Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Ad Content
Closed Thread

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old March 21st, 2015 (5:14 PM). Edited December 19th, 2018 by Avara.
Author of Tales

Nature: Calm
Spoiler:
This is the first instalment of what I am hoping will become the "Ages Of Faith" series, made up of multiple short hacks which tell a very specific tale all together. Each would focus on a certain character and how their lives impacted the history of my custom regions. It's a bit like my take on a medieval Pokemon drama, but in playable form! AoF is set in a time when the power of religion was at an all time high. It contains (obviously) fictional religions that are not meant to represent real-life faiths in any way, even if some events are clearly inspired by real-life history or "biblical" events.

Due to the fact that the game is based on the actions of characters that will be referred to in my other projects, I can't go "changing the past" so to speak. This means the gameplay will honestly be very linear. The main character might do things you don't agree with and you won't be able to stop them. Winning a battle doesn't necessarily mean you'll win the war (literally). You don't get to make any major story decisions - you're not playing as you, you're playing as them and essentially just having to deal with being thrown into various situations. It's all about the plot.

A project that feels like a traditional Pokemon experience is definitely not what I'm going for here. I'm unsure what label to use, but I would describe it as more an "interactive novel" than a proper game. I mainly wanted to make this purely for myself, I know the likelihood is that very few people would be interested in it because of what it is, but for some reason I just can't put it down haha. Combining my love for writing dumb little stories and hacking, I suppose!

TLDR: If you dislike reading and cutscenes or don't care about story; this is absolutely not going to be your cup of tea and you should avoid playing it at all costs to save yourself a waste of time! Seriously. You'll HATE it. If you actually enjoy story focused games and feel like giving it a try, click the spoiler to view the thread!
//Under Construction
(old thread just keeping this for the screenshots/memories tbh)
Spoiler:

Hey, everyone! My name is Avara, and this is my second attempt at creating a hack! Its base is an English FireRed ROM.

This time around, I'm aiming to create a good short story viewed from the points of different characters and what happens to them, inspired by the lore in my previous game.
The idea was that these stories would be something like the "biblical" tales of the ancient heroes of the world I'm making for what I hope will be my hack series.

This is just a little project I've been working on for fun. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm happy with how it's turning out. Well, that's enough intro - onto the story!

PLEASE NOTE that this game contains mature themes which may not be suitable for players under a certain age.

Omens are all around, and war is inevitable as tensions fuelled by extremism rise in the East.
An unfortunate chain of events kickstarts the Crusades of Faith, and you can play through the stories of each of the following characters - how they came to be involved, and be in their shoes, as you make decisions about how to keep you and your people safe, while overcoming the obstacles in your way.
You'll be thrown into an epic conflict, a political dispute, a holy war. Whoever's history you choose to experience, you have no choice but to fight for your people, whether it be for liberation or triumph.

At the beginning of the game, you will be asked to choose a character to play as. For now, there are three characters, each with a tale to be told...

Prince Evandor is the son of King Ebrahim and Queen Adonia, and the sole heir to the throne of Izantine, a peaceful country famed for its mystical aura.

Princess Zhafira is the daughter of King Taurian and Queen Zoeya, and is second in line after her brother Rhyon to rule the Draconic Empire; which has conquered half of the whole world.

Kala is a slave to the High Master of the Chain Coast, who runs the world's harshest Ludus, and has been ever since she was a young child. Eventually, she escapes, freeing her fellow slaves and gladiators in the process, vowing to take her revenge on the Masters of the Coast for all the suffering they have caused.

The Finance Chamber

This feature allows you to build up points for rewards over time; you get 3 points per "year" in-game. Filling any of these six icons will bring you special privileges, such as collecting a payout from the bank, accessing higher-level Pokemon, better training opportunities or having the Merchants in your city stock better items!

My Alignment System

Those who played my (awful) first hack will remember the Alignment system I made back then, but for those of you who didn't: you could be one of three Alignments - Good, Neutral, or Evil. This was influenced by your in-game actions, and would affect the game in various ways.
This time, I've taken it up a notch as never seen before, inspired by my favourite TRUE rpgs. You can now have one of NINE Alignments! Want to play as a good person with a rebellious streak? A faith-devout villain? A level-headed bystander? The choice is yours!

The Strategy Map

This is an interactive in-game world map! You can move the cursor around and click on location icons to gain more information about each area. You'll be using it a lot in the Council Chambers to make travel plans, battle strategies and decisions on who to talk terms with!

• The game takes place in a medieval, Middle Eastern setting, with fresh new custom-made OWs, sprites and graphics to match.
  • In-game choices determine your Influence with people; a hidden score with certain characters. They will remember how you behave with them!
  • No Pokedex, Pokeballs or PC; as this is set in a time electricity didn't even exist, let alone technology!
  • Pokemon Centers have been replaced with holy temples of several different Gods. Holding a Charm for that religion will allow you to pray in its God's places of worship.
  • A HM-free zone! There are items available to cover some of their functions, but even these aren't necessary to complete the game.
  • Ridable Pokemon replace the Bike(still working on this!). Roam through the desert on the back of a Salamence, or charge into battle on Bastiodon!
  • The unlockable Extension item exclusive to Ages Of Faith; which allows you to carry a party of 12 instead of 6!
  • Several custom items to replace the standard ones we've all gotten used to, complete with their own images and descriptions. No "?"s here! =P
  • Up-to-date battle engine with Physical/Special Split and 4th+ Gen moves, thanks to MrDollSteak and the creators of the rom base.

Hack Of The Month
- August 2015

Evandor's Tale

Zhafira's Tale

Kala's Tale

Here is a list of glitches I am well aware of in-game. If you encounter a bug that is not on this list, please let me know! If you comment with a glitch that is already listed here your comment will be ignored, not to be rude, but for my own sanity =P

Spoiler:
- There is no titlescreen as I don't know how to edit this. Yet!
- 4thgen+ cries are not inserted as I don't know how to do this. Yet!
- I have no custom music, since yep, you guessed it... I don't know how to add this. Yet!
- The Journal items are not usable; this is because I want to get the final dialog for them completely finalized and everything with Alignment evened out before I script anything.
- Zhafira & Omar's cutscene at the Azar borders ends with a circular Flash-view - although unintentional I think it looks cute =P
- When viewing the map in a certain Council Chamber, you're not actually shown the map at all. This is because it's not finished yet; I'd rather add the full, final world map when I consider it perfect later, than add how I think I want it to look now just to change things down the line and confuse everyone about the geography.
- Same when a certain someone asks you to help with Crown Finances. I am testing this feature on a seperate ROM and there are still a few things I need to iron out.

If there is anyone I have forgotten or if you feel like you/someone else should be mentioned, please let me know!
Please note that the vast majority of indoor tiles and about 50% of outdoor tiles in the game, 100% of the OWs/ sprites were created by me and it was a LOT of work which I regardless loved to make. If you want to use any of my content, please ask me first!

Spoiler:

Special thanks to Nex for creating the game's titlescreen!
The custom music you hear in game is made up of remixes by me of existing GBA games, until I learn to compose my own music from scratch.
This list also extends to the creators of all the tools I use in my hacking setup:

- Advance Map 1.92
- XSE
- IrfanView
- GIMP2
- Nameless Sprite Editor
- Unnamed Trainer Editor
- APE
- HxD

MrDollSteak's Rom Base was used, the credits for which are listed here:

Decapitalisation - MrDollSteak
Pokedex Glitch Fix - Hackmew
Physical/Special/Status Split - Doesntknowhowtoplay
PSS Icons - Darthatron
Extended Move Table - Jambo51, Itman
Extended Move Effect Table - Jambo51, Itman
Extended Move Background Table - Chaos Rush, Tajaros
Extended Soundproof Table - Kurapika
New Moves - Contributors to '4th&5th Gen. Move Resources', MrDollSteak, Jambo51, Kurapika, Chaos Rush
New Movesets - MrDollSteak
Extended Ability Table - MrDollSteak
New Abilities - Doesn'tknowhowtoplay, Kurapika, Karatekid552, Jambo51 and MrDollSteak
Fairy-Type - MrDollSteak
New Items - Doesn'tknowhowtoplay, MrDollSteak

Additional Credits:

Jambo51, FBI Agent, HackMew, ep!c, DoesntKnowHowToPlay, Darthatron - For various amazing ASM routines
Kagenosensei, Rafa, Zein, WesleyFG, ThatsSoWitty, Silver, Phyromatical, Kyledove, alexmad27, hek, thegreatblaid, Magiscarf, chaoticcherrycake, Alucus - For all the gorgeous tiles of theirs that I used
RedKnightx - His Raikou/Entei/Suicune sprites that I used to make tiles in Kala's stronghold
DreamOrDestruction - For thinking of the name "Mirage Of Tales" which was way better than anything I could've come up with
Xanathos, AnimeOverlord, Lady Prixy, Lucra, Nex, DJTiki, Infernal Desires, dhogan, cacelyn, SirBlastoise, ButteryButters, dwsquirtle, DoYouKnowHowToPokemon, and so many more - For being awesome

Spoiler:
Q: What are the "starters"?
A: Starter Pokemon work very differently in the Ages Of Faith; given that the obtaining of Pokemon itself has been overhauled. Each character obtains a different first Pokemon, and certain other Pokemon are obtained in the same way.

Q: Why is the music all over the place?
A: I haven't learned how to insert music yet, but I have awesome soundtrack plans.

Q: Why is the first cut-scene so long?
A: It's supposed to set the scene for the kind of world the characters live in and beliefs they have.

Q: If there are no Pokeballs, how are we supposed to catch Pokemon?
A: You don't. The main way to obtain a new Pokemon is through a major side-quest throughout the game, the Stable System - where you must complete tasks to "unlock" the desired Pokemon.
Of course, you can also get new Pokemon in other ways like through events, gifts or sales.

Q: Will you be implementing [x] feature?
A: As far as planned features and things go, if you don't see it on this thread it will not be included.
The reason for this is because im already very happy with how I have planned things for the game.

Q: Why do I get healed after some battles?
A: You get healed automatically after practise battles within your own military, because as these are meant for training purposes only you're able to lose to these battles without having to start over.

Q: Why can't we nickname our Pokemon?
A: I seem to have screwed something up in the nicknaming routine, as when the player selected "Yes" to nicknames the game would just freeze. Since I dont know how to fix it, I think its better to leave nicknaming out.

Q: When's the release date for Beta X?
A: It'll be ready when it's ready.

Q: Can I be a beta tester?
A: I am not taking any beta testers; for now I am testing the ROM myself. The reason for this is because I have sent previews of the game for testing to people who just never got around to getting back to me -.- I feel as if most of the people who put themselves forward as "beta testers" just want to play the game and not actually report bugs which defeats the purpose.

*semi spoilers ahead*

Spoiler:
Evandor's Tale

Prologue:
King Ebrahim of Izantine suffers an invaluable loss.
Prince Evandor prepares for an exciting future.
A relic is discovered on Atlantine shores in Havabora.

Chapter I:
Conflict arises in Izantine.
Evandor unites the country.
The Abram family suffers a shock.

Kala's Tale

Prologue:
The Masters of the Coast gather to exchange slaves.
Kala inspires the gladiators of Khraaz-dum's Ludus.
A new fighter robs Bacchus the Champion of his title.

Chapter I:
A legend is born.
Kala makes friends and enemies.
Premonitions are foretold.

Zhafira's Tale

Prologue:
The Empire's King sets his sights on faraway land.
Princess Zhafira is forced into a difficult situation.
A religious figure becomes Warlord of Lyth Draenor.

Chapter I:
Rhyon sets his own goals.
Zhafira marries into a prominent Eastern family.
Rhydian is betrayed.

~

~ Avara
  #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old March 21st, 2015 (5:53 PM).

This is nicely refreshing! I actually love how you are bringing back standards from "classic RPGs", such as royalty, medieval setting, etc... Your tilesets are also pretty unique which is rather pleasant :D
    Overall, you seem to have quite a lot of ambition! Good luck with that!

#3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old March 21st, 2015 (6:23 PM).
    idek

Nature: Quiet
      AMAZING. I'll play the first beta immediately when it is released. I love the story, features, and... just amazing. Good luck! :)
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old March 21st, 2015 (8:16 PM).

Loved your first hack, hope this one goes more smoothly for you. Really looking forward to it.
          #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old March 21st, 2015 (9:14 PM).

Ah, finally you posted this here! G'luck, avaramoon! =)
          #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old March 21st, 2015 (9:58 PM).
        JET DINO, YEAH

Nature: Quirky
          New Mirage of Tales hack?

I loved the last one, so this one's sure to be good. It certainly looks good!

#7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old March 21st, 2015 (11:35 PM).

Heck yeah. A new MOT hack is coming! I'm so happy you've decided to come back to the hacking scene! Anyways good luck with the hack and I'll be sure to look out for that beta. :)

"Memories warm you up from
            the inside."
              #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old March 22nd, 2015 (9:18 AM).

mirage of tales is back with a new story??? oh ya
                #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old March 22nd, 2015 (12:40 PM).

So excited For an new MOT hack i loved the first one and the Choice system made it feel like more of an rpg i play when im waiting for more pokemon. also know you have my full support because you are great at this

"They never allow prey to escape. Their jaws are so powerful, they can crush the body of an automobile."

Straight forum the UndergroundMelodyNagi
                  #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old March 22nd, 2015 (3:09 PM).
                Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Naive
                  Alright! A new hack by Avaramoon! Good luck with this one, Avara!

I also support Pokemon Liquid Crystal, Glazed, and a few others who either have large banners or none at all.
                  I'm often not on, but when I am, I show my support in likes :-D
                  School is back in session. Time to stress out and disappear (even more so than before).
                    #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old March 22nd, 2015 (3:25 PM).
                  ふゆかい

I see you got it posted here eh? I've watched your other hack since. But now here's the new, well.. I'll call it new since you just posted it but not that blah. Honestly, I love the idea. Making a hack that base on your interest and making it possible just look at it go! Medieval time setting is pretty interesting as well. It's like back-to-school again. Aside Pokemon, have you gotten some of the names related to real life king and queens? I wanna know more. Well, good luck on this!

Can't wait to ride this lizard dragon and walk

#12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old March 22nd, 2015 (3:43 PM).
                    Squirtle Squad aint got nothing on my crew

Nature: Lax
                      If you are looking for a beta tester I am willing and have the free time to test it for any glitches.
                        #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old March 23rd, 2015 (3:26 AM).
                      Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD

Nature: Lax
                        Oh, You're back, Avara? :) Woohoo
                        I Really enjoyed your last Hack,
                        Looks like i will Enjoy This one even more:D

Good Luck
                        Pokemon - Dark Rising Series - DarkRisingGirl
                        Pokemon - Glazed - redriders180
                        Pokemon - Normal Version - FrozenInfernoZX
                        Pokémon - Mirage Of Tales: A New Age Dawns - Avaramoon
                        Pokemon - Z Version - Rezordaxx
                        Pokemon - The Leola Project - Winter Wonderland
                        Pokemon - Platinum Red - gogojjtech
                        Pokemon - Hero's Path (Remake) - Veng3anc3
                        Pokemon - Daydream White Version - SK3
                        Pokemon - Black 'n White (Demake) - ~G0LD!
                        And Many More
                          #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old March 25th, 2015 (3:09 AM).

i wanna be a beta tester
                            #15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old March 29th, 2015 (7:28 PM).

Nature: Brave
                            This looks really cool. The themes and everything are all really interesting. I love the riding pokemon feature.

I'm also interested in beta testing, if you don't mind.

btw, the html needs a finishing thing for the Georgia font in your post.

Proud Member of Team Orb
                              #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old March 30th, 2015 (7:55 AM).

why do we get salamence for riding why not Noivernm?
                                #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old March 30th, 2015 (6:26 PM).
                              Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid

Nature: Bold
                              Yesssssssssssssss I love the way this hack looks. Good luck, I can't wait to try it out! I love the theme and the screens. Great job from what I've seen.
                                #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old April 3rd, 2015 (1:47 PM).
                              Recently Revived Zombie

Nature: Relaxed
                              The hack looks very nice from what I can see so far, I'm liking the monarchy aspects with the king and queen, and prince and princess. The theme overall with the monarchy and religion playing a part in the world feels, I suppose Arthurian in nature. The tiles look nice and fit pretty well and nothing I can see at first glance to nitpick about so all good as of now. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to try this when it comes out.
                                #19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old April 3rd, 2015 (3:13 PM).

This looks really good and can't wait to play it, also I really like that medieval theme something you don't usually see.
                                  #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old April 4th, 2015 (11:51 PM).
                                Squirtle Lord

Nature: Lonely
                                  Cool, I played the last Mirage of Tales and it was awesome!
                                  I hope this one will give me the same feeling I had with the last one.
                                    #21   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                  Old April 5th, 2015 (7:27 AM).

Your back?! sweet dude i can't wait to try this out this game is different in many ways!
                                      #22   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old April 5th, 2015 (11:26 AM).
                                    Author of Tales

Thanks a lot for the support guys! It means a lot to me =) I wouldnt expect to see any kind of release soon, unfortunately I had to wipe my computer to get rid of viruses and so I lost alllllll my hacking stufff... Plus, i have lots of stuff going on in life atm so hacking is pretty low on my list of priorities for now, but you'll see something eventually =P. Im going to be working on only one story at a time until complete, so Beta 1 will be the complete story of the male character, Beta 2 will have the full female story, etc, but like I said that's in the far future lol. Thanks again!
                                      #23   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                    Old April 5th, 2015 (11:41 AM).
                                    Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Naive
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by avaramoon View Post
                                      Thanks a lot for the support guys! It means a lot to me =) I wouldnt expect to see any kind of release soon, unfortunately I had to wipe my computer to get rid of viruses and so I lost alllllll my hacking stufff... Plus, i have lots of stuff going on in life atm so hacking is pretty low on my list of priorities for now, but you'll see something eventually =P. Im going to be working on only one story at a time until complete, so Beta 1 will be the complete story of the male character, Beta 2 will have the full female story, etc, but like I said that's in the far future lol. Thanks again!
                                      Hey, no worries. We all have something to do in our lives that doesn't revolve around hacking. You do what you gotta do, and it'll all be good.

I also support Pokemon Liquid Crystal, Glazed, and a few others who either have large banners or none at all.
                                      I'm often not on, but when I am, I show my support in likes :-D
                                      School is back in session. Time to stress out and disappear (even more so than before).
                                        #24   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                      Old April 5th, 2015 (5:45 PM).

Glad another MOT is back looks good so far. I'd be interested in beta testing btw.
                                          #25   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                        Old April 6th, 2015 (3:07 PM).
                                        The Heart and Soul of Fire

This game looks cool. And glad to see Mirage Of Tales is back. Loved the first game. Anyways, can't wait to see this game when it is released. :)
                                          Closed Thread

Quick Reply