bobandbill

one more time

Male
A cape
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
16,195 posts
13.1 Years
Rabi says Cyrus did nothing wrong. See the article to find out why he says such a thing!

Staff Anime Villain Collab - Earl de Darkwood - Interstella 5555

Daily | Drabble Dex | A Change of the Season
The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum
Paired to Sheep :>

Astromancer

they/them
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
35,298 posts
13.4 Years
i for one welcome our nihilistic overlord

Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
1 posts
22 Days
Well no... the type of idealism that Cyrus spouts is probably most close to anti-natalists - or the position that birthing someone is a moral wrong because of the suffering the babe will eventually encounter. The obvious answer to this is that the baby will suffer and gain pleasure; however, the antinatalists would argue that suffering is worth more negative than pleasure is positive. This is mostly do to the psychology behind pain; how one good thing is barely noticeable and one bad thing can ruin a day.

The logic employed by Cyrus is similar - that despite the pleasure in the world, suffering makes the getting rid of all pleasure worth it. However, there is a fatal flaw in Cyrus's plan. There is no practical way to ensure that people will both have no emotions and will be able to think at all. You see, neurologically speaking, the ability to be motivated to have "emotion" or "logic" is chemically induced, so if Cyrus would get rid of all emotion, he would be getting rid of your ability to think or act at all - as they are all dependent on the same chemicals.

Furthermore, as the actual ACT of ridding all emotions is a harm, his plan is a net harm, comparable to genocide.

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 26
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 22 Hours Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
327 posts
6.3 Years
I've always personally agreed with Cyrus' intentions. Ignoring the ins and outs of chemical imbalance and whatnot (we're talking a world with dragons that bend space and time. I'd say physics and biology are a bit out the window already at this point).

Point being, I believe the world would be better without petty emotion. Not because I dislike emotion, but because I think majority of people are a net negative to the world at the end of the day. It's either get rid of emotion or get rid of the people. Lesser of two evils in this regards.

This of course reads as very arrogant, but I'm not exempt from that majority of people either from my point of view. Of course, I wouldn't follow through with Cyrus' plans personally since that's taking away people's free will, and that's just not good imo. I just agree that the world would be better off in the end until a societal structure develops that's a bit more sophisticated and less juvenile than the current one.

TL;DR, society is too immature for emotions to be a net positive imo.

Nah

Age 28
Female
Online now
Posted 15 Hours Ago
14,735 posts
7.4 Years
I don't know how serious the article is given the date it was posted on, but...

I actually have the opinion that if your beliefs lead you to agree with a man who thinks the world is so irredeemable that he wants to destroy it, you are tremendously wrong, and need to re-evaluate your entire belief system.
If you have a broken system that cannot be fixed, what real choice do you have other than to tear it down and replace it with something better?
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

pokemon fan person

Age 18
Female
kalos
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
378 posts
21 Days
I actually have the opinion that if your beliefs lead you to agree with a man who thinks the world is so irredeemable that he wants to destroy it, you are tremendously wrong, and need to re-evaluate your entire belief system.
that sounds a little too extreme, but, uhh, ok
VPP:
flabébé

ZeoStar

dream world
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
5,514 posts
3.5 Years
Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? Cyrus was shunned by his parents, so he develops the belief emotions simply get in the way of people. That sounds like a massive emotional reaction on it's own.

Also I actually agree that Cyrus may have had his own good intentions, but that doesn't make the intentions correct. Most evil historical figures believe they are in the right.

(Though I get it's an april fools article).
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/1c9662e4/cloud_3_400x350.jpg
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
106 posts
67 Days
If you have a broken system that cannot be fixed, what real choice do you have other than to tear it down and replace it with something better?
We aren't talking about a broken system, I would agree we can change a system (ie capitalism) and not fall into capitalist realism.

However, we are talking about a fundamentally broken world here. Even in some idealized Star Trek society, these 'criticisms' of the world here would still hold. Strife is inherent to the world. I have no choice but to say then that the foundational premises of this kind of thought are just flawed to the core.