• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • + Krieg with his rather unusual skill trees is definitely up my alley. I love how "weird" his skill trees are, which is again, a nice touch in Borderlands 2 compared to that of BL1. And he's also the ultimate melee character with the right build, so thats' something that I can have a lot of fun playing as.

+ Well murdergoons and gals, its almost time for the really big day, and I think i have enough money to get my copy of DOOM in a box. I guess they never went with the supposed alternative boxart that they planned out when people said that the original DOOM 4 Boxart was pretty bad, but judging from all of the promotional materials, we are going to have the Doomguy with his Shotgun over a plain ole Yellow-ish with black smudges background. Which is alright i suppose. I mean, my current avatar is just the mugshot of that Very Boxart anyway.

+ Also, i just played some Iron Grip Warlord. I regret not having played this game before. Oh my god. The mix of FPS (and that ID Tech 3 aka Quake 3 engine) and Tower Defense is absurdly fun, but for some reason its not even in the store other than the free Demo. Oh well.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • The Doom cover is so lame. It's exactly the same as Wolfenstein: The New Order. I am getting tired of the "guy holding gun" cover arts that are so common these days on shooters. Do something more creative! Like recreating the original Doom art or something. I guess that would be less creative but it would be more interesting at least.

Also, Final Fantasy X/X-2 is on Steam now, yay finally!

Sir Codin

And now...the tale of my last moments of my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3

I had fought through hell and back on mostly my lonesome. I summoned one man to aid me with Pontiff Sulyvhan and Yhorm the Giant (the later turns out was piss-easy with Storm Ruler). I had fought and failed countless times before I prevailed against the Nameless King on my own (see my Carchar Odin youtube for a recording of that). Lothric and Lorian gave me a hard time, but that was because of lack of coffee and distractions.

After fighting through the game, I had at last come to the Kiln of the First Flame. My first two times against the Soul of Cinder was in vain, but the third time was certainly the charm and a close charm at that. The fight started out with SoC using his weapon like an ultragreatsword. Since I use a Zweihander, we were on even footing. He got the better of me a couple times, but I still forced him to then utilize polearm techniques. Those threw me for a loop, but thankfully my slight roll invincibility thanks to the Carthus Milkring saved my ass several times. He then tried miracles, first failing a shockwave, then tried to heal before I stunlocked him with my Zweihander charge of "FUUUCK THAT ****"

He then tried sorcery. He only got off one spell, a Soul Greatsword, that I dodged before I dropped his first-stage HP to zero. He then stuck his blade in the ground, caused an explosion, got back his health, then the music and his moveset set in stone the last Soul of a Lord of Cinder he summoned to try and stop me.

Gwyn.

I summoned every bit of my reflexes and Estus uses to stay barely on top of him with his wicked fast combos. I didn't even try parrying the guy. Not only were the parry mechanics of the game no quite as instantaneous as DS1 (but still better than DS2), but even in DS1 I could never parry Gwyn that well. So I focused on dodging.

We were both at a sliver of health left. I had no more Estus uses. It was all or nothing. After I dodged a shockwave, I charged in for the penultimate blow. Then I rolled back as many times as I could to dodge his flurry of blows. We then swung at each other at nearly the same time. His swing was pretty telegraphed, but so was mine due to me using an Ultra Greatsword.

But I started my swing a split second sooner.

The fight was over. I had won.

And that....is the tale of how I finally, after a full month, had beat Dark Souls 3 for the first time.

Video might come soon. I recorded it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • The Doom cover is so lame. It's exactly the same as Wolfenstein: The New Order. I am getting tired of the "guy holding gun" cover arts that are so common these days on shooters. Do something more creative! Like recreating the original Doom art or something. I guess that would be less creative but it would be more interesting at least.

Also, Final Fantasy X/X-2 is on Steam now, yay finally!

FFX, X-2 on steam... well, at least i have them on my PS Triple.

How about a guy holding lots of guns, while having a really cute girl wrapped around him, along with the background full of dead, massacred, super-murdered bodies who totally got bodied like fools? (Inb4that'stotallythebestBoxarteverXinPlSDOITFORGREATJUSTICE!)

Back to the Grind(stone)
    VS
    Back to the Grind(stone)

I remember posting about how bad the Doom 4 boxart a few pages/months ago. I was quite triggered. I'm still quite triggered that they never went with the planned alternate boxart (which was the recreation of the original Doom 1 cover)

Back to the Grind(stone)

What happened to this one? This one could have been the best thing since the Classic Doom 1 Boxart. Although looking at it more constructively, this re-creation of the classic boxart has too much bright and orange areas in the image compared to the original one (pictured above) which had some rather beautiful shading and shadow highlights. Then again, I would still say that the Doomguy has never looked any better. I always thought that his manly midrift baring armor from his original artwork was the only thing that was making him look not as cool as I want him to be. At least by Doom4, he now has much more proper looking armor, and his 3D Model is absolutely gorgeous (and absolutely no homo on saying that, then again, everyone else wants to ride on the Doomguy's BFG, if you all know what i mean) also inb4theMasterChiefReferences.

Sigh, i remember the importance of good boxart, especially if you were living at an earlier age.

Then again, Doom4 Doomguy's face can be seen on his Doom4 Boxart, which takes a little bit of looking carefully. He does look like his fore father.

OH AND another then again, because I'm cool that way: How about this one? Does anyone remember the PSX cousin of the Doomguy?
    Back to the Grind(stone)

Maybe i should have used this picture on the "APPROPRIATE THREAD" banner instead of Doom64, but Doom 64 is such a great game that it deserved its place on said banner :)))

OH MAN I sure wanted to play as John McClaine of Die Hard against the Demons of Mars.. and yes, i remember getting the PSX Doom when i had Die Hard Trilogy back in the day, and the first thing i thought about PSX Doomguy was John McClaine.. Don't even try asking me about it though. YIPPE KA YAY!

Speaking of moar boxarts:
    We actually have a REALLY OLD thread about it over here:

AND MORE BOXARTS. And did someone mention Soldiers in their boxart? You tired of "Guy with a gun, and holding it with a plain background" HOW ABOUT....

Well some Magna Carta and some Deus Ex
    Back to the Grind(stone)
    Back to the Grind(stone)

Oh yeah, dat Magna Carta boxart, and artwork. I got suckered into getting this game only for me to give up on it because i didn't like how it played D: But then, all of the dang artwork was still there, and it was definitely worth more than the game.

Whoever made The Deux Ex boxart, you are mah hero. At least Square-Enix knew what to do when it came to approving of boxarts. Bethesda take notes plz.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Hyung-tae Kim has a very...distinct art style; that was what drew me to the original Magna Carta as well...christ, that game was atrocious. The second game was one of the better 360 exclusive JRPGs though; it was mired in so many cliches you couldn't guess which one was coming next, making for a surprisingly good story. Great battle system too, and much more engaging than the likes of Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey. I almost miss it. Almost.

Outside of that, though, I've never paid much attention to game boxart. If I want to judge a game before I play it, I'll download the soundtrack. I've probably bought just as many games based on their OST as I have on their gameplay or the developer.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Xin, the alternate box art, from what I understand, is a reversable thing. So you should be able to take the sleeve out ant flip the cover so it has another design. However, it was voted on and the one you linked there did not win from what I can tell, the one I showed in the Doom thread did however, and honestly is probably better looking. Even though I love that one too.

Sir Codin

I was tempted to buy Magna Carta because boobs.

Good thing I was a early-teenager with no job when it came out or else I might have been raging.

pkmin3033

Speaking of PS2 games...Wild Arms 3 will be out on PS4 next week. Anyone who has a PS4 and hasn't played this owes it to themselves to play it if they're a fan of JRPGs, it's one of the better ones.

PS2 re-releases have dwindled quite a bit since their announcement...and there are still so many good ones left to do. Including FFXII, Drakengard, Star Ocean 3 (I suppose), etc...

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Back to the Grind(stone)

Well i need to get to my video game store tomorrow for my physical copy of "I already know XD". Traffic and scheduling wasn't on my side today. So i leave myself a screenie of me playing a Doom 4 weapons mod on good ole Doom. And yes, the Doom 4 Supershotgun sound is just as alluring and as punchy.

AND time to share my heroes' contribution to the society of mankind

(Spoilar btw so unless you're okay with seeing the first 20 mins of the game)

Okay, so I'm burning out of control, so to balance my dcc post out:
    Back to the Grind(stone)

Is it me or is Reith's legs in this illustration so large that they are just as attractive as her cute lil smile? OH THOSE LEGS. THEY ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS HUGE BO... BOOTS!

(and yes, I praise myself for remembering her. Reith.. that's a cute name. I swear. It sounds like "Wraith" but its not. And i'm pretty sure the ladies in VG love Calintz manly hip-leg skin? Oh I'm pretty sure they do ;))

Hyung Tae Kim.. You'll be forever one of my heroes.

Wild Arms... oh those good ole games. Those along with Suikoden where my great alternatives to all the squaresoft-enix games. And Parasite Eve, even though that's a squaresoft game, PE was still a beast.

pkmin3033

I've decided to hold off on Doom for the moment - no funds and no time to play it, haha. Let me know how the single player campaign is~

My copy of MegaTagmension Blanc arrived today, though...I am going to make an effort to actually play it, rather than let it sit on my backlog for an eternity like most of my games these days. I've been getting urges to replay the Re;Birth titles recently, so maybe this will satisfy my sudden Nep cravings.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • We should be talking Doom in the Doom thread lmao!

So far I am definitely enjoying the campaign. I only played the first two missions so far but it's pretty much exactly what I expected: a fusion of old and new. The lack of weapon reloading is hard to get used to but on the whole a fun feature. Someone go post in that thread so I don't double post.

pkmin3033

We should...but I don't own it so I wouldn't feel right posting in the thread at random and breaking up the conversation =P

I've never liked reloading my weapons anyway...that's usually when enemies take the opportunity to shoot at you. I suppose that's what cover is for, but if you have to keep ducking every few seconds to reload you don't feel particularly invincible.

...and yes, my attitude to cover made my Insanity playthroughs on Mass Effect 2 and 3 an absolute nightmare sometimes. xD

Sir Codin

I'm going to hold off on DOOM 4 until I upgrade my PC because playing DOOM on anything other than PC is like having sex with your sister.

You just never EVER do it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm going to hold off on DOOM 4 until I upgrade my PC because playing DOOM on anything other than PC is like having sex with your sister.

Inb4weallgetMachoslappedfornotkeepingthingsPG

Well, unfortunately for those unlucky customers who i also wanted to buy Doom 4 on PC, they couldn't, since I bought the last copy on the current stock. Unlucky souls. I saw some kids with their dads feel salty when they saw me get the last copy from the store. oohohohohohoho

And speaking of Color palettes:
    Back to the Grind(stone)
    Back to the Grind(stone)

LOOK AT EM FLEX! OH YEAH!!! YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!! WHO'S THE MEN AND A HALF? THEY ARE THE MEN AND A HALF!! THEY HAVE A HAND FULL OF FLEX, and a head full of... well.. we already know.

Is it me or does the Doomguy and the Soulsguy (i do not care if he actually has a given name. I'd call him the SoulsGuy regardless) are a tag team made to destroy hell and Ultrasatan? Rock n Sock? Degeneration-X? YRP of FFX2? The Shield?, Wyatt Family? Undertaker and Kane? HELL NO! They ain't nothing to the "GUYS"! HOW ABOUT DOOM AND SOULS!? Both guys love to rip and tear demons' weeners off with their bare hands, both wield billions of weapons, run around, bathe in the blood of demons, do some glorious sweet delicious ultraviolent glory kills, and score all the ladies left and right? And both of them are (un)fortunate enough to have a boxart that only features themselves in their respective game?

Then again, I'm not sure if Soulsguy has any given personality. Doomguy obviously is your classic 90's hero silent protag who's up to the people to give him a personality. Inb4IgetCarCharSlappedfornotplayingDarkSouls while Hestia watches and grins...

you don't call May for nothing. May really is putting the "May" in MAYHEM..

Super Hot (SUPER HOT SUPER HOT!)
    Battleborn
    DOOM
    Overwatch
    Homefront: The Revolution
    Paladins

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I'm going to hold off on DOOM 4 until I upgrade my PC because playing DOOM on anything other than PC is like having sex with your sister.

Back to the Grind(stone)

Aaaaaaanywhos. I actually saw Doom on sale in Tesco today...which was vaguely surprising, as they typically keep their games below 18. I suppose there is no distinction to be made with AAA titles, though. This is partially why I feel comfortable waiting for them to drop in price...they're freakin' everywhere.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Finally have all the songs from Horizon XS in my .mp3 library. Took a while to buy them all, as I was buying other music too, but it's finally done.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I dunno if i should say something but what's with indie game devs always having this sort of mantra against "Mainstream and AAA titles". I just played some Hero Siege because i bought it for ultra cheap, 90% Sale thanks to lord gaben. I completed the base difficulty level in less than a few minutes because of me playing an ultra overpowered class (REDNECK + CHAINSAW = THE GREAT COMMUNICATOR) and i was like, looking at the credits, the group introduces themselves after the credits and tells their typical "Please support us and our fight against the mainstream and AAA games"... srsly indie devs.

But i guess if you go indie, that's probably your big concern really.
    Ok i dunno what the f i'm talking about. but here's a screenie from Hero Siege:
    Back to the Grind(stone)

I named by Redneck guy "The Great Communicator" (DGr8Commictr) because he's using a chainsaw. And i always wanted to play as a redneck in an action game that involves killing monsters and demons. I mean Redneck Rampage was an awesome game but yeah...

the game is rather short, especially if you use this class. So you have 7 MORE DIFFICULTY LEVELS to challenge against :))) but its fun as hell. Worth the 90% discount btw.

Sir Codin

LOOK AT US, WE'RE SO COOL AND COUNTER-CULTURE. No one cares.

Just like how the attitude of r/pcmasterrace turns people off from PC-gaming, so too does the attitude of "mainstream AAA is bullshit" indie-gamer attitude turn me off from indie games. Not to mention indie games in general tend to have this overbearing cloud of pretentiousness, especially the social justice and deep philosophical ones.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Vocal minorities are so much fun, aren't they? It's difficult to be objective when you have so many people screaming such an unpalatable opinion in your face all the time; I have no problem admitting that my dislike of and aversion towards certain things is due in no small part of the toxicity of the fandom.

I suppose the lesson is to just play what you want to play and damn whatever anyone else says, but they don't exactly make that easy sometimes, do they? Welcome to the internet. Leave your free will next to your shoes at the door, and touch nothing but the lamp.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Indie Devs tend to be hipsters.

LOOK AT US, WE'RE SO COOL AND COUNTER-CULTURE. No one cares.

Just like how the attitude of r/pcmasterrace turns people off from PC-gaming, so too does the attitude of "mainstream AAA is bullshit" indie-gamer attitude turn me off from indie games. Not to mention indie games in general tend to have this overbearing cloud of pretentiousness, especially the social justice and deep philosophical ones.
    I could see that if this were 2012 and the indie revolution was just starting. These days the indie dev hardly has the prestige nor the platform to be that pretentious. And (at least if you're a PC gamer, as indie games are far less...labeled, shall we say, due to the sheer number of them), even if you are a pretentious dev the likes of, say, Phil Fish, that you have the volume that people would really care is pretty unlikely because you're a standard dev among literally thousands.

So yeah, I'd say that's pretty dated at this point. Being indie really isn't even all that much of a label anymore- which I'm glad, took us long enough. It's certainly not a small enough field that indie devs can afford to be pretentious unless they make it big, and if you look at recent successes, such as FNAF or Undertale, their creators have been pretty chill, among others. Probably because when your project is your name and you play the asshole, people stop looking at both.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back