learns Flamethrower and evolves down there, so with 3 fully grown Fire types we run on to face Giovanni. For the most part, while I try to use the other two, Bumbo has to take him out.

We go back to get some more healing items, some stuff we forgot along the way like Tea and the Bike, and beat the Fighting Dojo which was the first time we got close to losing in a long time. Letting Jumbo finish off the trainees and the other two take down the leader, we ignore the pokeballs and leave, getting ready to go from Lavender Town to Fuchsia.

Current Team:
Spoiler:
Bumbo the Charizard Lv 43
Fluffy the Ninetales Lv 31 Rawst Berry*
Skip the Flareon Lv 31 Blackglasses
C the Diglett (Cut HM helper)

*He was holding the berry when I caught him and havent gotten a good alternative yet so oh well
POKECOMMUNITY'S DREAM WORLDDYINGWILLFLAREON

*For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and sober. -1Thessalonians 5:5-6
#TeamTrivia
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
26 posts
1.7 Years
RL Notes: After having misplaced my 3DS, then got a new job for my hobby (I moonlight as a composer/arranger/orchestrator, so got involved in a local group on that front that kept me from doing more for a while), and then finding my 3DS, I'm back to continue my Gen 4 run. Had to remember where I was...and then admit I didn't remember Gen 4's progression, so I'm using a walkthrough to point me from area to area.

Onto the update. Running around in circles up and down Cycling Road trying to remember where to go was...ahem..."bugging" me out. What I ended up doing was looking up that I was supposed to be going down to the southern part of Mt. Coronet and heading through to Hearthome City. I quickly did the stuff about the contests, because I can't move on otherwise.

The battle against Barry was...kinda weird.
- First out is Starly, and I had Cellular/Dustox to just spam Poison Sting. I was hoping to Poison it before I was Wing Attack'd to death. Interestingly, I managed to use Moonlight to stay alive through it dying from Poison. First try Poison on the first hit, which I about fell over laughing at. I know, though, if I don't win this time, it won't happen next.
- Second was Monferno...who did nothing the first few turns but Fury Swipes, Leer, and Mach Punch. Was expecting AI to go "Oh crap, let's burn this bug". I did eventually let Cellular/Dustox faint due to a single use of Flame Wheel...on the same turn (turn 6 against Monferno) using Poison Sting (and it getting poisoned).
- At this point, I swapped over to T-Mobile/Vespiquen. Power Gem time. That finishes off the Monferno.
- Out comes Buizel. I just use a couple Gusts to knock it out. In between the two Gusts, I got a Pursuit for my trouble. No biggie.
- Roselia ends the round, and I Gust my way to victory.

Like I said...the opening felt weird. I'm used to random AI, and I'm used to semi-smart AI.

Moving on to Route 209, and I attempt to avoid a spinner only for the trainer to notice me anyways. Yay. I wanted to get to the next town first, so I avoided everything except the Double Battle. It was sort of rough. I did fight a few things to figure out my Hidden Power on Sprint/Beautifly and Verizon/Wormadam. Verizon's HP was easy. Sprint’s took a bit to figure out.

Cricket (Kricketune)
L 23 / 76 HP / 48 Atk / 31 Def / 33 SAtk / 35 SDef / 39 Spd
Fury Cutter / Bide / Sing / Leech Life

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
L 23 / 69 HP / 48 Atk / 51 Def / 44 SAtk / 57 SDef / 35 Spd
Gust / Sweet Scent / Power Gem

Sprint (Beautifly)
L 23 / 67 HP / 44 Atk / 38 Def / 45 SAtk / 32 SDef / 39 Spd
Harden / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun

Cellular (Dustox)
L 23 / 61 HP / 28 Atk / 44 Def / 31 SAtk / 46 SDef / 42 Spd
Tackle / Moonlight / Poison Sting / Protect

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
L 24 / HP 70 / 38 Atk / 55 Def / 36 SAtk / 53 SDef / 28 Spd
Protect / Tackle / Hidden Power (Ice) / Confusion
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
26 posts
1.7 Years
Don't want to double-post, but made some progress over the last two days.

Veilstone City:
Got here late Monday. Route 215 was kinda rough to get through. Spent much of the night and a few hours yesterday grinding coins at the Game Corner to get U-Turn, and gave it to my Vespiquen, but only after finishing the gym (totally didn't know it was there). It was going to make the best use of it.

I totally spaced on the gym being Fighting-type...my Bugs are squishy so they kept knocking my mons out. In the end, however, I'm happy Wormadam has Confusion and Vespiquen has Gust. Between the tw of them, that's how I got through the gym. Trainer by Trainer, one by one, healing as needed. It wasn't too bad, but after that, I spent some time going through and grinding all of my team up to 28 or 29. Also took the opportunity to earn some money and buy more Super Potions but also some vitamins to boost the main attacking stat of each of my team. I'm going to be continuing that. The gym was way too rough for my taste - I can tell that I totally did not restart for good stats...nor did I correctly EV train like I planned to.

Pastoria City:
The path south from Veilstone on the way to Pastroia was kinda interesting. Some battles were easy, and some were slogs. I skipped a number of them, figuring that since Crusher Wake was only a lowly Water type, I should be fine at level 30. Nope. He absolutely was wiping the floor with me (which was a shock to my system since all the trainers were relatively easy to knock to the side).

Gyarados took some doing to knock out. I got it down to about 20/25% HP with my Vespiquen using Power Gem over and over, then Vespiquen was out for the count. After that, my Beautifly and Dustox went down before Gyarados did. I was using HP/Dragon and Tackle, trying to hold on for using Kricketune and Wormadam against Quagsire and Floatzel. Floatzel was next, and I...hate...Brine. It took out my Wormadam, because I forgot it doubles its Base Power when my health is low. Kricketune took it out with X-Scissor. And then I just spammed X-Scissor against Quagsire, hoping to knock it out. Thankfully, I did.

At this point, I need to focus on trying to start a gym at the level of the highest Pokemon in the gym. Starting anywhere below that is a problem when I get to the gym leader. For me, that means I need to focus the rest of my training on EVs. Sure, I'm behind a little, but I need to do more in-depth study and not just pick up the game and go "let's do this!" I need to get some of those stat-reducing Berries.

For now, here's where I'm at:

Cricket (Kricketune)
L 31 / 99 HP / 64 Atk / 41 Def / 44 SAtk / 45 SDef / 52 Spd
Fury Cutter / Bide / Sing / X-Scissor

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
L 31 / 90 HP / 65 Atk / 68 Def / 58 SAtk / 76 SDef / 46 Spd
U-turn / Slash / Power Gem / Heal Order

Sprint (Beautifly)
L 30 / 85 HP / 56 Atk / 49 Def / 59 SAtk / 40 SDef / 51 Spd
Mega Drain / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun

Cellular (Dustox)
L 30 / 77 HP / 35 Atk / 56 Def / 46 SAtk / 59 SDef / 55 Spd
Tackle / Moonlight / Psybeam / Protect

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
L 31 / HP 88 / 49 Atk / 70 Def / 48 SAtk / 67 SDef / 36 Spd
Metal Sound / Mirror Shot / Hidden Power (Ice) / Confusion

Captain Gizmo

Legit Boss

Age 27
Male
Canada
Seen 4 Weeks Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
4,818 posts
8.6 Years
Well I'm done. Surpringsly, Flareon was my best member of the team ._.

My team at the end

Timmy, the Charizard♂
Level 65
Blaze
Fly, Smokescreen, Flamethrower and Metal Claw

Fluffy, the Flareon♂
Level 67
Flash Fire
Dig, Bite, Flamethrower and Return
♥Plusle bro of Synerjee♥ | ♥Pink Mommy♥
|3DS FC|
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
26 posts
1.7 Years
Over the past two weeks, I did some research on my movesets and decided, based on base stats and move categories, that Kricketune and Vespiquen are solely Attack-based, while Dustox, Beautifly, and Wormadam are Special Attack-based. I didn't keep as good of track of my effort values. But I didn't want too close of calls again like I had with the last two gyms (especially the Water one, where I wasn't necessarily strong or weak to). I decided to go up a bunch of levels...

First, I when back to Route 214, where there are two very good trainers. One is all about Roselia (good for SpA) and one is all about Goldeen (good for Atk). Time to grind. Got Wormadam to 46...then got Beautifly to 44...then Dustox to 43....you can see I'm slowing down with bothering to level...I could maybe handle an hour or two a day...

Then I did the same on the other trainer to get Kricketune and Vespiquen to reach level 40.

Spent a bit of time at the game corner to get some coints as well.

At this point, I look like this:
Cricket (Kricketune)
L 40 / 126 HP / 94 Atk / 52 Def / 56 SAtk / 57 SDef / 66 Spd
Fury Cutter / Bide / Bug Buzz / X-Scissor
(Just one simple change. Yes, Bug Buzz is a special move, but it still has STAB.)

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
L 40 / 114 HP / 96 Atk / 87 Def / 74 SAtk / 97 SDef / 58 Spd
Attack Order / Slash / Power Gem / Heal Order
(No real change - Attack Order is, in my opinion, better for a monotype run than U-Turn.)

Sprint (Beautifly)
L 44 / 129 HP / 83 Atk / 69 Def / 100 SAtk / 57 SDef / 73 Spd
Giga Drain / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun
(Upgraded Mega Drain to Giga Drain, Stun Spore to Psychic, and Morning Sun to Bug Buzz. Not too sure about HP Dragon, though I will keep it around for now.)

Cellular (Dustox)
L 43 / 115 HP / 49 Atk / 79 Def / 78 SAtk / 83 SDef / 76 Spd
Bug Buzz / Silver Wind / Psybeam / Light Screen
(I thought Light Screen would be better than Protect.)

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
L 46 / HP 126 / 70 Atk / 102 Def / 89 SAtk / 97 SDef / 52 Spd
Psybeam / Mirror Shot / Hidden Power (Ice) / Psychic
(Update on some moves. My uncertainty on Beautifly's HP is making me uncertain here...)

Burned out for now. I never realized how much just straight grinding can drain you.