• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HMs going forward

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • with the way that Sun & Moon introduced Ride Pokémon ("pokémon in alola have a special bond with trainers" or something) I didn't really get the sense that Ride Pokémon are gonna be a thing in future games - they seemed like a one-off feature, like so many of the franchise's great additions. So, what do you think will be happening to HMs in the future? Do you think Game Freak will be going back to the same old awful system, keeping something similar to ride Pokémon, or introducing something new?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • or finally make them a forgettable move. (TM)
    But what happens if you get stuck someplace! If you land on a tiny island and then delete Surf/Fly you're screwed.
    That's the reason they're not forgettable in the first place, so I don't see them merely changing that one fact with no other changes/additions to how they work.

Years
  • But what happens if you get stuck someplace! If you land on a tiny island and then delete Surf/Fly you're screwed.
    That's the reason they're not forgettable in the first place, so I don't see them merely changing that one fact with no other changes/additions to how they work.

You can reteach it with the TM.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The remakes however, will possibly using HMs again and sequels still attain using ride pagers
    Remakes means for P/PT/D

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • If there are Sinnoh remakes on the way, I'm concerned that we'll have to stomach all those damn HMs again. One of my favourite things about XY was the reduced number of HMs, and most of them were fairly useful in battle (Strength, Surf, Fly, Waterfall). I didnt mind so much teaching them to my main party members and not having to make space for an HM slave. Then the Hoenn remakes came along and stayed true to the HMs we had in Gen 3, which meant pain in the arse moves like Cut, Dive and Rock Smash were back on the agenda. Hopefully any potential Gen 4 remakes won't do the same thing.

Years
  • I really don't get why Game Freak are seemingly making Poke Ride an Alola exclusive feature, it literally makes no sense. They've finally created a system that has eradicated HMs entirely, which fans of Pokemon have been longing for since years ago and tbh for a game in the modern day, the prospect of HMs returning is awful and completely unnecessary after GF have clearly shown they're not a fundamental part of the games and can clearly be avoided with PokeRide. Perhaps we'll see something new and different in the next games, but to bring HMs back would be a pointless and stupid move imo bearing in mind how amazing and fun PokeRide is, sorry for the rant but I just really hate HMs lmao.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Personally, I'm hoping future games will also have no HMs or at the very least only the decent HMs (such as Surf and Fly) will be kept.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    If there are Sinnoh remakes on the way, I'm concerned that we'll have to stomach all those damn HMs again.

If that happens, I'm going to scream.

Nobody here will be able to hear it, as I'll be miles and miles away from everyone, but trust me, there will be a scream.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I was hoping for a brand new system where Pokemon can learn the four basic moves plus one extra move slot exclusive for HM slots. Personally I'm not a fan of the rider pokemon, although they were useful to have. I hope they can at least reintroduce HMs in future remakes.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I really don't get why Game Freak are seemingly making Poke Ride an Alola exclusive feature, it literally makes no sense. They've finally created a system that has eradicated HMs entirely, which fans of Pokemon have been longing for since years ago and tbh for a game in the modern day, the prospect of HMs returning is awful and completely unnecessary after GF have clearly shown they're not a fundamental part of the games and can clearly be avoided with PokeRide. Perhaps we'll see something new and different in the next games, but to bring HMs back would be a pointless and stupid move imo bearing in mind how amazing and fun PokeRide is, sorry for the rant but I just really hate HMs lmao.

They haven't confirmed that, have they? Anyways, they almost always give each region it's own feature.

Years
  • I think Poke Ride was definitely a step in the right direction, but what I really dread is something like what Luna posted - the fact it turns out as an Alola-only feature.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I really don't get why Game Freak are seemingly making Poke Ride an Alola exclusive feature, it literally makes no sense. They've finally created a system that has eradicated HMs entirely, which fans of Pokemon have been longing for since years ago and tbh for a game in the modern day, the prospect of HMs returning is awful and completely unnecessary after GF have clearly shown they're not a fundamental part of the games and can clearly be avoided with PokeRide. Perhaps we'll see something new and different in the next games, but to bring HMs back would be a pointless and stupid move imo bearing in mind how amazing and fun PokeRide is, sorry for the rant but I just really hate HMs lmao.
    agreed but still we lose great features every generation :(
    when do we get a game that has seasons and following pok?mon and ride pok?mon because that will be actual utopia

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haven't played beyond Gen V so don't know about the practicalities of ride pok?mon, but I have to say I think 5-6 is an appropriate number of HMs, like in the Kanto remakes (before the post-game) and Black / White. Especially once they made Rock Smash less-sucky. Everyone complains about Hoenn's abundance of water in Gen III but I think they're really only irritated at the number of Water HMs needed. Then Gen IV helped us out by ditching Flash, only to replace it with Defog and Rock Climb, which was a sucky version of Strength. The second you need to put more than 1 HM on the same pok?mon you've gone too far - if there's more than 6 HMs there should be more than 6 pokemon in your party.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I haven't looked back since the removal of HMs and I really do hope they carry this through future games. Even if it means a similar system to Poké Ride, it's definitely the way forward imo.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I feel like they are still going to try to aim for HM's to be minimal as possible, but I feel like HM's will be back but it might be like Gen 4 where we need permission to go through w/ our badges

Back