• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do You Miss Quick Leveling?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    To clarify what I mean by this, I'm talking about taking any Pokémon, tacking on an Exp Share, and hunting shaking grass for the wild Audino to battle to quickly gain over 15,000 XP in one battle. Do you miss being able to level up excessively fast and getting right back into whatever you were doing, or are you happy with the spread out method of the all-Pokémon Exp Share instead and prefer that?

I actually forgot the Exp Share in Gen. V splits a preset experience and just took four Pokémon only to Lv.14. Have to pull three and try again. A little aggravating after all that breeding for importing; the only reason I'm training them is to then locally breed them in Kalos. :)

Years
  • I don't get it. In this gen you level up significantly quicker. Like I mean, after hour or two of grinding I was overleveled as hell. But seriously now, I don't miss that, the current is really enough. You can increase it with Poke-Amie, get Lucky Egg for free and you'll get 70% boost in total, also gen VI Exp. Share is just briliant. The system is way faster in this gen methinks.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I missed that method a bit, but thanks to the Exp. Share and some boosts from Pokémon-Amie, it makes me less dependent of that method.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I don't get it. In this gen you level up significantly quicker. Like I mean, after hour or two of grinding I was overleveled as hell. But seriously now, I don't miss that, the current is really enough. You can increase it with Poke-Amie, get Lucky Egg for free and you'll get 70% boost in total, also gen VI Exp. Share is just briliant. The system is way faster in this gen methinks.

I think the original poster is more thinking the leveling up from the 70 - 100 range. In game, wild Pokemon cap off at, what, level 60 or something? even with Lucky Egg, Pokemonamie and Exp O-Power I have to imagine that would still be pretty tedious to level up hundreds of pokemon using only level 60+ Pokemon

Years
  • I think the original poster is more thinking the leveling up from the 70 - 100 range. In game, wild Pokemon cap off at, what, level 60 or something? even with Lucky Egg, Pokemonamie and Exp O-Power I have to imagine that would still be pretty tedious to level up hundreds of pokemon using only level 60+ Pokemon

Then he should point it out. I'm thinking more in-game wise, not competitively, also leveling up Pokemon to 100 isn't really necessary if you'll get the wanted move and you can make level 50 restrictions in battle, but that's just only my opinion. Yet you still got me, grinding higher level Pokemon is much more tedious than it used to be.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Then he should point it out. I'm thinking more in-game wise, not competitively, also leveling up Pokemon to 100 isn't really necessary if you'll get the wanted move and you can make level 50 restrictions in battle, but that's just only my opinion. Yet you still got me, grinding higher level Pokemon is much more tedious than it used to be.
    I did mean the quick leveling when you battle something at a lower level, yes. I mentioned Audino as an example only because, of things found in the wild, it gave the biggest boost to a Lv.1 Pokémon, but the discussion is regarding the quick leveling up early on.

And I agree; with exception to Pokémon that evolve late, like Eelektross, Hydreigon, and Volcarona, there isn't much need to go to Lv.100. Even when battling Audino the amount of experience gained becomes minimal despite boosts being applied. There was no point going to Lv.100 in Unova; my Fly companion, Swanna, is in fact still only Lv.76 there when I checked in today. Frankly, I actually hunt down wild Audino if I import something to later breed, but do I in general miss that aspect? Only early on, but as noted, the Exp Share as it now operates allows you to level up everyone evenly anyway. That way you can easily train whatever you want to train into the 30s quickly (Restaurant Le Wow with some boosts - not all, I didn't use Amie - in three trips, takes even Larvitar to Lv.50 or thereabouts) and later battle them against the Battle Chateau with a Black Writ of Challenge in effect, giving you access to Lv.70-80 Pokémon on the highest leveled Trainers (Diantha being Lv.80). So it's a simpler process now than it ever was.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2014
    Fast leveling, deposit 2 pokemon of the same gender or different egg group to the day care (if you don't want an egg).
    Go to Lumiose city in the middle, hop on the bike and put a coin or carton under the left stick, make sure you don't hit any NPC's.
    Leave gamo on overnight and voila.
    In no time a lvl 100.
    Would take about at least 12 hours from lvl 1.
    If you're worried about losing moves you can get them back from the move reminder.

Years
  • Nope! Because I never did train on Audinos in the fifth generation games. :D; I know the experience was insane with that but X/Y still had pretty easy leveling with the new Exp. Share and restaurants in Lumiose+Battle Chateau so I won't complain. B/W and B/W2 made training a tad.. too easy.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I never really bothered with training Pokemon after post-game because I'm lazy. Also because I'm lazy did I never exert the effort to go and find wild Audino to train off of. That said, the way the EXP Share works on XY yields to my hate/laziness on grinding a lot better than BW throughout the game. I fact XY was the first time ever that I was actually over leveled for the Elite Four without even grinding very much because yea.

Years
  • I think we the new system it is a lot simpler to keep your party to an even level. No one is too over levelled and yet no one is under levelled. The only problem that I faced was if you do Wonder Trade then train that pokemon it will level at a faster rate than usual. By the end of the game my Serperior was higher levelled than my Greninja. Overall a lot easier though ^^

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I think we the new system it is a lot simpler to keep your party to an even level. No one is too over levelled and yet no one is under levelled. The only problem that I faced was if you do Wonder Trade then train that pokemon it will level at a faster rate than usual. By the end of the game my Serperior was higher levelled than my Greninja. Overall a lot easier though ^^
    The same effect can be applied by attaching a Lucky Egg to one of your own Pokémon. That said, Chansey with Lucky Eggs as a held item only appear in Safaris, so except for the one from Coumarine City, the only way to get a bunch is by trading for them (and who really needs that?).

Years
  • Yes, definitely. I remember going through White Treehollow in White 2 and having my weaker Pokémon gain levels for days, especially against breeders which would use Chansey's evolution line. Here it doesn't feel anywhere near as convenient, even with the Exp. Share. Although it is nice that everything participating gains full EXP, that i'll admit.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2014
    The same effect can be applied by attaching a Lucky Egg to one of your own Pokémon. That said, Chansey with Lucky Eggs as a held item only appear in Safaris, so except for the one from Coumarine City, the only way to get a bunch is by trading for them (and who really needs that?).

I have a chansey saffari but can't seem to find anyone else with one.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I have a chansey saffari but can't seem to find anyone else with one.
    Oh, that sucks. I wish you could visit your own Safari (I think Ditto Safari owners wish the same).

Well, best I can suggest is to check the X/Y Friend Code thread. There's a spreadsheet there with people listing all of their Safaris, and you can find Normal types with all of the different species there. :)

You can also have a friend stalk your Safari and trade you the Lucky Eggs found; I personally recommend they use a Compound Eyes Butterfree knowing the TM "Thief" to save time, remembering to empty hands of the Lucky Punch or Lucky Egg afterwards.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2014
    Oh, that sucks. I wish you could visit your own Safari (I think Ditto Safari owners wish the same).

Well, best I can suggest is to check the X/Y Friend Code thread. There's a spreadsheet there with people listing all of their Safaris, and you can find Normal types with all of the different species there. :)

You can also have a friend stalk your Safari and trade you the Lucky Eggs found; I personally recommend they use a Compound Eyes Butterfree knowing the TM "Thief" to save time, remembering to empty hands of the Lucky Punch or Lucky Egg afterwards.

I don't have any friends who play Pokemon.
    I use thief with my Talonflame for heart scales very useful move to use, don't have a compound eye pokemon though, but i breed a lot of pokemon so flame body is more useful for me.
    Will check the trade section today, thanks for the tip.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I miss it more than anything in this entire world. With the previous gen, it was little to no hassle at all and it made team building satisfyingly quick for me.

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    I really think that the new leveling system in gen 6 is faster than ever. Or, at least that's how it seems for me. I've been leveling pokemon so fast. With the exp o-power, exp share, and lucky egg, I just go right through either the Elite 4 or the Battle Chateau. I really like the new system, though.

Years
  • Never played BW, but have played most before and found the rate at which you level in XY ridiculously fast when you have a team of 6. The XY exp share makes it too easy to level in XY IMO.

Back