• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Creative Writing 101 - Sign ups

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • Hello everyone! Today, I'm coming forward with an idea that I think would be really fun and educational at the same time. Not only for you, but for me as well.

I realize that a lot of people here like writing, but they're afraid to post their work, or they're afraid that their writing isn't good. In order to help, I'm going to try to do a creative writing class right here on PC. This may sound a little crazy, but hear me out.

Every Monday, (hopefully starting next week) I'll post a thread explaining a different point of writing. From writing believable dialogue, to showing v telling, I'll try my best to cover it all. If you have any questions about that lesson, there will be a discussion going on below in the comments, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. In addition to the thread, I will also be assigning "homework". Before you roll your eyes and go away, the homework will the optional. It's only meant for the people that have the free time to do it, and want the most out of this opportunity. Just submit the homework to me via PM, and I'll do my best to provide specific feedback on what you're doing. It won't take too long, so don't worry about it. So I do have some time to grade it, I will only be taking homework up until the Saturday of the week that the thread was posted. After that, I hold the right to refuse to work on it.

Don't worry, this is going to be a lot simpler than it seems. All threads will remain open for discussion, even after the thread for next week is posted. If you're already the world's greatest expert on plotting, you can skip the week where we cover plotting, and pick right back up the next week. If Sally completely forgets to look at this the first two weeks, then Sally can join in on the third week. If Billy decides that writing isn't really for him, then Billy can stop. Basically, the only things that will be on a schedule is me, and the homework. Other than that, you guys are free to jump around to the various threads and contribute to the discussions.

As currently planned, this will be a seven week class. We will cover a huge variety of topics every writer must face. The purpose of this thread is to gauge the interest level in something like this. You can post below any questions you may have, whether or not you would be interested in something like this, and if you would like to receive PM/VM notifications from me whenever a new thread is posted. Let me know what you think!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Yes, yes! Count me in! I'd like to learn to be a better writer so hopefully I'll be more confident about my work :3

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Oh, I guess that I should mention that this will be a back to basics course. So, this is angled more for new writers, but if you're an experienced writer and want to go back to the basics, then this is great for you!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Generic sign up post whee. At the very least I'll read discussions/say stuff, haha. We'll see what time allows.
    Just submit the homework to me via PM, and I'll do my best to provide specific feedback on what you're doing.
    Maybe homework could be submitted in the thread, so everyone can comment on it? Multiple opinions, discussion can arise from that too, etc.

Also, what sort of homework can one expect as well. I mean, I know already, but the members may not. ;p

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Maybe homework could be submitted in the thread, so everyone can comment on it? Multiple opinions, discussion can arise from that too, etc.

Also, what sort of homework can one expect as well. I mean, I know already, but the members may not. ;p
    The reason why it's just me looking at this homework is that a lot of people seem to want to write, but they're afraid to post their work publicly. So, having everyone look at their homework might be a little intimidating. If it's just me looking at their work, I hope to make it less stressful, especially if they're just starting out.

Alright, here's the skeleton of what this class is going to look like:
    Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Fair enough point there. Still, if I do any I might just post it in the thread too (probably in a spoiler) because I like opinions. :B

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Fair enough point there. Still, if I do any I might just post it in the thread too (probably in a spoiler) because I like opinions. :B

Yeah, that's always an option too. How about this? People who don't want to show their homework can just submit it to me, but if you're looking for more feedback, you can post it in the discussion below.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • I'd like to join this. It sounds pretty cool.......

Anyway, this is a nice opportunity to improve my writing.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I'm interested! I did take a creative writing class in highschool butwe were hardly taught and it was more just write a story around given theme and share it.

I might need a reminder too. So we can submit and also share if we want? Sounds good. I look forward to enhancing my writing! :)

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2023
    I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to make it the first week, but this definitely looks like something I'd love to take part in! Consider this a sign up!

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    This seems really cool, I'll join!

I might need reminding too, because I'm not good at using this strange machines people call memories.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm interested! I did take a creative writing class in highschool butwe were hardly taught and it was more just write a story around given theme and share it.
    Unfortunately, school never seems like a good place to learn about creative writing, so we're trying it here!

countrymo said:
    I might need a reminder too. So we can submit and also share if we want? Sounds good. I look forward to enhancing my writing! :)
    Mochika Rage said:
    I might need reminding too, because I'm not good at using this strange machines people call memories.
    Alrighty, I can send reminders out!

Yay, people are signing up! I'm so happy. :D

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'll join! I don't want to let an opportunity like this pass me by. :3

Oh, and I might need reminders too. I'm very forgetful and sometimes spacey. If something's not in my routine, it's usually easier for me to forget about it.

Back