bobandbill

one more time

Male
A cape
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
15,975 posts
12.7 Years

You may know them as Pokémon Red and Blue. The first Pokémon games joins the Hall of Fame along with the like of Donkey Kong, Halo: Combat Evolved and Street Fighter II.

Read all about it!

Staff Anime Villain Collab - Earl de Darkwood - Interstella 5555

Daily | Drabble Dex | A Change of the Season
The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum
Paired to Sheep :>

pastelspectre

Simp for Ethan Nestor

Age 22
he/him
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
2,092 posts
10.6 Years
well deserved! glad to see sonic is up there too, thats also one of my fave game franchises. i never played the original red/green/blue but i did play pokemon yellow.

Lunar

Age 21
Male
England
Seen September 16th, 2020
Posted September 15th, 2020
4,049 posts
6.5 Years
Really deserved, I was able to play Red as a kid although I never owned a copy myself. Definitely two iconic games.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent

Age 32
Male
Marysville, Washington State, United States
Seen March 1st, 2018
Posted March 1st, 2018
9,433 posts
6.6 Years
Congrats to Pokemon Red and Green and Halo Combat Evolved for making it into the World Video Game Hall of Fame. Now to see if Final Fantasy or Mass Effect get inducted into it next year.
Owner of Play Well - The LEGO Fan Club

OSO STRONG

#TeamPopplio

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu

Age 28
Male
California
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted May 16th, 2019
9,528 posts
7.9 Years
I take it that there's a "one game per franchise" policy for the World Video Game Hall of Fame? If so, then I find it confusing how a game like Pokémon Red and Green that hasn't aged well and is riddled with broken mechanics gets in over its successors that fixed those problems, because I feel the World Video Game Hall of Fame reserves only high-quality games that withstood the tests of time.

blue

gucci

Male
United Kingdom
Seen August 12th, 2019
Posted August 7th, 2019
21,060 posts
12.8 Years
Totally deserved; the start of a fantastic franchise in gaming.
Non-binary
Canada
Seen July 14th, 2018
Posted July 12th, 2018
54 posts
3.9 Years
I take it that there's a "one game per franchise" policy for the World Video Game Hall of Fame? If so, then I find it confusing how a game like Pokmon Red and Green that hasn't aged well and is riddled with broken mechanics gets in over its successors that fixed those problems, because I feel the World Video Game Hall of Fame reserves only high-quality games that withstood the tests of time.
Aside from the possible "one game per franchise policy", I think it's based on how influential a game is, especially in relationship to Pop/Gaming Culture and History. Although the new games do sell well and they are also less buggy and technically speaking, more mechanically refine, they are not as well known to the general public in comparison to Pokemon RGBY. Thus Pokemon RGBY has a larger presence among people who aren't Pokemon enthusiast. Therefore, the mainline gen 1 games are generally consider more influential.

But that being said, Pokemon's success was a pretty grand accomplishment for it's time. When Pokemon was still a new franchise, it was one of the few JRPGs were it's popularity in Japan was almost on par with it's popularity outside of Japan. That feat alone is enough to justify it's place on the Hall of Fame. I do think the anime had a lot to do with it but that's a story for another time.