• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

I don't pay much attention to developers, although most of the indies I do notice, as well as those who fund their projects via Kickstarter, are open, honest, and generally just fantastic people. Of course, they're relying on a very small fandom to sell their titles, so any goodwill they can generate is going to help, but it's obvious they have passion for their product and want others to enjoy the experience as well. Seeing developer diaries and stuff is pretty interesting, and bigger corporations could learn a thing or two about transparency, rather than just giving us the blanket "quality control" excuse and expecting us to swallow it without complaint...or saying nothing, if you're Nintendo, and think delaying a game for 5 days in one area of the world is acceptable practice...or six months or more. Bunch of f--

Aaaaaanywhos. This is another reason I'm so fond of niche titles - the developers actually care. The AAA industry really doesn't give a crap about its fans anymore, because they know whatever they do will sell millions no matter who they piss off.

Humble beginnings makes for humble people.

pkmin3033

The AAA culture is bullshit, however they DO manage to produce some good titles now and then. I think it's an important distinction: the media and the practices of certain companies is what makes it so deplorable, but the quality of the material produced can, on occasion, be pretty damned amazing. Although incidences are fewer and far between these days outside of new IPs, as old IPs become repetitive cash-cows which lack any sort of originality and pander to fan expectations to guarantee sales. Good business though, I suppose. Who needs goodwill when you're guaranteed a profit? Even if it's because of stored goodwill from past successes...tch.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    and i thought we were about to all continue on how the Doomguy and the Soulsguy would create the greatest tag team of all time with their extremely close similarities with each other (look at their sweet delicious DOOM and Dark Souls 3 Boxarts), with the only differences is that the Doomguy wields guns, chainsaws, shotguns, plasma rifles, mini guns, assault rifles, auto loader cannons and BFGs, while Soulsguy wields Swords, Axes, Nunchucks, Spears, Magic weapons, and Crossbows. Then they tag team, and start facemelting the forces of Ultrasatan. And at the end of the day, Doomguy and Soulsguy give each other a weapon from their respective games as a sign of ultimate super MANLY CHEST BUMPING respect. (Ok, i dunno what the f**k i'm talking about)

However, i do understand everyone's opinions regarding the indie scene and the AAA industry. Everyone does have some good points. Though I'm still not the kind of person to easily judge both scenes based from what i see though. I do enjoy both scenes since I've gotten my delicious dose of meat, blood, and supermurder coming from both scenes (And i still recommend everyone to play Hero Siege, its cheap, and its fun)

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Holy christ does using the HTC VIVE screw up your spacial perception for a bit. Sitting at my desk grabbing a can of coke can only be described right now as... trippy. even just typing feels weird...

Playing Budget Cuts was worth it though... Best game I've played in a while... Well demo at least...

Sir Codin

and i thought we were about to all continue on how the Doomguy and the Soulsguy would create the greatest tag team of all time with their extremely close similarities with each other (look at their sweet delicious DOOM and Dark Souls 3 Boxarts), with the only differences is that the Doomguy wields guns, chainsaws, shotguns, plasma rifles, mini guns, assault rifles, auto loader cannons and BFGs, while Soulsguy wields Swords, Axes, Nunchucks, Spears, Magic weapons, and Crossbows. Then they tag team, and start facemelting the forces of Ultrasatan. And at the end of the day, Doomguy and Soulsguy give each other a weapon from their respective games as a sign of ultimate super MANLY CHEST BUMPING respect. (Ok, i dunno what the f**k i'm talking about)

However, i do understand everyone's opinions regarding the indie scene and the AAA industry. Everyone does have some good points. Though I'm still not the kind of person to easily judge both scenes based from what i see though. I do enjoy both scenes since I've gotten my delicious dose of meat, blood, and supermurder coming from both scenes (And i still recommend everyone to play Hero Siege, its cheap, and its fun)
    Speaking of which, I've been meaning to show you my desktop setup:

Back to the Grind(stone)

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    So, I decided to have my partner/co-host Alex play Sonic CD for the first time (he's playing the steam version). He hates it. According to him, Sonic games have controls that are too difficult for anyone to pick up properly.

I have never heard anyone say this or feel like this before. What do y'all think about this? Is he right? Or am I right in being perplexed? Whatever your stance, discuss.

(Either way this isn't like a serious thing. I should mention he's a lot better at, say, FPSs than I am)

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    According to him, Sonic games have controls that are too difficult for anyone to pick up properly.

I actually would agree on this to some extent. I remember playing the very first Sonic game as a child, and because I was a Nintenpleb who was too used with Mario, i wasn't able to get the handle of Sonic on my first try and rage-quitted like a little kid (which decades ago, i was indeed one XD LEL) it has something to do with the "slippery" moving physics things with Sonic. I mean, Mario is a little stiff initially, but still smooth enough to actually move around especially when you are doing his power run, which i remember having a really good feedback to them thumbs. Sonic is like.. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHH BABY IM BURNING OUT OF CONTROLLLLL WHOOOOOOOOOOO and it definitely takes a load of practice. And after a good amount of practice, the Sonic controls become more comfortable.

And that is one other thing. Sega Genesis does what Nintendon't ;)

And i hope that he was using a controller. SANIC on a keyboard is like asking the Cyberdemon to your house warming party: NEVER AGAIN, unless you were a superbeast at Jazz The Jackrabbit. which i should totally remind myself to pick up ASAP.

pkmin3033

Early Sonic titles are amongst the most basic and intuitive games there are, in my opinion - you run in one direction and you press a button to jump. That's all there really is to it. It doesn't get much simpler than that!

....OK, so you can also spin-dash if you want to, and some even let you back track a bit for different routes, but you don't HAVE to do these things. The only time you really need to think about what you're doing is when you're facing bosses, and even then it's just running around and jumping at the right moments.

Weeeeeird. I guess the pacing might be off-putting, or it might be so simple it seems complex, though. I grew up playing a Megadrive though, so I'm probably not in the best position to judge. But if six-year-old me could do it...xD

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    A big part of it is he refuses to use a controller. I can't help but laugh a bit when he begins to complain about input lag. This seems to be his main problem. That and the Collission Chaos Zone boss, which took him over an hour to beat.
    Granted, I have my obvious bias, having played this using a real controller game since it came out on the Sonic Gems collection, and since getting into game collecting picking it up for the Sega CD.

Weeeeeird. I guess the pacing might be off-putting, or it might be so simple it seems complex, though. I grew up playing a Megadrive though, so I'm probably not in the best position to judge. But if six-year-old me could do it...xD

I actually first beat this game when I was six years old as well. Telling him that did not help much.

In other news, particularly after rewatching Lazy Game Review's look back on Jazz Jackrabbit, I feel like giving this game a try.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Well, i wouldn't play Broforce with a keyboard either, so even the mightiest of peripherals have their flaws :))))
    MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies = Isn't that one of the greatest titles ever for a game? (Actually, Demons with Shotguns is still the greatest title to any video game ever, and forever) Because even Neptune (even though she isn't the star of the game) isn't safe from zombies. Or its better for us to say that Zombies aren't safe from anyone these days.

And English Neptune is LELest Neptune. My ears are both happy and asking for help at the same time. "BOING!"

if English Neptune wielded a Combat Shotgun and shot a possessed soldier or even a Hell Knight in the face with it? Would she yell "BOOM!" or "BANG!" ?

pkmin3033

Well, if he won't use a controller, no wonder he's struggling so much! xD

I still need to put some time into Blanc's game...I've been a tad busy with Pokemon Y these last few days and haven't had the time. Unforgivable, considering my love for the franchise, but maybe I'll put some time into it later now that I've wrapped up the story and now have the long, arduous process of getting one of everything again. I could use some action to break up the turn-based monotony anyway, as I'm also playing Disgaea 5 on PS4.

My brain can only take so much before I start trying to plan everything out in real life as turn based actions. Waiting for a piece of bread to attack you whilst you're making a sandwich is such a surreal experience.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Homefront getting terrible reviews, and the original Black Ops is coming to XBOX One backwards compatibility sometime later today.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    And English Neptune is LELest Neptune. My ears are both happy and asking for help at the same time. "BOING!"
    Fuck yeah, she is. She's the main reason I stick with the English version. Especially since her Japanese version isn't nearly as sassy.

And also, "BOING"- alright, I think it's about time I give my real answer in the JRPG thread. I was hoping someone'd call me out on it but...eh. That no one did slightly worries me. Though I'm glad people are giving their mostly unabridged opinions rather than just listing 'em all out. GG VG goers, proud to call you guys my lovelies (name pending).

pkmin3033

Guys, Satoshi is going to explode on us when he comes in here next. Explode.

Neptunia's Japanese voice cast is so damn BLAND, though. I can't imagine playing the games without Melissa Fahn sassing my ear off. I was so relieved when the anime got dubbed so I could watch it properly, too...

Also, I buggered my wrist up good and proper writing out a response to that thread...and I abridged it, too. I could have written a post three times that length. xD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Homefront getting terrible reviews

just read about it. Its your typical things that are often criticized like "short campaign", "things like other FPS shooters", but the multiplayer is well received, and the story and atmosphere is spot on as well.

Like what's been said in this thread a billion times, don't let the comments of others stop you from getting the game :)

I'd pick up the game myself and play it, and make my own assessment. I'd rip and tear people on multiplayer on it as well.

and I hope you aren't referring to the upcoming sequel D:

I just read the reviews of DOOM. Not posting this in the DOOM thread (for now) since that thread was already tagged as "EDGY" so yeah so my opinion on reviewers reviews of the MANLIEST GAME of this year can just sit around here for now. Sides, i think i need to sympathize with our fellow murderjims...

Spoiler:

And i'll post my ultra detailed opinion and assessment of the game once I've played it long enough soon. and of course in the appropriate thread.

Also, regarding Japanese voices. I've mentioned it before that its difficult for most people to detect what "bad" or "bland" or "Piss poor" Japanese voice acting unless you have a very high level of understanding and even speaking Japanese, or are Japanese yourself, or if you're someone like me whose a Man and a Half, you have a couple of Japanese IRL friends who are in to games and anime (had to point that out since even not all IRL Japanese who i know are in to said media mediums) to help you point out what is holding some voice acting back.

Now I'm so tempted to like rip and record English Neptune's voice lines and one-liners and turn said voice samples into a Doom mod. I'm so dead fragging serious. For both classic Doom (which is doable, and also means Neptune voice for Brutal Doom (LEL)) and in future, the New DOOM when modders have found ways to make actual mods for the game, which will have to wait for them to start cracking some of that game's source code.

"Did you see something whenever you made me partially jump? I know my skirt's still partially at fault but.... Oh wait, you can't really see me but only my hands and my weapon right? You're a creep if you feel sad that you can't even see me jump so much!"
    (and please imagine English Neptune saying that. Not I, or the Doomguy, since we don't wear skirts D:)

Grabbing you and brutally ripping out your body organs with my bare hands isn't really my thing but I LIKE YOU BABY! I LIKE YOUR GUTS!!!!!
    (JESUS. HOLY SHOTGUNS WHAT HAVE I DONE! I hope that I don't go to Hyperdimensional Hell for saying that, even that version of Hell isn't ready for me being trapped in there.)

Last edited:

pkmin3033

That'd be the Gamindustriy Graveyard, and you do actually remind me a little of CFW Judge from Mk.II, now that you mention it...

Modding Neptune's voice over Doomguy would be hilarious. Hearing "Jump! Boing! Like a kangaroo!" when you jump would be too much for me to bear, I think. xD

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    just read about it. Its your typical things that are often criticized like "short campaign", "things like other FPS shooters", but the multiplayer is well received, and the story and atmosphere is spot on as well.

Like what's been said in this thread a billion times, don't let the comments of others stop you from getting the game :)

I'd pick up the game myself and play it, and make my own assessment. I'd rip and tear people on multiplayer on it as well.

and I hope you aren't referring to the upcoming sequel D:

???

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    So, I decided to have my partner/co-host Alex play Sonic CD for the first time (he's playing the steam version). He hates it. According to him, Sonic games have controls that are too difficult for anyone to pick up properly.

I have never heard anyone say this or feel like this before. What do y'all think about this? Is he right? Or am I right in being perplexed? Whatever your stance, discuss.

(Either way this isn't like a serious thing. I should mention he's a lot better at, say, FPSs than I am)
    I agree in Sonic CD's case. It's a little odd for a Sonic game and I don't think it's well paced for people to learn the mechanics. The levels are all designed in this weird 15-story structure where there always seems to be a platform above you somewhere. In Sonic 2 you have caves and nooks you can end up in if you take the lower paths. There was only like a handful of ways you could go in the first three Sonic games, and it allowed you more chance to learn the game and retry for another route. In CD, everything is a different route! You even have the craziness that ensues from time travel. I think CD is a game designed for people who know Sonic. New players should play Sonic 2, it's the most accessible entry in the series.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back