• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What animal do you think Pidgey was based on?

what was Pidgey created after?

• Female Cardinal

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Pigeon

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • Hawk

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Owl?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
I always thought Pidgey was based off a sparrow mainly because of it's colouring and shape but who knows.
Spoiler:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Possibly a bird in general. I love how this thread has been revived so much. I remember even seing it back when I joined this sit.

Years
It looks like your typical sparrow:

Spoiler:

To the point where I have no idea why spearow's name is closer to sparrow than pidgey haha

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
A sparrow! At first I would've said Pidgeon, but it looks too close to a sparrow to me.
Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'd say that it's just a generic bird, drawing inspiration from various species. However, if I had to pick a single species that most reminds me of Pidgey, I'd have to go with the Carolina Wren. Just give it a thicker beak and ruffle its "hair" a bit and voila!

Spoiler:

EDIT: Pidgey also bears some resemblance to the Horned/Shore Lark.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 7, 2021
for anyone looking at this in the future because the thread is pretty old I want you to look up what a house finch looks like and i think that is the bird that looks the most like pidgey

Years
for anyone looking at this in the future because the thread is pretty old I want you to look up what a house finch looks like and i think that is the bird that looks the most like pidgey

That's really interesting and I can definitely see it being true. Though the sparrow still looks really close to me too!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Oct 21, 2021
Honestly, pidgey kinda looks like a chukar partidge to me. Pinkish beak and legs, that weird stripe thing by its eyes, and it's brown.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 26, 2021
Pidgey's design is an amalgamation of the following:

a homing pigeon
a sparrow
a cedar waxwing
a carolina wren
a chickadee

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
Pigeon. My argument is that in Gen 1 the majority of pokemon had their names based on an animal or an object attached to their bodies

Back