Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Old May 13th, 2017 (2:41 AM).
  • Super Moderator
  • Platinum Tier
  • Discord Moderoid

Nature: Naive
What would you do?
A fun little discussion here in Pokemon General where you discuss what you would do in certain scenarios!

What is this about?
These are simply about hypothetical scenarios that would occur to you if you were in the Pokemon World (or not!). This is pretty much the entire premise of WWYD (What Would You Do); that is, what would you do in a given scenario? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts!
Can I suggest some scenarios, too?
Of course you can! In fact, I highly encourage you to! Feel free to PM your ideas to Dragon or adventure!
What would you do in this scenario?
The professor asks you to undertake a quest to capture all the pokémon species in the region. You'll get free hotels, food, pokéballs and potions and can travel anywhere in the region for free for the duration of your mission. But you are not allowed to battle any trainers or challenge any gyms at all, and avoid fighting wild pokémon unless you have to (for self-defense or captures). Basically, you'd need to postpone your pokémon trainer aspirations until you've captured them all! On the other hand, being a trainer and traveling around can be costly and bothersome, and with this offer at least you'd get to see places and meet pokémon for free, even if your friends would become more experienced battlers and level up their pokémon more while you were gone... What would you do?

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 13th, 2017 (2:49 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

Do it! Honestly, the most enjoyment I've gotten out of Pokemon has always been compiling a Living Dex. I like catching one of everything, and I'd get plenty of battling out of doing that, because to capture Pokemon you typically have to weaken them in battle first. I'm entirely fine with never having to interact with others on my journey!

But I want one of these - insured - when I start going after Legendaries:
Old May 13th, 2017 (1:23 PM).
Aaron is that weirdo with 5 colours in her hair
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant
I've never been a massive fan of completing the Pokedex and have only ever completed a Regional Dex once. I think a big part of a Pokemon journey is the adventuring aspect, I think the anime sums this up quite well sometimes, with Ash sometimes sleeping under the stars or that famous episode in the original series where he slept in a ice cave thing with his Pokemon, I think that's where a bond is made with your Pokemon and to just stay in hotels and not engage in battles or anything would be boring for me, so I don't think I'd do it tbh.
Old May 14th, 2017 (1:48 AM).
Lurking in the shadows

Nature: Relaxed
    Yes I definately would, but you have to battle wild Pokemon to capture them.
    Old May 16th, 2017 (9:11 PM).

if it's free it's for me. i can't imagine myself really wanting to be a trainer as much as i would just want to travel and see new pokemon
      Old May 20th, 2017 (10:52 PM).
      Ω Good Bye & Good Night Ω
      • Crystal Tier
      • Social Media

Nature: Quiet
      I always go down the rabbit hole with hypotheticals like these, making my decisions harder. Do I have to capture one of every Pokemon, or is simply getting a Pokedex entry through trade/evolution enough? Are the Pokemon mine to keep, or will they belong to the professor? Is there a particular reason why the professor wants me to catch all these Pokemon, and is willing to pay me to do so?

All those questions aside, if I'm taking it at face value, the answer is an easy yes. If I'm in a real world Pokemon situation, I'd be more interested in studying and observing than I would be battling, so this would be more up my alley than aiming for the Pokemon League. Plus, there are thousands of other trainers out there who are probably better than me, so I'd be silly to pass up free travel, food, and accommodations while catching Pokemon.
      Old June 11th, 2017 (5:41 AM).
      Like a rhythm to the sea
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
      As a battler, this would be a difficult predicament for me...

My thoughts are largely in line with Brendan's, though. The specifics really matter; if the Pokemon I catch belong to me instead of the professor, then I'd be more inclined to participate. As cool as the perks sound, not having any Pokemon of your own would absolutely suck and I expect to be made up for it by being paid significantly more if I'm not going to keep anything I catch.

Even then though, my thoughts would slighlty lean towards taking the life of a Trainer, anyway. This is because even if I were to keep the Pokemon that I catch for the sake of research, what would bother me the most is that they don't really have the opportunity to get stronger, and they might even get used for research and whatnot. It's a bothersome sitaution to be in, certainly. The biggest reason why I would choose the life of a Trainer is because battling is more than just taking down every Gym Leader, every Elite Four member, every Trainer. It's a way for me to feel like I contributing more to the world; like driving away evil teams and other criminal organizations and things like that. These are the things that I would miss out on by taking on the life of some researcher's assistant, and that would bother me the most.

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old June 12th, 2017 (5:38 PM).

I won't do it. I'd rather have a few good Pokemon to befriend and battle with than one of everything. It's better for me to maintain a relationship with just a few than with "everyone." I mean I suck at battling in real life, but JUST catching is JUST boring. That's just me anyway.
        Old June 12th, 2017 (8:56 PM).
        Where's my GO Team insignia?

Nature: Jolly
          In pokémon games I was more focused over roaming, travelling and performing secondary
          activities rather than being an actual trainer.He-he, my sister was more the actual trainer,
          she could deal with anything and in crystal she collected every non-event legendary and
          completed the dex as much as you could without trades. Although in sapphire(where my sister
          allowed me to start my own journey) being more of a roamer than an actual trainer I explored the
          icy depths of the shoal cave, collected every item on the ground, brought up the mystery of the
          braille-engraved hall and placed the sky pillar on the map(despite neither of us managed to reach
          the top...actually, we didn't get the regis or Latias either...)
          The scenario you proposed includes free supplies, so we wouldn't even need to bother other trainers.
          The problem would then be dealing with high-leveled wild pokémon that won't let
          you flee, but we're talking about the poké-world itself and not the games(plus, I'm quite sure
          other trainers can't force you to fight...at least accordingly to the anime episode 37 of X&Y)
          , so I suppose
          we could get through that by giving no reason to attack and perhaps offering some om-noms.
          Shall unite every people from this very nation!
          Denouncing the creepiness of one odd bond,
          Reducing my domains to little and nothing beyond.
          Damien watches the anime, but not during the night,
          Surrender now, for I wish not to fight!

Want some gen5 apricorn balls?
          Old September 8th, 2017 (9:18 AM).

I don't actually go after the Dec that much so I'd probably prefer to be a trainer.

Quick Reply