• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I'm tempted to pick up Doom next week, but as someone who would never play the multiplayer I'm not sure it's worth it. The majority of FPS these days half-arse their single-player campaign and pump everything into the online mode. Which isn't a bad thing...unless you're someone like me who generally avoids PvP.

...I also have too much else to be playing really, and the following week I'm spending a lot of money on two special editions of Fire Emblem >.>

Doom is all about the single player campaign. In my mind, Doom is really best enjoyed as an immersive experience of being that lone Space Marine with the 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badass just shooting demons on Mars, Earth, and even Hell itself while smashing their faces in with some delicious, sweet, and euphoric unmerciful savagery. So rip and tear, satisfy your thirst for supermurder. And while you wait for DOOM 4, I highly recommend Brutal Doom as your appetizer, and the best part, you don't need a killer rig to play Brutal Doom. All you need is a sourceport like ZDoom or GZDoom, the IWAD Files of Doom 1 and 2 (basically the very file that contains the whole game), then download Brutal Doom at Mod DB, and just follow all necessary instructions :3

Of course I am more than welcome to help ANYONE and EVERYONE on how to play Doom with these sourceports has i am very knowledgable on that field (and you can ask why :3)

Am i the bestest consultant for quenching VG's thirst for some crimson colored and meat filled goodness? Ya'll know you'd want me to consult :)))))

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Well, if the single player experience is properly fleshed out (haha, see what I did there?) I may very well get it when it comes down in price...the wonderful thing about AAA titles is that I never need to worry about not being able to find them for a decent price after a few months. I'll keep it on my radar, as I vaguely remember playing Doom as a kid, but it's not a priority for me or anything right now.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    So far Doom's single player has been played up as pretty challenging (even though all their footage is played by pros of the game so it actually comes off looking easy) and it seems pretty fleshed out honestly. Not to mention with Snapmap there will be people creating custom maps and survival scenarios so there will be virtually unlimited content like in Portal 2.

How about that Battlefield 1, guys? Anyone else excited for the largely untapped WW1 setting?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Just a random thought. I started to actually google search the characters that people are having on their avatars.

Speaking of boosted, i just got the "God of Caffeine"
    Back to the Grind(stone)

I bought 4 of these. Perfect for an all nighting gaming session + paper writing in between which I'll be undertaking. Star Wars Dark Forces just got installed.

(I can't type today. I'm so tilted)

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Mine is Edna, the Queen of Snark, the only good character in Tales of Zestiria...the only reason I kept playing it after about five hours. Just so you know.

Custom maps in Doom probably wouldn't mean much to me, as they're almost certainly going to be a PS+ feature...I really should invest in PS+ somewhen. The more I hear about this game the more I want to pre-order it, though. £42 isn't too pricey for a AAA title, considering most of them are £50+ these days even online. Hrmn. Will sleep on it.

I've not even watched the Battlefield 1 announcement trailer or whatever it was yet, haha. I typically don't care for war-based games.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Already googled. Quoting Duke Nukem, "Damn I'm Good"

So far Doom's single player has been played up as pretty challenging (even though all their footage is played by pros of the game so it actually comes off looking easy) and it seems pretty fleshed out honestly. Not to mention with Snapmap there will be people creating custom maps and survival scenarios so there will be virtually unlimited content like in Portal 2.

How about that Battlefield 1, guys? Anyone else excited for the largely untapped WW1 setting?

Bolt action rifle action (holy sheet i can't type) and Trench Warfare. That's how its done folks.

About DOOME... well, if you all have seen most of the dang footage, they were playing it on "Hurt Me Plenty" which i already told in the APPROPRIATE thread about it. I'm hoping that "Ultraviolence" (which is the difficulty setting that most Men and Women should start playing especially if they are already quite adept in First Person Shooting) will add more enemies in the screen, which means more groins to rip off.

*MustresistmentioningBrutalDoomAgainElseIhavetomakeapostofitintheDOOMTHREAD*
    *MUSTRESISTTHEURGE*

Man, i remember when custom Doom content was like free of charge, just downloaded, make sure you know how to run it, have the right source ports, know what to do, and... OH DAMN IT I"M TRYING TO ADVERTISE AGAIN! XD. *Reads my own thread*

Anyway, getting high on caffeine may actually help me play F.E.A.R right now.. OH WAIT. It can't. I don't feel my murdercook rising up for now. Which is why I'm playing some Star Wars Dark Forces to help calm the nerves.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I don't know, we haven't even seen if the snapmap stuff will require any subscription. And if it did it would probably be Microsoft/Sony's fault not Id's. After all, the Steam version will definitely be free, and I imagine probably through Workshop.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Okay i lost it. DOSBOX can go suck its own DOSSY membrane far up its arse. Making Star Wars Dark Forces LAG like a snail is making me feel like i wanna scream but oh wait, screaming is for beeches. Like those screaming sirens in Killing Floor. or I just have to update DOSBOX myself since the DOSbox the Steam bought Dark Forces came long with is an outdated piece of crud.

Speaking of Killing Floor, KF2 is currently getting its reviews horribly scratched in the arse by its playerbase. Holy crud. From an overwhelmingly positive overall rating to like getting "Mixed" reviews , with so many of the more recent reviews being very negative and just talking smack to Trip Wire Studious (Killing Floor's dev team). Kf2 was something that i considered for a very long time as one of those games I'll be getting when i move to a new computer. Man... 2016 boys.. So much tilt.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Okay i lost it. DOSBOX can go suck its own DOSSY membrane far up its arse. Making Star Wars Dark Forces LAG like a snail is making me feel like i wanna scream but oh wait, screaming is for beeches. Like those screaming sirens in Killing Floor. or I just have to update DOSBOX myself since the DOSbox the Steam bought Dark Forces came long with is an outdated piece of crud.

Speaking of Killing Floor, KF2 is currently getting its reviews horribly scratched in the arse by its playerbase. Holy crud. From an overwhelmingly positive overall rating to like getting "Mixed" reviews , with so many of the more recent reviews being very negative and just talking smack to Trip Wire Studious (Killing Floor's dev team). Kf2 was something that i considered for a very long time as one of those games I'll be getting when i move to a new computer. Man... 2016 boys.. So much tilt.
    Just download a newer version of DosBox and load the game with that. I do wish there was "source ports" of Dark Forces though because I also have it on Steam and the classic controls are pretty difficult to master after being spoiled by ZDoom and Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition.

pkmin3033

Unless you plan to get Japanese Plus, it's pointless =D
    Your download list will just get cluttered by wave of indies and PSP games for Vita.
    True, but at least I'll get further discounts in sales for a while...right?
    Ehhhh, who am I kidding. I only buy digital if I have no other choice, and stuff I like rarely gets a PS+ discount anyway. Since I only have a couple of titles that have multiplayer and wouldn't play it anyway, and the free PS+ games are all trash....yeah, waste of money. xD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Just download a newer version of DosBox and load the game with that. I do wish there was "source ports" of Dark Forces though because I also have it on Steam and the classic controls are pretty difficult to master after being spoiled by ZDoom and Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition.

ZDoom baby. Best thing to exist since Ice Cream and Ak47s.

Trying to get the XL Engine to work right now. Turns out the the XL Engine is not just a Dark Forces sourceport but also a source port for BLOOD (the game, not the crimson red material that i bathe myself into)! OH YES! And some guy was able to make the XL Engine work on his Steam bought Dark Forces game.

LIFE SAVER!

EDIT: YES! Finally got The XL Engine to be working with the Steam version of Dark Forces. It a while and it sure does beat running the game on Crapbox. The more modern feel of playing Dark Forces is always lovely. None of that DOS like slowdowns. We're running the game like real men should. At 60 Frames. 60 FRAMES.

And the cybercafe that we visit CANNOT even run Overwatch at 60 frames D:

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Anyone want a Humble Bundle code for Shantae & The Pirate's Curse for Wii U?

It came with the bundle but I already have the game.

pkmin3033

Yea, sales and save storage+auto-updates are pretty much the only thing that saves PS+ =D
    Nipponese games sometimes do get PS+ sales, though =D
    Huh, I'd forgotten about cloud storage...yeah, I guess that could be handy, but honestly I'd find it easier just to shove a memory stick into the other USB port and do it that way and get your mind out of the gutter

Yeah...seeing the Atelier Plus titles on discount when I paid full price on the day makes me cringe. That said, they don't include the Day One bonus costumes, which I inevitably end up using from the start. Everything else...eh, I've bought most of the good games already in physical format or through previous discounts. xD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Back to the Grind(stone)

This picture makes me happy in the pants every time i see it. A certain friend of mine though cri evryteim. Related OLD article (Actually where this picture came from)

Then again, PC x Console cross platforming should never be a competitive setting. A co-op setting would be way better. Like some co-op super adventure where the guy on PC should be the team marksman and the guy on console should be the hack-n-slasher. Accuracy of Mouse+Keyboard x Maneuverability of a good ole Controller. That's how I would envision it but then again, beggars can't be choosers sadly :(

And to console guys and gals out there, don't worry. Mouse and Keyboard sucks so much on fighting games, i'd rather be playing on a PS1 Controller, like mah boi Luffy. Except for Melty Blood. That game was meant for keyboards with the LELSOEZEE combo system and move motions.

Back to the Grind(stone)

STAR WARS DARK FORCES ACTION! Killing Stormtroopers left and right, bodying imperial forces ALL DAMN NIGHT! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LIKE IT STORM B*TCHES!? YOU LIKE THE LASER MURDER COMING FROM MY MURDERBLASTER!?

Well, actually, that could be relevant if Brutal Dark Forces was a thing. Kyle Katarn is a murderking joining the likes of the Doomguy, Duke Nukem, Pointman, Bitterman (The Quake2 Guy), The Quake 4 guy, Jill Valentine (Weirdly enough, she qualifies as a Murderking), Arnold Schwarzenegger, and maybe the PainkillerGuy Daniel Garner.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

You can get lots of controllers for use with PC, though.

PC is best suited for RTS titles, in my opinion...or point and click. Using a mouse is so much easier than dragging with an analogue stick. At least, I'd never play something like Age of Empire on consoles except for maybe on 3DS, because it'd be just so damned awkward.

One of these days I need to see if I can get my PS4 to stream to PC...maybe I could stream Disgaea 5 or something. I've always wanted to do a Let's Play of some sort, but I lack the equipment and the confidence in my voice to do it D:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    This may sound ultrastupid, but the secret of commentary is to try talking to yourself a lot. Imagine you're talking to your clone and try sparking a conversation. While this may make anyone look really weird, and yes it will even make you weird, it really helps being more comfortable speaking. I remember speaking in front of a crowd was my biggest phobia back in the day. Talking to one's self can be an assessment of the following things:

- Pronunciation = because the internet has a lot of grammar and engrish Nazis who try to sound smart against most commentators but are still obviously boosted monkeys.

- Speech Patterns = this is how i assessed mine. In my case, I noticed that i still use a lot of filler words such as uhms, duhs, "like", and even spacing in some cuss words but rarely. I remember how punishing our English classes were.

- Signature terminologies = everyone has them. Just like The Rock's victims, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS. Everyone has signature terminologies or Jargons that they use, and these actually help spice up one's ability to deliver commentary.

Its funny. Commentating while playing is seriously a lot harder than it looks. The big problem really is that when people do commentary, they have to make sure that it has either one of two things:

1) You sound super informative, witty, smart, knowledgable, and at times point blank. And you have to sound really natural while doing it. Its harder to be this kind of commentator nowadays since most of the time, people don't really watch a commentator for the game he/she is playing. They watch for the persona doing the playing. But i feel that these kinds of commentators need a comeback because too many boosted tryhards tried to be like POODIEPIE, Chuggaconroy, Jacksceptic, and whoever but fail miserably. (And the funny thing really, I felt that 2014 was the last time we saw Commentators and RETS PRAYERS being at the height of their power. I may be wrong though).

2) Or go the spicy path of chugging some fresh blended steroids + meat products + protein shakes + BACON (because Bacon is love, Bacon is life), Fish N Chips (For the EU people), Rice and Fish (For the Asians such as myself), and getting a much calmer and more "mature" friend to help compensate the bulloads of Aggressive, Manly or Womanly, Roid Powered commentary with loads of humorous (and smexual terms and references, like using the term "Murderc*ck"). Its like you became the Doom Comic Doomguy incarnate and you have your much more NORMAL and more mentally sane friend to help calm down the commentary.

And then there's also considering the kind of library you have to play to be part of your online persona/character. The Spicy Path works if most of the stuff one would be playing are those that fit the whole theme of bein "SPICY" (Anything with ultra intensity. While most of the time, Bloody ultraviolence is something that's common in the spicy path, anything with intense gameplay works just as good, whether it has blood or not. Gameplay still matters more obviously :))))

Honestly though, the most important aspect of commentary is to simply genuinely enjoy the game one be playing. Corwin of SpicyWaffle says it best:

I'd basically suggest playing any game you enjoy. We've found that it's really hard to make videos on games we can't get excited about, so we just avoid playing them entirely. Start out with something you know you'll love, then branch out to other things later. It's always worth playing some free flash games, because, well, free :P

(This is the kind of posts that could have fit better when we still had the "RETS PRAY" subforum. But since that is long gone and have rested in pepperonis, we can now say stuff like this in ANYWHERE. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back