• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PMR: Astinus's Adventures In Rules Region Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
EDIT: Some further thinking on this + discussing with others... I am now more of the mind that Astinus's Adventure would probably work better in the Writing Guide/Tips/Whatever region. =P It's got more to work with, and doesn't necessarily rely on the whole 'should be consise, quick and easy to read' deal that Rules tend to carry. *shrug* What do you think?
That's what I was thinking too. The rules need to be clear, concise, and to the point to avoid confusion. Having them lost in a parody story that has chapters that could go on for pages could actually be detrimental. So I was thinking that we could use the story format better for a guide.

*Is kinda at a loss of what's going on sorry*
We all are. People tend to get focused on the wrong thing, and what needs to get discussed never is because it's not THAT THING that requires no importance. So everything is just really disorganized. Like Nazis versus police. REALLY, everyone? That's the focus we're going for? Not how the **** we're going to do this? Whether or not it's a guide for basic writing or the rules?

And do we really want to use me as the main character? Sure, y'all know me somewhat, but like An-chan said, the newbies and returning people to this section DON'T, and they wouldn't find it funny because they won't get the jokes.

Bay

Years
Haha, I was about to post about this as soon as I get some work done, but Breezy and others pretty much said it all. D:

Hm, I guess we can now talk about what really needs to be in the rules first and what fits better in the writing guide? Yeah, need to be clear on this. ^^;

That aside real quick, there is something I thought of.

General Community Rules Followed in F&W
(Whatever's defined by board-wide rules.)
- SPAM is not allowed.
- Posts must have at least 25 characters and 4 words.
- All posts are required to have 4 words.
- Everybody is to respect other people on the board.
- Do not flame, bash or insult other people.
- Thread tags must be relevant.

Fanfic-Specific Rules
(Rules concerning the way a fanfic itself should be presented.)
- All fanfics must be readable.
-- This means that proper English grammar rules should be followed as best as possible.
- Your first post of your fanfic thread must contain a part of your fanfic.
- Do not post unfinished work.
- Rate your fanfic properly, with proper warnings.
-- Links to the rating systems.
-- The no R/18/M rule.
- Only well-written script fics are allowed.

Author Behavior Rules
(What the authors themselves should and shouldn't do.)
- Only the author may bump their thread when posting a new chapter.
-- Definition of "bump" also added to this rule.
- Plagiarizing is not allowed.
- Post your fanfics on the forum.
-- i.e., Do not link to another site, rather than have the text of your story right here on PC.

Reviewer Behavior Rules
(Same thing, only with reviewers.)
- All reviews must be constructive.
-- Definition of "constructive."

Other Important Information
(Guides, important threads, et cetera.)
- Self-explanatory.

I assume we all want to still make this a short story of sorts but for the new people, right? If so, we should just focus on having the story be about the rules and then worry about grammar, description, and such for the writing guide.

Now, to break the rules down to a story...yeah, that won't be easy. D: Any ideas? I don't have any right now, but if I do I'll post them. Otherwise...we can also just do what Breezy said and discuss any ways to make the new members read the current rule thread.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
You know, I'm thinking that we should just re-hash the rules in Standard Forum Rule Format and leave the story aspect for the Writers' Guide. Not only will the people visiting that thread be more likely to care about someone else's story, but if we throw too much into the rules we can kind of make the rule hard to understand (yes, even if we slap the Condensed Version at the end) or - gasp! - go off topic. I think we've all observed a problem with going off topic in the PokéCom writers' community, yes?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Okay. I figured I'd just jump in to help here and there with this whole revitalization thing, because you all seemed to know what you wanted done. I will be the first to say that I'm not a very good organizer, or leader, or anything that has to do with being in a position of authority, and that I'd rather put my efforts into helping you guys with whatever direction you wanted to take this. Apparently that was a mistake, though, because as far as I can see, there is no direction. Everyone's going back and forth about absolutely everything, suggesting, counter-suggesting, arguing, and on and on and on.

Honestly, polish can come later, when we've got a good framework in place. We can't start sculpting until we have some clay, you know? So with that said, let's just effing do this.

The rules are the starting point. They're going to be what we build absolutely everything else off of. Therefore, this is what we should focus on right now. Whether we make said rules into a story or not is irrelevant: let's actually write them first. Until we get them down, practically nothing else can move forward.

Bay's list right there is a great beginning, but let's add some more, especially with regards to the FFL. The major concern we're addressing is that the focus of the FFL has moved from writing to random weirdness and cliquishness. Keeping this in mind, I propose that the first and most important rule of the revised Fanfiction Lounge is that it be for discussing fanfiction, either written by yourself or another person, preferably in a constructive way. The lounge can also be used to discuss language rules in general, such as punctuation, grammar, etc. Anything else would be off-topic and not allowed. We can make another thread for wackiness, or make a group, or whatever, but that's a discussion for later. I also say we instate this rule now, unless someone finds a major issue with it.

I've also come up with a definition for reviews. Ultimately, they should suggest that the author change something. Whether it be a grammar mistake, or a plot hole, or whatever, a review should help the author improve some aspect of what they've written. Anything else you want to say to an author can be sent by VM or PM, whether it be an "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" post or an "I can't find anything wrong with it" post. If you want to praise an author in the midst of a review that's fine, but otherwise save it for VMs.

On to writing rules. I recommend absolutely no color tags, font tags, or size changing tags allowed, at all. Astinus, I know you're a good Samaritan and usually tell authors to change it, but it would be way easier to make this a rule and simply close fics that don't follow it. Also, if someone had formatting, it would tell you immediately that they hadn't read the rules, and you could link them there.

In regards to bad grammar, I say just outright close the fic. Make decent grammar a rule, along with a link to a grammar checking website like this one. That way people have no excuse for horrendous grammar, and you can once again link them to the rules as you lock their thread. Obviously mistakes will still sneak in once in a while, but this will go very far to lighten the load of reviewers.

Ultimately, I don't think there's going to be a way to get everyone to read the rules. Making it very easy to spot who hasn't read the rules, thereby allowing you to close their fic and link them to said rules, is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
A few short side notes, but...

Whether we make said rules into a story or not is irrelevant: let's actually write them first. Until we get them down, practically nothing else can move forward.

Not that it matters or anything, but Bay's list (a quote of the spoiler tag in the first post) was actually a skeletal rendition of the actual rules thread in the main forum. Sure, it's a jumping off point, but the point's pretty much that we've already got the rules drawn up, basically. (As in, the majority of them actually make sense and are pretty much fine. We just need to figure out what's not needed anymore and what rules we'd like to add to them. Beyond that, we need to figure out if any of them need redefined, clarified, and/or dressed up so, you know, people actually read them and understand what they're trying to say.)

I've also come up with a definition for reviews. Ultimately, they should suggest that the author change something.

I don't know about this, personally. This might actually discourage a lot of people from participating in the forums because it's saying you can't say anything unless it's constructive criticism. Sometimes, readers might not find anything actually wrong with the story, and that's perfectly okay. Of course, this isn't to say that we should allow one-liner praises, but even just a paragraph saying short specifics about what you thought concerning a story's still an intelligent bit of thought that an author could respond to, right? Meanwhile, if we make it a rule that everyone has to leave concrit, we might just as easily get one-liners about how the grammar needs work without any explanation. Or, well, kids who don't feel like they want to review because they don't have anything to say.

Short of it is, all a review is, in my opinion, is feedback. It could be completely positive, so long as it says something about the story. So, instead, perhaps we could just say that reviews need to talk about one or two specific points about the story. Anyone can say, "I really liked the part about (insert something here) because it (insert view here)," and that's not quite as intimidating, is it? Sure, we just need to discourage people from going, "omg great fic!!! cant wait for more!!!1," but that's really just as simple as saying, "It's completely okay if you just want to write a paragraph about a few specific bits of the chapter."

Beyond that, if we're aiming to get people to write substantial reviews (like, more than a couple of lines), that's probably just something we'll have to leave to experience and emulation -- as in, just letting the experienced reviewers set an example that everyone else follows.

In regards to bad grammar, I say just outright close the fic. Make decent grammar a rule, along with a link to a grammar checking website like this one.

We'll have to define things like "decent grammar" as clearly as possible if we do something like this. Not turning it down or anything. I'm just saying if you make a rule that involves the word "decent," you'll need to be very specific because the word "decent" is a bit abstract itself. What if something's readable, but the author just doesn't get how to punctuate dialogue or when to use a comma? Both are pretty common errors that can breed like rabbits all over your chapter, and the giant sum of errors that result could just as easily be fixed if a reviewer came along and said politely, "Let me teach you how to use commas." ('Course, we also have grammar guides in the list Dagzar's compiling, but still.)

Or are you talking about the kinds of fics written by people who don't even care about spelling or proper punctuation? (Those usually end up closed anyway due to not matching the vaguely defined standards of the forum either way.)

Also, we'll want to be careful here, too. While, obviously, we'll want to shut down trollfics as quickly as possible, we also don't want to discourage young writers who just honestly don't know any better. How do we screen the kids who are willing to learn from the ones who aren't?

Short of it on that point is, sure, we want to step up the quality of the section, but we also want to define what quality actually is. What are the forum standards mentioned in the actual rules sticky? Do we have the reviewers enforce them by teaching them to the rest of the forum, or can we have a rule about them? How do we create a rule about them without driving people away? And so on and so forth.

Other than that, I've given it some thought, and I do like the idea of a condensed version as Breezy said. Perhaps a preservation of the old rules, with the redefinitions I've asked about above. (I could ask a hell of a lot more about the rules, but since standard's one of the larger vague issues with the other biggies being pretty much common sense, we could start with that.) If we do end up doing a story, we could actually attach it in subsequent posts, after the rules thread. I know this doesn't answer the issue of stickies, either, but it might at least give the illusion that there's discussion going on that a newbie might want to read through.

Alternatively, we could scrap the story idea altogether and just do what SPPf does by keeping the thread unlocked so people can actually post questions about how the forums are run. As far as I can tell, people actually pay attention to the thread over there if there's a new post. 'Course, that's on top of what Breezy said about examples.

As for the question about what this thread is supposed to be about, it's actually just about the general rules of the forum. Standard's one of them (like the rule that causes fics to get locked if they "don't meet forum standards"), and that will definitely need a short but clear definition if we're actually going to keep it (as I've mentioned above). Other than that, yeah, we're not actually trying to come up with a grammar guide, writing guide, et cetera.

In fact, didn't we say that a general writing guide wouldn't be a good idea, guys? I mean, don't you remember what happened with the last attempts at writing guides we had? >_> You know, the writing one that told people to abuse Microsoft Word's thesaurus and the grammar one that only covered commas and homophones? Besides, Dagzar's compiling a list of off-PC tools, including online spellcheckers and guides to grammar and writing. (Remember how we figured it'd be easier to just do something like that than come up with more stickies that people won't read to clutter up the forums, especially since we all seem to have differing ideas about what should be included in said guides?) If you have any links that aren't the old ones on PC, drop them off in the main PMR thread.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
Just so that maybe it would help...

What if something's readable, but the author just doesn't get how to punctuate dialogue or when to use a comma? Both are pretty common errors that can breed like rabbits all over your chapter, and the giant sum of errors that result could just as easily be fixed if a reviewer came along and said politely, "Let me teach you how to use commas." ('Course, we also have grammar guides in the list Dagzar's compiling, but still.)

Or are you talking about the kinds of fics written by people who don't even care about spelling or proper punctuation?
My mental standards have always been "Is it readable?" If someone doesn't know the proper way to punctuate dialogue, then the fic remains open because everything else checks out. If the fic is pretty much "WTF"-inducing, then I close it because it would take forty years to correct everything wrong with it.

For example: This doesn't meet my standards of what a readable fanfiction is because it's obvious that spell-check was not used. At all.

My problem is that some of these people who post fics like that DON'T know what they're doing, and just really don't know better. A closed thread might scare them away, but at the same time, the fic doesn't meet the standards (which is kind of mentioned in the rules thread), and should be closed because hey, rules.

We really need to work on not scaring away the little fresh meat. But that's for the other thread, and my lord all mighty these two threads are hard to keep apart.

Just keep poking at me if you need any answers.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Jax (and Astinus, you ninja you), even if kids want to improve, they still need to read the rules. It's a basic internet-use requirement, and a basic life skill at that. That's the first thing they should do when they come here, and if they obviously haven't (i.e. because there's no way in frell that spellchecker from rule #nth missed fifty words), then having a system in place which inevitably redirects them to the rules thread will accomplish this.

As for vagueness, I understand what you're saying. I moved the rules to Google Docs so we can all edit them and make them snazzy and shiny, and started editing them some.

Other than that, yeah, we're not actually trying to come up with a grammar guide, writing guide, et cetera.

I figured this would all be handled by the "resources" thread.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Jax (and Astinus, you ninja you), even if kids want to improve, they still need to read the rules. It's a basic internet-use requirement, and a basic life skill at that. That's the first thing they should do when they come here, and if they obviously haven't (i.e. because there's no way in frell that spellchecker from rule #nth missed fifty words), then having a system in place which inevitably redirects them to the rules thread will accomplish this.

Well, yes, they do need to read the rules, but we also can't force the rules on them via redirections. Similarly, we can't have a rule that simply says "all fics must have decent grammar." The reason why is pretty much the same for both: we don't want to scare the newbies away, either. Redirection might turn some newbies off, and a lot of newbies (not most but still a lot) tend to tell us that they're scared their fic isn't quality as it is. What we want to do is find a balance -- find a way to make people want to come to the rules thread and find a way to make those rules as far from intimidating as possible. Remember, this is a community, so we want to be open and welcoming to new blood.

That's part of why we're still discussing what should be done, really. It's one step to have the rules set up, but we also need to take the other step in making these rules presentable to new kids without forcing them down their throats. This is also something I've been asking since the planning we did on the FFL because, well, there doesn't seem to be an answer that doesn't involve smacking them on the head. Perhaps just making it look like an open thread with an enticing title might draw people in. Perhaps maybe doing something new or different (like what we were planning at the start of this thread) would. Or perhaps there's something else here that someone else might come up with later on down this thread line, but as a few people up above and in the other thread have already pointed out, we definitely don't want to force newbies outright to go to the thread. They've got to do it willingly, or it'll seem like we're not a particularly fun place to hang out.

So far, Breezy's probably proposed the best suggestion: come up with a clean, concise, and clear version of the rules (probably just a tweaking of the existing rules) that we can sticky. The people who are used to how forum communities work (not only vets but newbies who have been around the block on other writing forums) will check out the rules and help enforce them by teaching them to the newbies who aren't quite savvy yet. Meanwhile, the less experienced newbies who want to be upstanding members of society might check the rules because of the shiny "rules" word in the title (and maybe whatever jazzy thing we do to it). If we still run into quality problems, we'll then run into the paradox Astinus mentioned, which means we'll probably need to make it clear (via a short list or something) what WTF-inducing might actually mean.

So, to sum this post up so far, the questions I'm posing right now are:

1. How do we come up with a set of rules that people will want to read without chasing them away?

2. How do we define quality?

As for my answers to both questions:

1. See above notes and Breezy's post.
2. As a springboard, we've mentioned a lack of spellchecking. We can also include a lack of capitalization or ending punctuation after every sentence (periods, et cetera), and we could perhaps also add that a story needs to be more than X lines long (in order to discourage people from simply writing their story in the post reply box). Supplementing this with the resources list should help authors find word processors to use to solve each of these problems.

Of course, that's probably not all that should go into the definition of quality. You've also mentioned forcing people to strip font coding from their story, although I'd like to point out here that sometimes, copying and pasting text from Microsoft Word adds formatting to a post. Not everyone knows the WYSIWYG trick, either. We could add in an explanation for this or allow people to use black text at any point above 12 (or the default font size for the forums, also for the sake of readability) but not any other color. Most of PC's skins, if I recall correctly, handle black text just fine. Briefly explaining why we're limiting this should help them to understand that the rules are in place to aid them in getting and keeping readers, while giving them options might make it seem less like we're running a fascism.

On top of that, block of text syndrome. Noting that paragraphs must be broken up in a way that makes the text easy to read: new paragraphs for every new speaker and topic, basically. Again, it's an issue of readability, so it might be easier for a newbie to swallow without getting offended or scared off.

In all, stress readability while taking the time to define what readability actually is. Note that I didn't mention problems with dialogue, homophones, punctuation (besides ending marks). This is because we should leave as much of the grammar discussion to the links provided in the resources thread to keep the rule about standards short and sweet. That way, we can avoid intimidating newbies by taking as little of their time as necessary while still being understandable and making it seem like all of these rules are in place for their sake -- so they can get the maximum number of views and replies as possible.

Of course, all of this is just a pack of suggestions. I'm just offering springboards for ideas on what to say to newbies to avoid chasing them away. And, for that matter, how to get them to do what we want without chasing them away that way, too.

I figured this would all be handled by the "resources" thread.

It is. I was just clarifying this because some other people in the thread thought we were going to have a guide.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
So far, Breezy's probably proposed the best suggestion: come up with a clean, concise, and clear version of the rules (probably just a tweaking of the existing rules) that we can sticky.

But see, we still need to toss stuff up for the plot bunny thread, the FFL, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting about. That's what I meant by the whole "this is the basis for everything else" schpeal.

I think maybe we're saying the same thing here, but our hands are missing at the last second of the high-five. What I'm trying to do is get all of these rules pounded out, and then we can pretty them up/tweak them/make them non-scary. If we go from "lock the threads with bad spelling" to "hey doing this will make everything look nicer" or "look at this crazy chapter we wrote about Astinus braving the hordes of darkness misspelled words," that's all fine and dandy, but we need something to work on first.

Breezy

Eee.
Years
txteclipse said:
Bay's list right there is a great beginning, but let's add some more, especially with regards to the FFL. The major concern we're addressing is that the focus of the FFL has moved from writing to random weirdness and cliquishness. Keeping this in mind, I propose that the first and most important rule of the revised Fanfiction Lounge is that it be for discussing fanfiction, either written by yourself or another person, preferably in a constructive way. The lounge can also be used to discuss language rules in general, such as punctuation, grammar, etc. Anything else would be off-topic and not allowed. We can make another thread for wackiness, or make a group, or whatever, but that's a discussion for later. I also say we instate this rule now, unless someone finds a major issue with it.
It's not that the "wackiness" was bad. Your writing discussions became stagnant because your topics were stagnant (from what I've seen). They only allowed for one to two lined responses, and because you couldn't say so much about whatever topic it was, you deviated into outside topics just so your post held some sort of respond-able content. Jokes, having fun, poking each other, that's all great stuff because it keeps the environment chill. It isn't so much "focusing it to just writing" because that sort of lounge will die -- fast. It's more about finding topics that you can actually write good posts about. Ideas you can exchange, points that you can (civilly) argue, and so on.

In short, things that can get feedback. Not just things like, "Errr, what music do you listen to when you write?"

(And for the record, I'm not saying that those sort of topics are bad, and I do hope that you continue having topics like that. But as you can see, you can't really go past one answer. But these sort of topics are helpful for someone who is new to fanfiction because they're simple. Asking complex questions, like canon, might go over heads.)

I've also come up with a definition for reviews. Ultimately, they should suggest that the author change something. Whether it be a grammar mistake, or a plot hole, or whatever, a review should help the author improve some aspect of what they've written. Anything else you want to say to an author can be sent by VM or PM, whether it be an "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" post or an "I can't find anything wrong with it" post. If you want to praise an author in the midst of a review that's fine, but otherwise save it for VMs.
A review isn't simply "finding something that you think the author can fix and commenting on it." I could tell you something like:

"You missed a comma between 'hey' and 'pikachu'" and while that may be handy for someone who is experienced (that is, an author who has the basics of grammar down), it means nothing to a newbie author. Enforcing this sort of rule is just asking for these sorts of comments, and unfortunately, they're not all that helpful to a new author. Like Jax said, if they can't find something to say, then they won't want to review. That's the opposite of what you want, right? Besides, productive praise (commenting on what you think an author did well) is just as useful as constructive criticism (commenting on what you think an author could improve on) because it tells the author what he/she is doing right so he/she can CONTINUE to build on that skill.

Personally, yeah, I do see your one-lined reviews, but I don't think it's that dire of a situation that you are making it come off as. I see things like this:
Yay! I'm addicted to this Fanfic like a Munchlax to Honey! I like how Pikachu is starting to learn words, and how you mentioned how it was strange to have those Vocal Chords. From what I remember on Bulbapedia, Pokemon already know [human] language, they just have a hard time pronouncing it. I'm glad you did your homework! I'm really liking your interpretation of Pikachu.
and I'm like, "That's a pretty great review right there" because it tells the author what they specifically like about the story. It certainly isn't a five page long review, but in no ways is it "bad."

Basically, you don't have to write a constructive crit. review to help the author improve.

Ultimately, I don't think there's going to be a way to get everyone to read the rules. Making it very easy to spot who hasn't read the rules, thereby allowing you to close their fic and link them to said rules, is a step in the right direction.
Forcing them isn't going to do anything either. Personally, that would turn me off. You'll get some bites, but it's not a good enough solution and will create more hostility.

I agree with whoever said (Jax?) something about keeping the rules thread/story open for feedback because it keeps the thread active (locked threads tend to never get read after awhile).

I think maybe we're saying the same thing here, but our hands are missing at the last second of the high-five. What I'm trying to do is get all of these rules pounded out, and then we can pretty them up/tweak them/make them non-scary. If we go from "lock the threads with bad spelling" to "hey doing this will make everything look nicer" or "look at this crazy chapter we wrote about Astinus braving the hordes of darkness misspelled words," that's all fine and dandy, but we need something to work on first.
I agree. You have a lot of balls in the air, and most of them are big projects. While it's helpful that you're dividing the work like that, these people are bound to have questions about what they're suppose to do. My major "eek" with the other thread was "Holy crap, where do I start? o_O"

IMO, what first needs to be worked on is the rules and the FFL. FFL sets the community's vibe and rules are, well, obvious.

Plot bunny thread, emblems, review-of-a-review, challenges all neat ideas, but not as important.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Gotcha on the review thing. Maybe something like this?

"1. Reviews should (must?) be at least two sentences and should refer to a specific part of the story. Example:
Blah. Blah.
Guides on becoming a better reviewer can be found in the resources thread."

As for the Lounge, I have no idea how to turn what you just said into a rule, but it sounds good. Perhaps we should start with "no more bold topics" and go from there?

As for opening the rules thread, fine by me. I don't really know why it's closed in the first place.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
But see, we still need to toss stuff up for the plot bunny thread, the FFL, and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting about. That's what I meant by the whole "this is the basis for everything else" schpeal.

All of the rules concerning those should probably be contained within those threads. That's what first posts are for, after all. If a reader doesn't have context (the part that explains what those threads are), then the rules about them won't make sense, and as Breezy (I do believe) pointed out earlier, the longer a set of rules goes, the less likely people will want to scroll through all of them.

The rules of the forum should pretty much be, well, rules of the forum. Things that cover all of the threads, not just one or two.

I think maybe we're saying the same thing here, but our hands are missing at the last second of the high-five. What I'm trying to do is get all of these rules pounded out, and then we can pretty them up/tweak them/make them non-scary.

First off, and I'm going to put this as lightly as possible, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. As I've said before, we've got a really good rules thread as it is. Most of the rules are already written up. (This is why there was a skeletal outline of them drawn up in the first post. I was expecting all of you to know that these were the very basic gists of the rules we've already got and that we should probably use them as a springboard for where to go from there.) Rather than bulldoze the entire thread and rewrite them from scratch, wouldn't it be a bit easier to just take a look at what we already have and figure out what worked for the FF&W in the past (most of them), what didn't (the tags), and what needed clarification (standards) or added to (reviews)?

In other words, what I've been trying to tell you for the past few posts is that we already have most of the rules written up. This is why there was no discussion about writing the rules in any of the planning threads. There was discussion about tweaking them instead.

That and, well, I was trying to get you to actually look at the rules thread and use it as a basis. We can't actually improve on anything we're doing if we keep saying we need to bulldoze the thread and start from scratch. This sort of misses the point because we're forgetting what we already have.

Secondly, making it readable and accessible to newbies is part of the problem we're facing. Remember, few people read the rules before this point. (For example, the list? The bold parts verbatim. Not sure if you realized that, but.) As Breezy said earlier, we can have a really awesome rules thread -- even having the clearest rules ever -- but all the efforts would be moot if no one actually reads them. (Unlocking the thread might do the trick, as a side note.)

Not only that, but part of what I said about readability (the kind not pertaining to standards) is the fact that we don't want to chase readers away. Most of my earlier post wasn't proposing new stuff, txt. It was commenting on some of your proposals by reminding you that all of the rules we have to come up with need to be understandable for newbies so we don't end up intimidating them. Going on and on about, for example, standards by making them stricter than necessary ends up chasing new blood away because some of them aren't confident in their writing as it is. (Not only that, but making rules that do things like encourage grammar nazism also means we're not addressing the point that a writing community is, primarily, a place where people go to get help with their writing, not just a place where they want to show it off. As I've said before, if we have things like standards rules, we need to understand that some new writers genuinely don't understand how a story is written but are willing to learn. Hence, we need to figure out how we screen for kids who don't want to learn, absolutely don't care, or are trolling the forum and how we deal with the kids who want to learn but just don't get it.)

Huge tangent is huge. Sorry. Long story short, all that bit I was saying about making the rules accessible was trying to tell you that:

1. You'll want to fine-tune your direction by remembering why the rules are going to be put into place. Of course we appreciate your help, txt, but if you want to help, you've got to remember that the goal of the project isn't to chase away newbies or to be harsher to them but instead to figure out how to welcome newbies into the forum and fold them into our community.
2. Forcing them to read the rule thread via redirection (what you've suggested) is probably not the best way to go about things because it will also chase newbies away.
3. We need to be conscious about all of this as well because even if we have a really nice rules thread, it won't mean much if people don't actually read them.

but we need something to work on first.

Well, we could start with the rules we've actually got and work from there.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Oh dear. I don't know what went wrong, but I didn't mean that we should completely re-write the rules from scratch. That's why I tossed them up in Google Docs and started making alterations. I figured that would be the easiest way, but I didn't even consider that people might not have access to it or something? Here's what I have down so far:

General Community Rules Followed in F&W (Whatever's defined by board-wide rules.)
1. SPAM is not allowed.
2. Posts must have at least 25 characters and 4 words.
3. Everybody is to respect other people on the board.
4. Do not flame, bash or insult other people.
5. Thread tags must be relevant.

Fanfic-Specific Rules (Rules concerning the way a fanfic itself should be presented.)
1. All fanfics must be readable.
  • This means that proper English grammar rules should be followed as best as possible.
  • Always run your fic through a spellcheck before posting [link to spellcheck].
  • Break your writing up into paragraphs. The simplest way to do this is to start a new paragraph whenever a new person begins to speak, and whenever you begin talking about a new subject.
  • Remember to punctuate correctly using periods, commas, capitalization, quotation marks, and so forth. See the Resources thread if you need help with this.
  • An excessive amount of misspelled words and/or lack of basic punctuation will result in your thread being closed.
2. Your first post of your fanfic thread must contain a part of your fanfic.
3. Do not post unfinished work.
4. Rate your fanfic properly, with proper warnings.
  • Links to the rating systems.
  • The no R/18/M rule.
5. Only well-written script fics are allowed.
  • What constitutes a well written script fic?
Author Behavior Rules (What the authors themselves should and shouldn't do.)
1. Only the author may bump their thread when posting a new chapter.
  • Definition of "bump" also added to this rule.
2. Plagiarizing is not allowed (it's also illegal).
3. Post your fanfics on the forum.
  • i.e., Do not link to another site, rather than have the text of your story right here on PC.

Reviewer Behavior Rules (Same thing, only with reviewers.)
1. All reviews must be constructive.
  • Definition of "constructive."

Other Important Information (Guides, important threads, et cetera.)

1. Self-explanatory.

So no, I wasn't saying "ololol redo everything!" I knew we wanted to do something about the FFL, and I knew we were revamping a ton of threads, and I figured we'd need rules for those things before we could get to work on them. But as you said,

All of the rules concerning those should probably be contained within those threads.

That's the part I missed. I figured we'd work out all of the rules for the entire FF&W section here, and then also post them in their respective threads as necessary.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Here may be better than google docs imo for working on the rules - just in more plain site than anything and all.

Speaking of which...
Fanfiction and Writing Rules, Regulations, and Guidelines
Your friendly guide to posting in PFF&P

Welcome to Fanfiction and Writing, otherwise known as the section without another name. So you want to post and read fanfics? That's awesome! But first, it helps to have a working knowledge of what is allowed in this section. That's what this handy topic is for.

For now, use the Prefix selection when making a new thread, so that readers can know if your thread is a Pokémon story or an original story.
Intro seems fine to me...

The PokéCommunity Community Rules are in effect here. The rules that are followed without exception are as the ones listed below:

General Community Rules Followed in F&W

SPAM is not allowed.
Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages are posts with little relevance to a thread. Members are not allowed to create posts that are devoid of content or invaluable text.

Posts must have at least 25 characters and 4 words.
All posts are required to have 4 words. The community has a physical 25-character limit to each post. No exceptions are given to this rule, and no one is allowed to override the limit (no "*stupid character limit*", filler text or anything like that), except for in forums which have a description saying you can. The Diamond and Pearl Battling and Trade forums, for example, permit it.

TBH, would this come under spam? It'd be warrented if there are a lot of such posts though... but is there a lot oc character limit evasion going on, Astinus?

Everybody is to respect other people on the board.
Do not flame, bash or insult other people. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. Language in the forum must not be offensive to others - words such as "gay" when used in a derogatory manner must not be used. Do not press upon other members' religious beliefs.

Thread tags must be relevant.
Tags are meant to be a system of organizing threads by topic. People who give pointless, irrelevant, or inappropriate tags to threads may be infracted. No tags at all are better than tags that don't make sense.

As I said before this seems unnecessary as I don't believe this has ever been a problem with fics.

F&W rules

All fanfics must be readable.
Fanfics are best shared in a readable manner. This means that proper English grammar rules should be followed as best as possible. When you finish writing your chapter, take a day to let it rest before reading it over for typos and other mistakes. If you believe that you are not good at catching your own mistake, ask for a beta reader in the Beta Place.

Maybe an example or two of un-readable fics or ones that would get closed could be included (in spoilers so that they don't take up space unless clikced?) Would make it clearer what is allowed or not I feel...

Your first post of your fanfic thread must contain a part of your fanfic.
Do not use your first post for author notes only. Include either the first chapter or your prologue in your first post.

Do not post unfinished work.
If your chapter is not finished, then there is no need to post it. Use a word processing program to type your fic in so you can have all the time to work on it. An unfinished chapter/story will result in a closed thread.

Rate your fanfic properly, with proper warnings.
Rating your fanfic protects your readers. Your readers rely on warnings in your fanfic to make sure that they do not read anything they would not want to read. Two rating systems can apply here. Either the film ratings, or the literature ratings.

American Film Ratings: Wikipedia
British Film Ratings: Wikipedia
Literature Ratings: Guide

Any fics higher than R/18/M rating will be closed, and the author of the fic will be banned for providing the material.

Only the author may bump their thread when posting a new chapter.
If you are not the author, you may not bump the thread in question. For the author, it might take longer than a month to write a chapter. They are allowed to bump threads to only post their new chapter. Any other reason to bump their thread or anyone else bumping the thread will result in the thread being closed.

Plagiarizing is not allowed.
Do not steal another person's work and claim it as your own. If you are found to have done this, then a permanent four-point infraction is given to you.

Only well-written script fics are allowed.
Script fanfics are used sometimes by inexperienced writers because they see it as an easier way of writing. Unless your script fic is more than just dialogue, it will be closed. You may use script for your dialogue, but also include narration and description.

Could use maybe a slight expansion e.g. mention stage directions, etc? Maybe again examples in spoilers could be considered...

All reviews must be constructive.
When reviewing another person's fanfics, it must be constructive. When you read someone's fanfic, you should say something specific that you liked about it if there is something that you like. If you didn't like something about the fanfic, mention it specifically. There is a guide (linked farther down in the post) to reviewing that all reviewers in PFF&P should follow. Reviews that are not constructive will be deleted, and warnings/infractions will be handed out.

Maybe insert a link to a certain reviewing guide, or the guides and mention the reviewing one when it's done and all?

Post your fanfics on the forum.
When you wish to post your work on PC, it is better to post your chapters here than to link to another site. Reasons for this include the previous rule of "Your first post must contain part of your story", and the fact that some reviewers prefer reviewing fanfics on the forum. Also, this could technically count as advertising another site for unnecessary reasons.

Other Important Information

Various Guides to Writing and Reviewing
Basic Pokémon Writing FAQ v 1.0
Grammar Advice Thread
Reviewing and You
The Beta Place

Casual Threads
Fanfiction Lounge
Fanfiction Announcement Thread

Feel free to PM/VM the current moderator with any questions, concerns, or comments. These rules are subject to change at any time to meet the needs of the section and its members. All updates will be announced in the title of the thread.

Current moderator: Astinus [PM]

[/QUOTE]Comments in bold + red.

What are your thoughts on what should be in or not and what could use expansion/adding, everyone else? *purposefully prods everyone else*

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
THIS IDEA HAS BEEN DETERMINED TO FAIL.

Thread's closed so that maybe we can move on from this idea. It's over for this idea.

Edit: Yay for me ending two sentences with the same word! \o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back