• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Mechanics

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Roleplays have different forms they appear in. Some can be really free form, but they also can be very heavy mechanic-wise. Tabletop roleplaying follows similar systems where storytelling by the players is heavily affected by affected by mechanics. RPGs use game mechanics to affect how the player can interact with the world, such as inventory space. These elements can be incorporated in the text roleplays too. Look at Outbreak, a roleplay that ran a while back and used an inventory system where players had defined loot after missions. How do you like these more gameplay-like mechanics in a roleplay? Maybe there's a game you want to adapt into a roleplay and are trying to figure out how to adapt the gameplay mechanics? What are some good mechanics to use?

Years
  • I generally don't like to have too much in an RP as far as mechanics go. I think that Gunpowder is my most mechanic-based RP to date and even then I've really only added enough to give players a sense of comparison between characters and to keep balance.

Interestingly though, I really loved the way that Outbreak's mechanics added a sense of realism in the gritty game.

Years
  • I think its easier to do a roleplay with fewer mechanics, it just flows better with a story and not having to worry about mechanics getting in the way. Just stories with few mechanics tend to work better and be generally more successful and longer lasting.

That being said, I actually love roleplays that are more heavy on mechanics as they can result in some very interesting situations. It has to be carefully done, especially since players can abuse mechanics in ways the GM doesn't expect.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I try to avoid mechanic-heavy roleplays. I prefer the writing aspect of roleplaying. Things like statistics and memorization of very specific rules... In that case, I'd just go play a videogame!

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • For me the more of a sandbox the better.

Just like in video games I hate any kind of mechanic where your have to worry about a bar representing hunger or stamina or having to sleep or anything. They're nothing more than a limiter on player freedom and I will not join any RP that has mechanics like that except in very specific occasions.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I do enjoy my creative freedom that comes with sandbox, but I also really like more mechanics based that allows me to see exactly what the limits are of myself and the others around me. Outbreak did that pretty well and i cant wait for season 2 but it's obviously not the most popular system. I do think in the next rp that I create I'll have a stat sheet type thing along with a lax leveling system. That is, when and if I do create another rp.

Back