• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's an earthquake! ~ Natural Disasters

Years
  • Natural disasters always happen somewhere in the world at any given time. They can range from tornadoes, to earthquakes, to hurricanes/typhoons, to even volcanic eruptions.

Just curious, but have any of y'all here ever been involved in a natural disaster, or witnessed one? How did the effects impact you or anyone close to you?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    New Jersey is not the best place to go to find natural disasters. Tornadoes are very rare, it doesn't sit on a plate boundary or a major fault line so no volcanoes or earthquakes really, and by the time hurricanes get up here they're more like an above average thunderstorm than a legit hurricane. Sandy was an exception though. Mudslides and landslides aren't really a thing here either.

Suppose that's a good thing though. Don't have to worry too much about nature sweeping your house away.

Years
  • You may not think of Youngstown, Ohio being earthquake prone, but it was...

http://www.livescience.com/39406-fracking-wasterwater-injection-caused-ohio-earthquakes.html

So I guess it was an unnatural natural disaster.
    Yeah, earthquakes can happen anywhere! Even though that one got caused by something that wasn't natural, they can still occur off of fault line/usual areas.

New Jersey is not the best place to go to find natural disasters. Tornadoes are very rare, it doesn't sit on a plate boundary or a major fault line so no volcanoes or earthquakes really, and by the time hurricanes get up here they're more like an above average thunderstorm than a legit hurricane. Sandy was an exception though. Mudslides and landslides aren't really a thing here either.

Suppose that's a good thing though. Don't have to worry too much about nature sweeping your house away.
    Just curious, but do you guys at least get snowstorms and blizzards in New Jersey that are bad?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just curious, but do you guys at least get snowstorms and blizzards in New Jersey that are bad?
    Sometimes we get ones that are complete hell, sometimes they aren't bad at all.

There was a least one winter where it snowed like nearly a foot almost every week, was not fun.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • My town and all of Southern California had a serious earthquake back in 2010 on Easter (the source of the quake originated from Baja California). Thankfully, our houses didn't crumble, but my priceless figures did. ;_;

Years

I've been through some fairly large quakes. We've also had some fires, floods, and of course the current drought. I've been to several non-disaster active volcanoes and was on a plane that was forced to land in a blizzard. Just need a tornado or hurricane and I'll have disaster bingo.

But more seriously, all these various disasters have made me aware of what to do in an emergency and I have a disaster kit in my place and a fireproof case for important documents. There's a nifty flyer put out by the government of Tokyo about disaster safety. It's got all kinds of tips and lifehack-like tricks to treat wounds and other injuries, cook food safely, stay warm and dry, and other things like that with regular junk like newspapers and plastic bags. [It's here.] Worth looking at if for no other reason than to remind you that there are all kinds of things you should be aware of in a disaster situation.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • We recently had the 7.8 earthquake down south here in NZ and geez it's was scary. I was in bed and my mind/body just froze - couldn't get under a table like I know I'm suppose to. I'm just glad it happened at night otherwise there could have been more casualties :/

Years
    Like above user i also experienced earthquake 5.4 on scale but it was not that scary. I was in school when it happened. I can still recall some of my friends who were scared like damnnn xD
    Its like most earthquake occure around asian country :c I still remember reading about the largest earthquake 9 on richter scale strucking the indonesia in fault line running under sea which caused large tsunami. So much deaths.....

Bay

Years
  • Like Esper, I live in California and I experienced several earthquakes, but I got used to them. There was one time back in October 2004 there was a huge fire in most of Southern California's Inland Empire. Our town didn't get evacuated, but there were ash flying and school was closed for a day or two.

Years
  • Like Esper, I live in California and I experienced several earthquakes, but I got used to them. There was one time back in October 2004 there was a huge fire in most of Southern California's Inland Empire. Our town didn't get evacuated, but there were ash flying and school was closed for a day or two.
    Yikes! Did you happen to experience it outside as well?

There was a wildfire in northern Florida back in 2007, and it was pretty bad. When winds were from the north, it brought smoke from that fire down to Tampa and the sun was just completely shrouded with the skies being an orange-gray shade all day and visibility down too.

Bay

Years
  • The fire was at somewhere in the mountains, so we were at a safe distance. The ash was pretty bad for like a day, though, and so my family an I pretty much stayed inside.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • The Indian subcontinent has a history of earthquakes. There have been quite a few over the past few years & aftershocks that follow. Thankfully not been part of anything that can be termed "disastrous".

Pika Pika :chu:

Back