• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GDW: Issue 1- Uranium Exclusive!

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016

Game Developer Weekly
Issue 1

A letter from the Editor
By h POKE

AS ANY true lover of video games can tell you, there was a time,
albeit long ago, when America ruled the market. Yes, those where
the good old days, now long lost to the sands of time, or more ac-
curately the floods of profit.

You see, way back in 1983, things changed. A market, bloated on the
sheer quantity of product flying out of it (with little to no con-
cern at all to quality, I might add), finally collapsed on its own
weight. On that day, the day the ticker tapes stopped for many
cash-hungry American men, I think the industry changed as a whole.
Gone now was an age of innocence, where nobody had experienced the
harsh consequences of a truly cold market, and in its stead was real-
ity.

Thank God for reality.

To these people, the realization that ANY market will collapse if
there is little concern to the consumer came bearing upon them like a
Mac truck. And with a swish of concession by the groveling Americans,
in came the Japanese, with force.

Once again, our eyes were flooded by marvelous technicolor wonders,
almost as great to be played as they were on our store shelves. Those
hesitant consumers (i.e, those regular kids) eventually came out from
underneath the covers, and were willing to embrace the video game again.

Looks like a happy ending for our fair consumer, but what about all that
reality? We see the reality of the video game industry every day, you
maybe just don't notice it because failures, well... fail. In truth, most
failures of today are no longer simply based on a lack of quality, but a
failure on part of the consumer. The Bioshock and the Fallout 3 is put
center-stage because of advertising, whilst The Last Express, Psychonauts,
and countless others sit on the sideline waiting for some person to learn
that good stuff comes from the least expected places.

The principle this website was founded on, I should hope. Sure, we all have
experienced our crashes like those Americans in 1983, but the gold, the real
gold comes from here as well. And that is what I know this newsletter was
founded upon. So, continue to create, to inspire, and even to work together
because no matter how pointless all this deigning may seem some time, know
that I've got your back.

Sincerely,
J.P. Ryan

Other news------>
Spoiler:

Reviews

Rising Star, Setting Sun
Pokemon Uranium
My Rating: 8.5/10
Popular Rating: 3.88/5

More Info
Demo Unavailable
Official Website (none)

"Between two of the islands of Tandor, out in the middle of the ocean,
there was once a Nuclear Power plant in which your mom, Lucille, worked.
Ten years ago, when you were just a baby, there was a nuclear meltdown.
One of the workers who managed to escape said that in the wreckage of
the plant, he had seen what looked like a Pokémon--but none that he had
ever seen before--rising out of the wreckage...

Now it's your turn. In the ten years since the meltdown and your mothers'
disappearance, your Father (an established Pokémon ranger) has been
journeying the region in search of your mother who he is sure is still
alive. You live in the care of your aunt in Moki town, and at twelve years
old you are ready to take the Pokémon Trainers' exam and journey out,
following in your fathers' footsteps to undertake the Tandor league
challenge...
"
Spoiler:

Pokemon Moonlight Review by Delta

Spoiler:

Burning Passion
Pokemon Flame of Destiny
My Rating: 4/10
Popular Rating: 1.57/5

More Info
Demo Unavailable
Plot and Story Review

"You live in Antler Town. It's your first day with a Pokémon. When you go down
from the stairs, your mom gives you something so new--the Pokégear 5310
XpressMusic and the trendy Running Shoes. She said that Professor Cleo is
looking for you--maybe the Professor will give you something...

When you go to the lab, you answer her questions and, depending on your answers,
she'll give you your first Pokémon. Her teacher, Professor Oak, drops by to
give you a Pokédex. After some conversations in the lab you go to one of the
houses there where an old man will give you a free S.S. Ticket to Bibbur-Si's
cruise ship--Princess of the Stars! Outside Antler Town, you'll meet one of
your rivals.

As you advance into the game, you'll hear anything about the villanous team in
the entire Bibbur-Si Continent, known as Team C.A.T. They kidnap Trainers to
become their grunts, known as officials...
"

Spoiler:

Interviews

Interview with ~JV~

Spoiler:

Interview with POKEM4NlAC

Spoiler:

Protip of the Week
Mapping

1. Mountains: Mountains can become very boring if you don't vary the edge on them. Instead pf making each level follow the same path, you should add gaps and ledges. This isn't altogether very difficult, it's simply the memory required to keep each level seperated from the next and in a logical order in your head. I could keep blabbing, but it would probably also be helpful if I gave you a picture:
Spoiler:

As you can see, it's a simple yet effectively intersting map. Not my best work, but that's not the point. You should build from the top-down, starting with a small, top layer, then creating progressively larger layers until you have a considerable mountain. Once you've created the mountains themselves...

2. Decorate: This is an important part in map making. It may not seem that way at first, but creating a good amount of detail and random features can really excite not only players, but viewers about your game. On top of your mountains, you should put trees, although not necessarily forests (a lot of flat space would be required, something that can detract from the effect mentioned before. Rocks of different shapes and sizes used in small quantities across a range certainly adds a rugged feeling as well.

3. In cities and towns, one of the great things you can do, is to add greenery. So, you can place various houses, spread out along a road, and that would be okay. But, if you created a row of trees separating the houses from the road, and placed flowers (or lampposts) sparingly on the non-house side of said treeline, you would have a significantly more interesting map. Additionally, placing borders between two different types of terrain, especially between certain conflicting road surfaces found in the maps of big cities, is simple method to drastically improve the look of a map. Something that would get a bit more complicated, but is equally interesting, is the use of strange roads. Instead of straight lines and quadrilateral intersections, stretch around your roads a bit and make objects meet at odd places, rather than head on. once again, I might be confusing you, so it'd be easier to look below:
Spoiler:

The top intersection is a good example of what I was talking about. A bit on the large side for a piece of road, but good all the same. Note: In case you didn't know, big road is most often not the idea for a map, unless you're creating a large city. I also think I could varied the road a bit more towards the bottom as well. One of the keys to mapping success is moderation. If you're missing stuff, the finished product will seem empty. If you have excess of a good thing (most often decoration), your map will look busy, if not just plain silly.

4. Vary: This is important as well. I mentioned the concept underhandedly a few times before, but it should be something to keep in mind whether you're making a town, city, or even a little route. People hate straight lines in maps. They also generally hate patterns. Although the latter is arguable (think about making a system of equal-sized blocks in a city map...), if your theme is "nature", a pattern is bad. Grass is an example of a good thing to vary. Don't DON'T make a big, solid chunk of grass. If you look above, you see I put spots in the patches of grass, something that almost always looks better than a solid patch (of course, everything has to be in moderation. Even a great technique like that is limited to routes and the fringes of towns...)

Contact Us
Be sue to send in your letters for next issue. Feel free to comment on anything you like.

Staff Position open: Text Formatter
You would do the work of formulating the magazine itself. You would take all the articles, and place them into a printable format (in CSS).

Cheers,
The GD Crew
h POKE
Delta

Last edited:

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
I'm likely the only one, but I find it rather ironic how there can be such a gigantic outrage about "sprite theft" where Waudby is using edited sprites of somebody else, where as in fact 99% of this forum is using unedited, copyrighted material from Nintendo, without permission. It seems rather short-sighted, not to mention ridiculous.

As for the whole concept of "sprite theft", if you don't want other people to use it, don't post it. In the end most of it is just edited Diamond and Pearl material anyway, complaining that somebody else "stole" "your work" and edited it is pot calling the kettle black.

We're all thieves on this forum, we're using nintendo's ideas and work, so stop acting like Waudby committed a crime. What he did is no worse than what everybody else on this forum is doing.

Edit:
Also, your pro tip is missing the image of the map you're talking about.

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
Years
This Is really well done h POKE. I'm honestly really impressed. great job...The Odyssey scandal is a bit of a downer to me however...I'm a bit sad about it.

Likewise

Bye.
Years
I am extremely impressed.
I couldn't begin to tell you the good points, so I'll tell you what impressed me the most, you singled no one out.
Instead of focusing on games or developers that are very well known, you focused on games or developers who arent as well known, but just as deserving, and gave them some of the limelight.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
In the end most of it is just edited Diamond and Pearl material anyway, complaining that somebody else "stole" "your work" and edited it is pot calling the kettle black.
Edit:
Also, your pro tip is missing the image of the map you're talking about.

Kyledove's tiles are 100% scratch,not just edits of D/P tiles. Just thought I'd clear that up. And I can see the images just fine :S

Anyway, that was pretty good. However, there are still a few problems.
Firstly, I don't think it was necessary to include Kyledove's sig. It was deemed inappropriate by the mods, and you've already stated his main point; I wouldn't have included it if I were you. Also, that section was quite hard to read; you should have made use of different font styles (for example, used italics for the quotes).

Secondly, I'm not too sure about publicly denouncing In Moose We Trust. Yes, it may not have been the best idea, but surely all you've written there are opinions; sure, it makes it more interesting to include them, but again, I don't think a newsletter is the best place to put them.

Finally, some nitpicks. 'Principle' is spelled wrong in the opening.
There are a few things that bug me about the mapping tips; firstly, you've made errors in the fences in the first one (you haven't used the fence end tiles properly). I'm not too keen on the mapping style used with the trees, either; some people may like the 'realisticness' of irregularly-placed trees, but a game is no place for that. The focus in a game should be on playability; it's hard to navigate single-tile wide paths. You've misused a couple of tiles on the mountain, too; you can still see green edges around the 'ponds', the cave entrance has the wrong palette, the 'mud puddle' tiles are supposed to be used inside caves, and flowers wouldn't grow on solid rock.
The second map is better, but you shouldn't mix R/S/E and FR/LG tiles (the small trees are R/S/E, and the large tree and buildings are FR/LG). You shouldn't have lots of different building styles in one town; you should only use one type of building (excluding special buildings, such as a lab or daycare centre). Finally, never put wild Pokémon grass in towns!

Anyway, despite those, it was a good read; I hope to see more issues in the future!

Waudby

I'd actually like to make a correction to your claims in the Odyssey part.

I never refused to comment on my own thread, I was actually away for the weekend, I had a relative pass away and was down in the south of england visiting family members.

There are a few other niggles I have with some of the comments you have made but I wont digress into them.

I would like to think that in future, you will check all you information before blindly posting and make incorrect statements about things.

And I would also like to hope that you will stop causing more trouble than is needed and let things settle.

Thanks.

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
And I can see the images just fine :S
They were added after my comment. =)

But on a more productive sidenote, as addition to your protip about mountains, I'd like to add the tip of not putting the default tree down with the horrendous green 'shadow'. That works if you put it down on top of grass, but I am seeing more and more people dropping those shadows onto sand and mountains, and it looks quite laughable.

If at all possible, try to put trees on grass (cause they don't grow very well in concrete rock anyways), but if it can't be avoided and it has to grow on rock, make sure the shadow matches the underground. It's easy to cut and paste a default tileset and to map something with it, but that little bit of extra work can make all the difference when people look at your map.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Well, right now I have to get ready for school, but when I come back I will definitly read it! 8D It looks beyond amazing h POKE, you've really outdone yourself!

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Nice stuff h POKE, there were a few spelling errors, and some of the articles were a little too influenced by opinion, but otherwise it was pretty good.

P.S. I'd like to take this post to announce that PC Gamer will be incorporated into GDW, because I don't have the time to run a complete publication alone, but that monster of an interview with CA will still be posted in an upcoming publication.

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
I'm likely the only one, but I find it rather ironic how there can be such a gigantic outrage about "sprite theft" where Waudby is using edited sprites of somebody else, where as in fact 99% of this forum is using unedited, copyrighted material from Nintendo, without permission. It seems rather short-sighted, not to mention ridiculous.

As for the whole concept of "sprite theft", if you don't want other people to use it, don't post it. In the end most of it is just edited Diamond and Pearl material anyway, complaining that somebody else "stole" "your work" and edited it is pot calling the kettle black.

We're all thieves on this forum, we're using nintendo's ideas and work, so stop acting like Waudby committed a crime. What he did is no worse than what everybody else on this forum is doing.

I'm sorry, but I found this a personal attack. First of all, how can my tiles be edits of Diamond and Pearl when I CREATED the diamond and pearl tiles from SCRATCH (since they are impossible to rip.)
Surely the fact I made them from scratch should be testament enough that I can make my own without having to steal.
This is hardly the same as fans using nintendo's tiles - I do not get paid millions for making my tiles, I'm not as well known - people could use pokemon tiles and you'd recognize it, but people can steal my sprites and claim them as theirs and get away with it.

And the whole idea of "if you don't want people to use it, don't post it" is far more ridiculous than anything I've ever heard. Have we really reached a point in civilisation where you cant show your art without it being stolen and you're supposed to accept that as normal? Is there no trust or even a sense of common decency in humanity anymore? That's like saying why even walk out the door when people might steal your clothing styles, hairstyles, etc. Why not just spend all your life in your room then?

I am not a thief of nintendo, at least try to research what you're talking about before starting to make accusations. I havent seen any sky routes, river routes, and hundreds more of my map ideas in any pokemon game before.

Sorry about this, I love the newsletter h POKE! Great job, and very fair and unbiased. I sound just as stupid as usual XP

Last edited:

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
A Review for the review!
Now that I've read the interview from my own personal game, I agree with most of your points, Agent Zero. But, I hope you don't mind if I burst a few of your bubbles... First of all, this screenshot is extremely outdated and that particular map has been deleted; and the story redone since then. Also, you're hinting on calling foul play with the battle arena in Neicawave? To answer that question, that area was put there becuase most residents of Neicawave are chinese and Scott (The creator of the Battle Frontier, supposedly. More info here) wanted to move this specific arena to the special city. Some more intelect on the map; It's called an island becuase it is an Island. Though that region map is slightly outdated (the changed of Elderford becoming seperate from Sunshine And Neicawave City has not been created) so that answers another question (I think). I also think what you're getting at is that the game is rapidly becoming more popular, but at a slow pace becuase of loss of team members, and also a slow pace on creation. Sure, you're correct, and please NOTE: This is my first EVER game created in RMXP, in history. Cut me some slack, thank you very much :x Also, please notice the ending of the review. Please PM me if you are skilled in Fakemon spriter, or at least support some way. Now, back to Agent Zero's review- I'm pleased with what he wrote and it's pretty accurate, except what I have just corrected. I am glad I was one of the first to be reviewed, and I'll edit this post if I find something else. Oh, and also: The alpha is out for all team members, just PM me if you're a team member that hasn't been given the download.

Rock on, GDW~

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
Wichu said:
firstly, you've made errors in the fences in the first one
It's an example map. In other words just something to show principles of mapping. I never created it with the intention of putting in a game, just to use as a guide for people who make craptastic maps.

Furthermore, everyone has their own style. I personally don't like putting in decorations like varied trees (the left side of the second map), or those "mud puddles", but some people do. I just wanted to show how it would be done if that's what you like.

Thiek said:
But on a more productive sidenote, as addition to your protip about mountains, I'd like to add the tip of not putting the default tree down with the horrendous green 'shadow'. That works if you put it down on top of grass, but I am seeing more and more people dropping those shadows onto sand and mountains, and it looks quite laughable.
Yeah, I agree with that. I made these maps quite a while ago (last week), but after a bit more practice mapping (those were my first two maps ever, by the way), I think I better realize the purpose of those shadows. Still, if trees can't grow on mountains or in sand, how do you explain cactus, or... trees on mountains? That happens all the time and I think it's a lot more realistic than you may at first think.

Last edited:

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
Still, if trees can't grow on mountains or in sand, how do you explain cactus, or... trees on mountains? That happens all the time and I think it's a lot more realistic than you may at first think.

Well, the roots can sometimes find cracks in the rock, or go down the side somewhere for a very long run an then root themselves into soil. But pure rock won't really grow any plantlife. Either way, it isn't so much a tree on a mountain looks weird, but a tree with a shadow of a completely different colour than the underground.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
P.S. I got rid of the offensive articles. I did this not because I think I was wrong for publishing them, but because it seems impossible to not stir up an argument if I do. I apologize for publishing those articles.
Bad move, I say. You're not at fault for mentioning things that have happened; the people complaining are at fault for keeping the (in this case) arguments going wherever possible.

Good first issue, by the way. I particularly like the reviews and protip segments.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Yeah, I think it was a bad move too removing them.

Your own the internet, you can say what you want lol.
Joking aside, I think you have the freedom to talk about them. It happened on this section of the board. We are our own little community in a community, we should be able to talk freely with each other about any issues that may be bothering us in this section.
I said it before and I'll say it again- This is a message board after all- isn't that why people come here... To post messages on a virtual board?

Edit:Also, just want to add that the only thing offensive with the Odyssey situation (according to the mods- not me) was kyledove's sig. I taught the threads were closed because the mods didn't understand the situation fully to address it and didn't want any fighting here.
In my own opinion, there are still issues that have not been resolved but because people are to nervous to type anything in fear of getting "flamed" by their peers or banned from the mods nobody has said anything.

Last edited:

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
Years
  • CT
  • Seen Jan 17, 2016
AMENDMENTS

The Odyssey Ends
Odyssey called on carpet in recent scandal
February 2nd, 2009
Spoiler:

There is, in my opinion, some amount of necessity for this article to exist. After some thought on the matter, I figure that this Community will be better off remembering the events of this past week, whether that leaves a positive or negative impression on the minds of the people.

It was never my intention to create more strife and argument. At the same time, my purpose was to change how these boards should work. And the censoring of information, that ANY topic of discussion should be hidden from the public, is something that most definitely should change.

With a new era in politics, and in the world overall, I believe the success of our industry should be tantamount to a freedom of information and ideas.

h POKE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back