• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
Years
    • she/her
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    Forum User Name: FactoriesFarAway
    Game(s): Red
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Single/Ultimate: Single

So I did loads of monotype challenges a while ago and I figured they were too easy (with the exception of gen 4 Bug, even WITH items that was a nightmare), so I'm going to shake it up a bit this time, and I'm going to do a Monolocke, with additional rules being banning X items as I think they're way too broken esp in gen 1 with badge boost glitch, and shift mode only.

So water monotype + standard nuzlocke rules with the exception that, if there's at least one water Pokemon on a route, I can catch the first one I see. If not, I skip the route entirely.

If i find this fun i may change this into an ultimate.

Last edited:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Fire Monotype:
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    RL Notes: After having misplaced my 3DS, then got a new job for my hobby (I moonlight as a composer/arranger/orchestrator, so got involved in a local group on that front that kept me from doing more for a while), and then finding my 3DS, I'm back to continue my Gen 4 run. Had to remember where I was...and then admit I didn't remember Gen 4's progression, so I'm using a walkthrough to point me from area to area.

Onto the update. Running around in circles up and down Cycling Road trying to remember where to go was...ahem..."bugging" me out. What I ended up doing was looking up that I was supposed to be going down to the southern part of Mt. Coronet and heading through to Hearthome City. I quickly did the stuff about the contests, because I can't move on otherwise.

The battle against Barry was...kinda weird.
    - First out is Starly, and I had Cellular/Dustox to just spam Poison Sting. I was hoping to Poison it before I was Wing Attack'd to death. Interestingly, I managed to use Moonlight to stay alive through it dying from Poison. First try Poison on the first hit, which I about fell over laughing at. I know, though, if I don't win this time, it won't happen next.
    - Second was Monferno...who did nothing the first few turns but Fury Swipes, Leer, and Mach Punch. Was expecting AI to go "Oh crap, let's burn this bug". I did eventually let Cellular/Dustox faint due to a single use of Flame Wheel...on the same turn (turn 6 against Monferno) using Poison Sting (and it getting poisoned).
    - At this point, I swapped over to T-Mobile/Vespiquen. Power Gem time. That finishes off the Monferno.
    - Out comes Buizel. I just use a couple Gusts to knock it out. In between the two Gusts, I got a Pursuit for my trouble. No biggie.
    - Roselia ends the round, and I Gust my way to victory.

Like I said...the opening felt weird. I'm used to random AI, and I'm used to semi-smart AI.

Moving on to Route 209, and I attempt to avoid a spinner only for the trainer to notice me anyways. Yay. I wanted to get to the next town first, so I avoided everything except the Double Battle. It was sort of rough. I did fight a few things to figure out my Hidden Power on Sprint/Beautifly and Verizon/Wormadam. Verizon's HP was easy. Sprint's took a bit to figure out.

Cricket (Kricketune)
    L 23 / 76 HP / 48 Atk / 31 Def / 33 SAtk / 35 SDef / 39 Spd
    Fury Cutter / Bide / Sing / Leech Life

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
    L 23 / 69 HP / 48 Atk / 51 Def / 44 SAtk / 57 SDef / 35 Spd
    Gust / Sweet Scent / Power Gem

Sprint (Beautifly)
    L 23 / 67 HP / 44 Atk / 38 Def / 45 SAtk / 32 SDef / 39 Spd
    Harden / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun

Cellular (Dustox)
    L 23 / 61 HP / 28 Atk / 44 Def / 31 SAtk / 46 SDef / 42 Spd
    Tackle / Moonlight / Poison Sting / Protect

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
    L 24 / HP 70 / 38 Atk / 55 Def / 36 SAtk / 53 SDef / 28 Spd
    Protect / Tackle / Hidden Power (Ice) / Confusion

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Don't want to double-post, but made some progress over the last two days.

Veilstone City:
    Got here late Monday. Route 215 was kinda rough to get through. Spent much of the night and a few hours yesterday grinding coins at the Game Corner to get U-Turn, and gave it to my Vespiquen, but only after finishing the gym (totally didn't know it was there). It was going to make the best use of it.

I totally spaced on the gym being Fighting-type...my Bugs are squishy so they kept knocking my mons out. In the end, however, I'm happy Wormadam has Confusion and Vespiquen has Gust. Between the tw of them, that's how I got through the gym. Trainer by Trainer, one by one, healing as needed. It wasn't too bad, but after that, I spent some time going through and grinding all of my team up to 28 or 29. Also took the opportunity to earn some money and buy more Super Potions but also some vitamins to boost the main attacking stat of each of my team. I'm going to be continuing that. The gym was way too rough for my taste - I can tell that I totally did not restart for good stats...nor did I correctly EV train like I planned to.

Pastoria City:
    The path south from Veilstone on the way to Pastroia was kinda interesting. Some battles were easy, and some were slogs. I skipped a number of them, figuring that since Crusher Wake was only a lowly Water type, I should be fine at level 30. Nope. He absolutely was wiping the floor with me (which was a shock to my system since all the trainers were relatively easy to knock to the side).

Gyarados took some doing to knock out. I got it down to about 20/25% HP with my Vespiquen using Power Gem over and over, then Vespiquen was out for the count. After that, my Beautifly and Dustox went down before Gyarados did. I was using HP/Dragon and Tackle, trying to hold on for using Kricketune and Wormadam against Quagsire and Floatzel. Floatzel was next, and I...hate...Brine. It took out my Wormadam, because I forgot it doubles its Base Power when my health is low. Kricketune took it out with X-Scissor. And then I just spammed X-Scissor against Quagsire, hoping to knock it out. Thankfully, I did.

At this point, I need to focus on trying to start a gym at the level of the highest Pokemon in the gym. Starting anywhere below that is a problem when I get to the gym leader. For me, that means I need to focus the rest of my training on EVs. Sure, I'm behind a little, but I need to do more in-depth study and not just pick up the game and go "let's do this!" I need to get some of those stat-reducing Berries.

For now, here's where I'm at:

Cricket (Kricketune)
    L 31 / 99 HP / 64 Atk / 41 Def / 44 SAtk / 45 SDef / 52 Spd
    Fury Cutter / Bide / Sing / X-Scissor

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
    L 31 / 90 HP / 65 Atk / 68 Def / 58 SAtk / 76 SDef / 46 Spd
    U-turn / Slash / Power Gem / Heal Order

Sprint (Beautifly)
    L 30 / 85 HP / 56 Atk / 49 Def / 59 SAtk / 40 SDef / 51 Spd
    Mega Drain / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun

Cellular (Dustox)
    L 30 / 77 HP / 35 Atk / 56 Def / 46 SAtk / 59 SDef / 55 Spd
    Tackle / Moonlight / Psybeam / Protect

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
    L 31 / HP 88 / 49 Atk / 70 Def / 48 SAtk / 67 SDef / 36 Spd
    Metal Sound / Mirror Shot / Hidden Power (Ice) / Confusion

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Well I'm done. Surpringsly, Flareon was my best member of the team ._.

My team at the end

Spr_3f_006.png

Timmy, the Charizard♂
    Level 65
    Blaze
    Fly, Smokescreen, Flamethrower and Metal Claw

Spr_3f_136.png

Fluffy, the Flareon♂
    Level 67
    Flash Fire
    Dig, Bite, Flamethrower and Return

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Over the past two weeks, I did some research on my movesets and decided, based on base stats and move categories, that Kricketune and Vespiquen are solely Attack-based, while Dustox, Beautifly, and Wormadam are Special Attack-based. I didn't keep as good of track of my effort values. But I didn't want too close of calls again like I had with the last two gyms (especially the Water one, where I wasn't necessarily strong or weak to). I decided to go up a bunch of levels...

First, I when back to Route 214, where there are two very good trainers. One is all about Roselia (good for SpA) and one is all about Goldeen (good for Atk). Time to grind. Got Wormadam to 46...then got Beautifly to 44...then Dustox to 43....you can see I'm slowing down with bothering to level...I could maybe handle an hour or two a day...

Then I did the same on the other trainer to get Kricketune and Vespiquen to reach level 40.

Spent a bit of time at the game corner to get some coints as well.

At this point, I look like this:
    Cricket (Kricketune)
    L 40 / 126 HP / 94 Atk / 52 Def / 56 SAtk / 57 SDef / 66 Spd
    Fury Cutter / Bide / Bug Buzz / X-Scissor
    (Just one simple change. Yes, Bug Buzz is a special move, but it still has STAB.)

T-Mobile (Vespiquen)
    L 40 / 114 HP / 96 Atk / 87 Def / 74 SAtk / 97 SDef / 58 Spd
    Attack Order / Slash / Power Gem / Heal Order
    (No real change - Attack Order is, in my opinion, better for a monotype run than U-Turn.)

Sprint (Beautifly)
    L 44 / 129 HP / 83 Atk / 69 Def / 100 SAtk / 57 SDef / 73 Spd
    Giga Drain / Hidden Power (Dragon) / Stun Spore / Morning Sun
    (Upgraded Mega Drain to Giga Drain, Stun Spore to Psychic, and Morning Sun to Bug Buzz. Not too sure about HP Dragon, though I will keep it around for now.)

Cellular (Dustox)
    L 43 / 115 HP / 49 Atk / 79 Def / 78 SAtk / 83 SDef / 76 Spd
    Bug Buzz / Silver Wind / Psybeam / Light Screen
    (I thought Light Screen would be better than Protect.)

Verizon (Wormadam/Steel)
    L 46 / HP 126 / 70 Atk / 102 Def / 89 SAtk / 97 SDef / 52 Spd
    Psybeam / Mirror Shot / Hidden Power (Ice) / Psychic
    (Update on some moves. My uncertainty on Beautifly's HP is making me uncertain here...)

Burned out for now. I never realized how much just straight grinding can drain you.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Forum User Name: Pumpkaboofan4life
    Game(s):Red, Crystal, Alpha Sapphire, Pearl, Black, Black 2, X, Moon, Shield
    Pokémon Type: Water!
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate!

Senoue

I'm back to rise!
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Senoue
    Game(s): White
    Pokémon Type: Psychic
    Single/Ultimate: Single

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Good morning everybody.

Dropping by to say that I'll be helping with the updating the thread for the foreseeable future, and I think I got the OP updated all to deal with posts up to #389.

If I accidentally missed you or something like that, either post here or send me a message!

You might have also noticed that the OP looks a bit different. I condensed a bit of the text, added a few rulings that were in the spirit of the older rules, cleaned up house basically. Still, any runs you've already started (or committed to making, in the case of Ultimates) can still use the older rules if you feel like it.

Here are the rule changes and their justifications:
    Spoiler:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Ultimate Electric Monotype
    Fire Red | Soul Silver | Omega Ruby | Platinum | Black 2 | X | Ultra Sun​

Update #1 - Final
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Johto's coming up next. I still need to figure out what team I'll use but hey, I'm bound to have more choices earlier on, at least.

I guess I'll probably be able to try and do bigger teams at least.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Did I say Johto? Oops, we're in Kalos.

Update #1 - Viola, Grant
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Korrina and Ramos should be easy enough given FSK, I think. The pace should also pick up from here on out which is nice.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • User: Figment
    Type: Water
    Game(s): Let's Go Pikachu, SoulSilver, Omega Ruby, Platinum (Brilliant Diamond if it comes out and I get it before I finish), White 2, Y, Ultra Moon, Sword (Optional)
    Single / Ultimate: Ultimate

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

I just noticed that when I did the last update, I forgot to remove the Leftovers from the team template I was using lol.
    I hadn't any Leftovers then, nor do I have now. Although I think I probably could muster some in Lumiose, somewhere.

Update #2 - Korrina, Ramos, Clemont, Valerie, Olympia
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Up next we finish up the plot, the league challenge and the game.

Update #3 - Plot, Wulfric, Elite 4 & Champion
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Up next, Hoenn. I wanna get rid of the 3DS games ASAP since they take up a lot more time than the other games.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

In what's becoming a tradition, I get the game wrong. Again. Oops?

Update #1 - Final
    Spoiler:

Team
    Spoiler:

Next time, it will be Hoenn. Or maybe Sinnoh, I guess. Depends on my mood to be honest, but I'm pretty sure it won't be Alola.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Can you put me down as a bug champion for shield? It was a while back that I did it.

Years
  • Ultimate Poison Monotype
    I'm back again after a long absence.
    Just got done with pokemon Y so now it's onto probably the hardest game of the run in emerald.
    Why I think emerald will be the hardest is I'm gonna be stuck with only a dustox for the first gym

As for the team that finished kalos it was mega Venusaur, Drapion, Tentacruel, Crobat, Nidoking and Swalot
    I started out using a beedrill before swapping it out for the endgame. And it was on the team for quite a while.
    hope its okay changing up the team mid run

Drapion and Crobat are gonna be mainstays on every team I can get them. I intend to save SoulSilver for last as that is not only my favorite pokemon game, but my favorite game overall.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Got a question about gen V. Is it possible to get or trade in a poison type before the first gym. Hacking is out of the question since I'm not using an emulator. If i cant get a poison type without hacking can someone tell me what types are available for Ultimate runs without hacking in pokemon?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Got a question about gen V. Is it possible to get or trade in a poison type before the first gym. Hacking is out of the question since I'm not using an emulator. If i cant get a poison type without hacking can someone tell me what types are available for Ultimate runs without hacking in pokemon?

For Black and White, I'm pretty sure you don't get any poison types before the first gym battle.

Not sure for Black 2 and White 2 out of the top of my head. That said, it's generally up to the person to do the research themselves. I'd recommend pulling up a website like Bulbapedia or Serebii who have the encounter tables for each route and check. Walkthroughs are even more convenient for this type of checking since they'll list every route in the order you'll go through.

As a rule, Grass, Fire and Water are always possible because of the starters, and Normal is always possible because of the derps.

Flying isn't possible in BW, but is possible in every other game.

Fairy is possible in the three mandatory games that it's in (XY, ORAS, SM/USUM) as well. Not sure about Sword and Shield though, but it probably is given the Wild Area.

Years
  • User:Lugiafan123
    Type: Bug
    Game(s):Firered,SoulSilver,Emerald,Diamond,White 2,Y,Ultra moon
    Single / Ultimate: ultimate

Putting my poison run on hold after the updated rules made my choice of type no longer viable for me. This run in particular has an additinal stipulation and that is that hacking in pokemon is not allowed.
    Hence why I've picked the bug type for the ultimate run. Out of all the types available with the no hacking stipulation Bug seemed the most fun. Though it will be pretty difficult. Especially for Sinnoh and kanto.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back