• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
Ok I just started today and goes pretty well.

Adventure:
I started out catching poochyena since its the early dark-type pokemon that is catchable. As of course TTP inspired me to name him "Doge". Since is a LVL 3, I farm nonstop near the pokemon center in oldale town until it hit LVL 7. And I beat all trainers on route 101-103. Andddd... The pain
in the butt seedot is really pain in the butt. Spend an hour to find him and FINALLY! Caught it and named it "See That" *he he*.

And I'm traveling through petalburg woods poocheyna got poisoned. But I easily killed the wurmple and continue. Beaten the rich boy and the girl with my seedot and continue. Before continuing I think,
Let's poison to death poochyena so I did and bam! Rusboro City! And might as well train cuz there pretty low level at the moment.

Team:
Doge (Poochyena)
Lvl 12
Tackle
Howl
Sand-Attack

See That. (Seedot)
Bide
Harden
Growth
Bullet Seed

0/8

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Finished Pokemon White with the normal type and here you have it, my third ultimate challenge completed! :D

I was originally planning on completing my bug run first but there are no bug types available before the 2nd gym so decided to complete my normal run first. I managed to catch a male and female Sewaddle in Pinwheel Forest during this run which I bred for an egg to trade over to my other copy of White so I can start that challenge too. So expect my bug run to be completed soon as well :)

There is something I would like to point out about a normal monotype in Pokemon Black/White and that is how underwhelming most of the mons really are. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of them, they're just not that great :(

Challenge
Spoiler:
Badges
50px-Trio_Badge.png
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png
50px-Bolt_Badge.png
50px-Quake_Badge.png
50px-Jet_Badge.png
50px-Freeze_Badge.png
50px-Legend_Badge.png

Hall of Fame
No image this time unfortunately, was playing on my hardcopy of Pokemon White and didn't have a camera around :(
Final Team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 23, 2016
Kinda bit of a rush! So here it goes!

Adventure:
Didn't train tbh just beaten the trainers against the gym. Seedot evolved into Nuzleaf so its pretty ez now. Roxanne's Nosepass was kinda tough so I just bullet seed spam. The geodudes were easy so no probs! Earned the bagde and leave and help peeko and help the guy and call the pokenub and bam. And also catch an HM Slave! (Nincada)

Team:
Doge (Poocheyna)
Lvl 13
Tackle
Howl
Sand-Attack

See That (Nuzleaf)
Bide
Nature Power
Growth
Bullet Seed

HM Slave (Nincada)
HM Moves ofc not important

1/8

Kinda short coz gotta go fast.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Ultimate Fire Monotype - Pokemon Fire Red - Final Update

Wooooo!!!! I won!!!!!!!

By "won" I mean: revive spammed my way through with the hope of not running out before getting to Gary ;) Really though, I should have grinded a lot more than I did (none).

- Navigated victory road
- Bought 40 Revives, 20 Full Heals and 60 Hyper Potions
- It's sad when the most trouble you have in the e4 is with the first Pokemon, dumb Dewgong... ruining my fun...
- After revive chaining through that endeavor I had a bit of trouble Sinking Lorelei, I got through it though
- Charizard + Flamethrower + Onix, surprisingly effective when it came to Bruno. Everything else was Fly Fly Fly :P
- Same story with Agatha, but with more Flamethrower and less Flying
- Lance was annoying... Pretty glad his Gyarados didn't have any water type moves xD I had to revive chain against his Aerodactyl too
- Gary was easy, at least compared to Dewgong. I had to revive chain against his Rydon's Rock Tomb/Earthquake until its attack was lowered by repeated Arcanine Intimidate cycles.
- That's about it, Oak brought me to the thrown room and I listened to the credits.

Pokemon:

Charizard - lvl 59
Arcanine - lvl 51
Rapidash - lvl 48

2 revive/HM slaves

Badges: 8
Final time played: 16:38
Pokedex, for laughs: 9

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Forum User Name: keishajay
Pokémon Type: Ground
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): Emerald

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
First challenge I'm doing, so I thought I'd start simple haha

Forum User Name: CDB
Pokémon Type: Bug
Game(s): SoulSilver

SmashMaster24

Eevee Lover and Dark Master
Years
Dragon Ultimate Dragon Monotype Challenge
Sinnoh Update 1

Spoiler:

Current Team:
gabite.png

Gary (Gabite) ♂ Lv. 34 (Soothe Bell)
Sand Veil, Rash Nature
Dragon Rage, Dragon Claw, Slash, Sand-Attack

HM Slaves: Turtwig (Rock Smash, Cut)

Last edited:

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
Hi !
It's been a long time since I posted my Heartgold adventures in my Normal Monotype Challenge
What ? August 2014 ?! I think I overslept a bit ...

Well, I lost that file, so I have to start back from scratch. Well, here we go !

Forum User Name: Blaki'
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game: Leaf Green - Heartgold - Emerald - Platinum - White 2 - Y

Adventure Log :
Spoiler:

Badges :
Spoiler:

My team at this point :
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Ultimate Fire Monotype - Pokemon X - Final Update

I had been going out of my way to avoid finishing this challenge for the past few weeks... I really didn't want to grind and I HAD to this time ;-; Not enough to make me use the new EXP share though. Anyway, it took a bit of patience (well, more than a bit) but I got it done this weekend.

- Grinded the best I could through victory road
- Challenged and failed against the e4
- Grinded some more
- Found a way to take out Fire lady and Iron guy, but couldn't take Dragon lady's Dragalge yet.
- Grinded some more, bought a good amount of Hyper Potions, Revives, and Full Heals
- Being strong enough to beat the first three, I thought I could take on Water guy. NoPe! I got slaughtered.
- Grinded some more
- Repeated the 2 above 3 times
- Finally found a sound strategy of revive chaining + toxic, finally took him out \o/
- Swept Diantha with little trouble
- Beat tall guy, credits and
- Fin~

Team:
Houndoom - lvl 61
Charizard - lvl 68
Delphox - lvl 53
Torkoal - lvl 48

Playtime: 21:22
Next Game: Probably Platinum

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
Forum User Name: i0Bjhansen0
Pokémon Type: Ghost
Game: Platinum

Expected team: Dusknoir, Gengar, Driflblim, Froslass with Mismagius and Spiritomb (rule permitting).

Couple questions.
1. What are the rules about item cheating, like with an AR? Like if I wanted to give myself max Master Balls or give myself hold items, etc? I would assume using infinite HP and 1-hit kills (and possibly max restore items) would be against the rules. I must have missed that rule.
2. Misdreavus is Pearl native. Do I have to wait to trade it to my game until after I get the first PKMN of my type?
3. Spiritomb requires that I need to go to the underground and talk to someone 32 times. Can I cheat that event to happen without the 32 conversations and use my 1 hack? Or do I not get 1 hack anymore? I probably could talk to my Pearl game 32 times but it would be time consuming.

Some progress from making this post.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years

Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Grass

HeartGold

Badges: 8/16​

Progress Report:

1. Decided to partake in the bug-catching contest. After several tries, caught a Scyther and got first place, winning Sun Stone (for Sunflora)
2. Went back to Route 34 and got the Pokegear number of the NPC that can give out Leaf Stones for Weepinbell and Exeggcute. So far, got only one Leaf Stone.
3. Took on the Radio Tower mini-challenge. Poison types are a bit of hassle but thankfully, Exeggcute has Confusion.
4. Went on towards the Ice Path, clearing it as quickly as I can because Ice is never a Grass-types friend.
5. Arrived in Blackthorn City. Proceeded to Route 45 and do a little grinding.
6. Evolved Sunkern and Weepinbell to Sunflora and Victreebel.
victreebel.png
sunflora.png

7. Decided to battle Clair and it was surprisingly easy. Strength Meganium carried.

Team:

Spoiler:

Pics:

Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
2. Misdreavus is Pearl native. Do I have to wait to trade it to my game until after I get the first PKMN of my type?
3. Spiritomb requires that I need to go to the underground and talk to someone 32 times. Can I cheat that event to happen without the 32 conversations and use my 1 hack? Or do I not get 1 hack anymore? I probably could talk to my Pearl game 32 times but it would be time consuming.[/SPOILER]

For Misdreavus I would say it's fine to trade it in once you get to the point in the game where it would be catchable in pearl, which I think is in eterna forest if I'm not mistaken. Any time after that should be fine. As for Spiritomb I'm pretty sure so long as you're at the point in the game where you obtain the explorer kit you can give yourself the odd keystone, since many people play on emulators and wouldn't be able to meet anyone underground anyway.

Hope that helps :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
For Misdreavus I would say it's fine to trade it in once you get to the point in the game where it would be catchable in pearl, which I think is in eterna forest if I'm not mistaken. Any time after that should be fine. As for Spiritomb I'm pretty sure so long as you're at the point in the game where you obtain the explorer kit you can give yourself the odd keystone, since many people play on emulators and wouldn't be able to meet anyone underground anyway.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks. I just got to Eterna Forest, trying to get a Ghastly. I saw a Beautifly already but still no Ghastly. Once I get to Route 209, I'll cheat for the Spiritomb. The code I have lets me bypass the requirements.

[EDIT] I tried looking for Pearl but I think I lost it. I have HG but I'm not sure if Misdreavus is available early on in the game. I'm not sure how far I am on it. If I can't find Pearl, is it ok to cheat Misdreavus in the wild? I don't use Mismagius ever so I figured this would be a good time to use it.

Progress
Spoiler:

More Progress
Spoiler:

Last edited:

CDB

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Not sure how often I should update but I played a lot haha (Bug SS run)

Current Team:
015.gif
214f.gif
166f.gif
049.gif

Barbara(41) Hera(42) Lilac(40) Vlad(40)

50px-Zephyr_Badge.png
50px-Hive_Badge.png
50px-Plain_Badge.png
50px-Fog_Badge.png
50px-Storm_Badge.png
50px-Mineral_Badge.png
50px-Glacier_Badge.png

Spoiler: Progress

- Started Chikorita for that fire disadvantage
- Caught Ledyba & Weedle right after Cherry Grove
- Evolved Weedle into a Beedrill - surprisingly Falkner was not too bad because all he used was Tackle
- Got to Azalia Town & Beedrill carried once again
- Got headbutt in Ilex Forest & backtracked to catch a Heracross
- Trained a bunch, Heracross Brick Break'd Whitney's face
- Caught a Venonat @ the Bug Catching Contest
- Heracross is too good at this game, Aerial Ace'd Morty's face
- Heracross is still too good, Aerial Ace'd the Cianwood Gym
- Heracross is broken, Brick Break'd all of Olivine City
- defeated Team Rocket @ Mahogany Base
- Heracross Brick Break'd all of Mahogany Gym
- radio tower is messed up, gotta fly there now

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
Progress Update.
Spoiler:

More Progress
Spoiler:

Current Team
Spr_4p_429.png
Lv. 51
Spr_4p_094.png
Lv. 49
Spr_4p_395.png
Lv. 40 (HM Slave)
Spr_4p_478.png
Lv. 37
Spr_4p_477.png
Lv. 37
Spr_4p_426.png
Lv. 36
Spr_4p_442.png
Lv. 36 (Boxed)

Last edited:

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
Hohen Update 5
Saved the people at the weather institute
Defeated my Rival
Spoke with Steven Stone got my scope
Defeated Winona
Caught a Maril
Maril Evolved so did Carvanah and so did Wingul
Went Lillycove
Defeated my Rival again
Trounced team Aqua several times
Accidently critical hit Kyroge
Saved in front of the Gym

Team
Swampert Lv 51
swampert.gif

Strength
Earthquake
Dive
Rock Slide

Lombre Lv 52
lombre.gif

Surf
Nature Power
Uproar
Zen Headbutt

Pelipper
Lv 43
pelipper.gif

Brine
Air Cutter
Fly
Protect

Shaepedo Lv42
sharpedo.gif

Crunch
Slash
Poison Fang
Ice Fang

Milotic Lv 28
milotic.gif

Surf
Recover
Aqua Tail
Dragon Tail

Azumarill Lv46
azumarill.gif

Bubble Beam
Superpower
Play Rough
Aqua Tail

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge
Game:
Black 2

Blue, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 (8/8), X/Y?

Last time (admittedly a while ago) I reported on beating Skyla and spending an unreasonable amount of time at the PWT for useless BP. And beating Drayden. I don't remember everything up until now, but I sure as hell know that Crustle has been kicking butt. I think Galvantula or Accelgor took out Marlon, idk, it's been a while. Anyway, today I took out the Plasma Frigate, then Colress, then Black Kyurem and finally Ghetsis. Colress was actually the most difficult one, because aside from Scolipede's Dig, I have absolutely nothing to combat his Steel-type Pokémon.Eventually I was able to get Escavalier to +6 attack and then just force my way through his team. Crustle one-shotted Black Kyurem and he would've one-shotted every single one of Ghetsis' Pokémon, if it weren't for getting badly poisoned at the start of the match. After all that went down, N gave a touching speech and I moved on from the Giant Chasm. Now I'm ready to take on Route 23 and the Victory Road, and finally the Pokémon League!

Here's my current team:
Spr_5b2_558.png

Crustle, lv. 58 @ Leftovers
Male // Jolly // Sturdy
- X-Scissor
- Faint Attack
- Rock Slide
- Shell Smash
Spr_5b_589.png

Escavalier, lv. 56 @ Metal Coat
Male // Relaxed // Swarm
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Return
- Iron Head
Spr_5b_596.png

Galvantula, lv. 55 @ Magnet
Female // Timid // Compoundeyes
- Signal Beam
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Sucker Punch
Spr_5b_617.png

Accelgor, lv. 55 @ Big Root
Male // Timid // Hydration
- Recover
- Venoshock
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
Spr_5b_545.png

Scolipede, lv. 57 @ Soft Sand
Female // Adamant // Swarm
- X-Scissor
- Aqua Tail
- Swords Dance
- Dig
Spr_5b_542.png

Leavanny, lv. 57 @ Miracle Seed
Male // Jolly // Swarm
- Leaf Blade
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
Spoiler:

I forgot to put my HM Slave into the box and take my Spiritomb out.
Ending Team
Spr_4p_429.png
Lv. 61
Spr_4p_094.png
Lv. 51
Spr_4p_426.png
Lv. 45
Spr_4p_478.png
Lv. 42
Spr_4p_395.png
Lv. 43
Spr_4p_477.png
Lv. 42
Spr_4p_442.png
Lv. 36 (Boxed)

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge
Game:
Black 2
Challenge complete!

Blue, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2 (8/8), X/Y?

Route 23 and Victory Road were so-and-so. I kinda rushed it, so onwards to the League!

Shauntal:
Spoiler:

Marshal:
Spoiler:

Caitlin:
Spoiler:

Grimsley:
Spoiler:

Iris:
Spoiler:

I couldn't have asked for a better E4 challenge. Everyone on my team got their moment of glory.

FINAL TEAM:
Spr_5b2_558.png

Crustle, lv. 60 @ Leftovers
Male // Jolly // Sturdy
- X-Scissor
- Strength
- Rock Slide
- Shell Smash

Crustle is a beast. Or, rather, Shell Smash is a beast move. Crustle kicked butt, because with Sturdy I was always guaranteed to be able to set up at least one Shell Smash, and after that, there wasn't much that Crustle couldn't OHKO. Beautiful, terrifying little crab.
Spr_5b_589.png

Escavalier, lv. 60 @ Metal Coat
Male // Relaxed // Swarm
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Return
- Iron Head

I've always been a fan of Escavalier, and nothing's changed. He can tank hits, he can dish out damage. Friggen' love this guy.
Spr_5b_596.png

Galvantula, lv. 61 @ Magnet
Female // Timid // Compoundeyes
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball

Galvantula was new for me, but I absolutely had to try out CompoundEyes + STAB Thunder, and it was beautiful. Powerful, fast and with an awesome design, this is my kind of Pokémon.
Spr_5b_617.png

Accelgor, lv. 58 @ Big Root
Male // Timid // Hydration
- Final Gambit
- Venoshock
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Like with Escavalier, I've always been a fan of Accelgor, maybe even more so than Escavalier. I just love these guys' design and concept and how Karrablast is the dickhead that steals Shelmet's armour upon being traded, but it doesn't matter, Shelmet just evolves into a super-fast badass ninja snail. Sadly though, Accelgor never really got to shine on this playthrough. He didn't provide any coverage that I really needed, and he somehow always got unlucky. Too bad, though, I still really like this Pokémon.
Spr_5b_545.png

Scolipede, lv. 58 @ Soft Sand
Female // Adamant // Swarm
- X-Scissor
- Aqua Tail
- Swords Dance
- Dig

Had some nice and needed coverage. I'm not a fan of Dig, but I gotta admit, with Earthquake being unavailable, Dig was nice to have. Aqua Tail was also really cool - didn't get to use it a lot, but cool nonetheless. A solid Pokémon all around with some decent coverage.
Spr_5b_542.png

Leavanny, lv. 59 @ Miracle Seed
Male // Jolly // Swarm
- Leaf Blade
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Leavanny just dances around his opponents and strike them down. After one of two Swords Dances, nothing stops this guy. (then again, I guess that's true for most Pokémon) Shadow Claw came in handy.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Ultimate Fire Platinum - Update 1

I have had a lot of free time lately, giving me a good chance to get going on this part of challenge. Unlike Kanto and Kalos, Sinnoh is pretty good at placing fire types around. Of course, when you are only 3 gyms in you're bound to only have 2 or 3 Pokemon anyway. The update is a little longer than usual, throwing it in a spoiler for once :P

Spoiler:

Team:

Snape the Monferno - lvl 28
Slash the Ponyta - lvl 27
-
Bidoof the Slave

Badges: 3
Time: 5:45
Next Update: After 8th gym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back