• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★ Toxic to the Touch ★ Poison Type Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    Fav poisons: Dustox, Victreebel [have to get sprites when I'm on a better device]
    reason: You don't need a reason, just Toxic.~
    Sorry if I sound boring I am just in awe of having a poisons club. [and really tired :p]

Topic: Kanto, Sinnoh had some good ones too~

Kakuna Rattata~ Not a huge fan of Beedrill's line, but Kakuna does look pretty cool I'll admit. XD

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Fav poisons: Crobat, Victreebel, Nidoking [have to get sprites when I'm on a better device]
    reason: You don't need a reason, just Toxic.~
    Sorry if I sound boring I am just in awe of having a club. [and really tired :p]

Topic: Kanto, Sinnoh had some good ones too~

Welcome! No worries, tiredness consumes at the worst times :P Kanto and Sinnoh did have good Poison-types I must agree.

Sounds like I should write a new fanfic: Venusaur and the Frog Within

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I agree! Most of my favourite poison types come from the two regions mentioned. How about you guys? What are your favourite poison types from Kanto and Sinnoh? I could go on all day but some of my top favourites would be Stunky, Nidoqueen and Gengar. I also like the two grass poisons of Victreebel and Venusaur. <3

Venusaur: The Frog Within? Sure, why the heck not? I saw this and decided to do something with the title even if it turned into a tale that broke every law of writing fanfiction ever. Sorry if you didn't actually want this created but I had nothing better to do. <3

Venusaur: The Frog Within

Spoiler:

... yep. See what you think, was just something random I composed in a few minutes. Not intended to be a good story either. XD

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    I agree! Most of my favourite poison types come from the two regions mentioned. How about you guys? What are your favourite poison types from Kanto and Sinnoh? I could go on all day but some of my top favourites would be Stunky, Nidoqueen and Gengar. I also like the two grass poisons of Victreebel and Venusaur. <3

Venusaur: The Frog Within? Sure, why the heck not? I saw this and decided to do something with the title even if it turned into a tale that broke every law of writing fanfiction ever. Sorry if you didn't actually want this created but I had nothing better to do. <3

Venusaur: The Frog Within

Spoiler:

... yep. See what you think, was just something random I composed in a few minutes. Not intended to be a good story either. XD

/blink/ I knew I should have read the whole thread....

Bravo.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yep, I also agree; Kanto and Sinnoh did have great poison-types.

From latter, I'd say my most favorite would likely have to be Toxicroak. Its design looks stunning--it's meant to be a physical fighter, and it does seem as such--and when it comes to battling, its skills are rather top-notch. It has amazing Speed, allowing to outrun almost any opposing Pokémon, and moves that Toxicroak has access to are generally useful when it comes to competitive, such as Sucker Punch.

As for Kanto, my favorite is Nidoking (it is native to this region, isn't it?). Its appearance suits it quite well, and although it's not that great when it comes to competitive battling as Toxicroak, it could still make a decent member for in-game teams.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    /blink/ I knew I should have read the whole thread....

Bravo.

Thanks! <3

Thank you. :D Like I said, I'll figure out how to get the sprites on a better device, as well as figure out how to quote to people.…

If you'd like to quote multiple people - just hit the other sign next to the quote button. It's multiquote or quote + and you can use this to answer everyone in a single post. Once you reach the last person you'd like to tag, use the normal quote button. Hope this helps you out! :)

Yep, I also agree; Kanto and Sinnoh did have great poison-types.

From latter, I'd say my most favorite would likely have to be Toxicroak. Its design looks stunning--it's meant to be a physical fighter, and it does seem as such--and when it comes to battling, its skills are rather top-notch. It has amazing Speed, allowing to outrun almost any opposing Pokémon, and moves that Toxicroak has access to are generally useful when it comes to competitive, such as Sucker Punch.

As for Kanto, my favorite is Nidoking (it is native to this region, isn't it?). Its appearance suits it quite well, and although it's not that great when it comes to competitive battling as Toxicroak, it could still make a decent member for in-game teams.

Toxicroak's design is pretty stunning! I used to think it was somewhere on the scale of mediocrity but I think I've started liking it a lot more now. <3 It's great in battle provided that it's not matched up against a psychic type and even then can counterattack with Sucker Punch. I had no idea it had such a high speed though! That'd definitely help with outrunning some otherwise hard counters. I think overall it's a great pokemon with a lot of strengths whether in battle or design-wise. With all the recent talk of frogs as well, I've begun to take a liking to the actual frog pokemon of the franchise (excluding Politoed and co).

While I tend to lean towards Nidoqueen out of the two, Nidoking's pretty great as well. Definitely one of the better poison types even if it does struggle to find a place in competitive battling. Even so, its good for carrying a variety of moves, has one of the cooler sounding names and can dish out a lot of power if left underestimated. I've personally only used its counterpart but I'm sure Nidoking wouldn't be that different, right?

Hmm, how about some of the more underrated poison types though? How do people feel about Muk or Beedrill for instance? :0

Wicked3DS

Years
    *points to avatar* That's that for Beedrill (also I acquired the Beedrillite last night).

I've never used Muk actually, but I like it anyway. I know it has good Attack and Special Defense and a decent movepool, but I've never seen its work in battle.

And that Venusaur story...just wow.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I did use Muk on my team at one point, but that was long ago; it was when I were playing Pokémon FireRed.

Muk isn't exactly my most favorite poison-type, but I did like its presence in anime. It used to be on Ash's team, I believe, and when it did make appearances, things were rather hilarious; it'd proceed to eat almost everyone in sight. I'm not sure if they'll have Ash bring this Pokémon back at some point in future, but it would be interesting, I feel.

If they decide to give Muk a mega-evolution at some point in future, I wonder how it would look? I mean, it's a slime, so I'm kind of curious to know as to how they would be able to advance its design and whatnot. Even though they don't have to apply much changes, I believe some are still required due to distinction purposes.

Wicked3DS

Years
    Mega Muk would be quite an epic slime :P In fact, let's officially make Muk our topic of discussion:

Spoiler:

Y Pokédex: A toxic fluid seeps from its body. The fluid instantly kills plants and trees on contact.

So Muk is not very environmentally friendly. Personally, I'd like to see Mega Muk because I think they could do some interesting things with it design wise. It probably could get some extra features and maybe a second type if Game Freak was feeling ambitious enough :P

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
    Muk... a very interesting Pokemon. I dunno, I don't really have an opinion on this guy.

And, just to flaunt my useless anime trivia, Muk just pounces on Oak time and time again. So it's safe to assume Muk can control it's toxic touch.

I dunno, I might use him when I get my copy of Y.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    If you'd like to quote multiple people - just hit the other sign next to the quote button. It's multiquote or quote + and you can use this to answer everyone in a single post. Once you reach the last person you'd like to tag, use the normal quote button. Hope this helps you out! :)

While I tend to lean towards Nidoqueen out of the two, Nidoking's pretty great as well. Definitely one of the better poison types even if it does struggle to find a place in competitive battling. Even so, its good for carrying a variety of moves, has one of the cooler sounding names and can dish out a lot of power if left underestimated. I've personally only used its counterpart but I'm sure Nidoking wouldn't be that different, right?

Hmm, how about some of the more underrated poison types though? How do people feel about Muk or Beedrill for instance? :0
    AHH THANKS
    And I personally like Nidoking better, even thugh I always use Nidoqeen...
    And Butterfree over Beedrill normally.......... But in a challenge, I have to use Bedrill's line and Weedle is the only poke I have right now and we have to beat Brock's gym. ;-;
    I did use Muk on my team at one point, but that was long ago; it was when I were playing Pokémon FireRed.

Muk isn't exactly my most favorite poison-type, but I did like its presence in anime. It used to be on Ash's team, I believe, and when it did make appearances, things were rather hilarious; it'd proceed to eat almost everyone in sight. I'm not sure if they'll have Ash bring this Pokémon back at some point in future, but it would be interesting, I feel.

If they decide to give Muk a mega-evolution at some point in future, I wonder how it would look? I mean, it's a slime, so I'm kind of curious to know as to how they would be able to advance its design and whatnot. Even though they don't have to apply much changes, I believe some are still required due to distinction purposes.
    I can kinda imagine that.... I'd probably use it then. ._. I've never used that line befre, but it'd be interesting to try

Y Pokédex: A toxic fluid seeps from its body. The fluid instantly kills plants and trees on contact.

So Muk is not very environmentally friendly. Personally, I'd like to see Mega Muk because I think they could do some interesting things with it design wise. It probably could get some extra features and maybe a second type if Game Freak was feeling ambitious enough :P

I believe in Vermiliion City there's an NPC who says they have to keep the Grimer out of the city to maintain its cleansliness, and a mission in the original Pokemon Ranger you have to capture all the Grimer and Muk from the sewers. :D
    Maybe Mega Muk could have psychic powers and be dual Poison\Psychic. XD I can see that, a bigger ball of slime BUT HAS RESISTANCE TO PSYCHIC AND CAN THROW YOU AROUND WITH ITS MIND

Last edited:
    Years
    I always found Muk one of the more unappealing Poison-types, but its evolution line's design is very simplistic and that's probably why it works. Ash's Muk in the anime does act in an adorable manner though, when it keeps pouncing on Professor Oak.

Its Stench ability wasn't really much, but 5th Gen did somehow give the ability a boost by now having the user's attacks have a chance of flinching. Muk's movepool is also pretty unusual, such as learning a few Fire moves like Flamethrower. Poison Touch is a fairly decent Hidden Ability for it as well, given it mainly uses physical moves and it can give its contact-based moves a chance to poison.

While it may seem like a pile of sludge, it still has some tricks to work with.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yeah, I suppose Muk's simplistic design is what helps keep it atop, haha. It works, and that is good.

If Muk does wind up getting itself a mega-evolution form in future, I believe it would be rather nice if its defensive stats were to gain boost. They're already good like the way they are now, but with slight raise, things would become even more easy for this particular Pokémon, and it would be endure a variety of hits without any trouble at all, which is great.

This would help increase Muk's overall usage, I feel, which would certainly lend a hand on putting a spotlight to it and whatnot.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Even if Muk's design is seen as too simplistic, I'm fine with that. It's actually a key part of why I like it - the idea isn't complex but it works well. What's not to love about a pile of purple sludge? It's strong in battle and can be used for purposes outside of the battlefield. See how its body is all gooey and sticky? It could probably vaccuum or swallow up things easily. It could also probably change its shape flexibly or be used as an incredibly toxic but rather comfortable piece of furniture. How about as a slingshot or team mascot too? Really, even though its not as complex as a few other poison types that I can think of, it has its own benefits and perks. :D

A Mega Muk that gains psychic ability would be interesting! Did it inhale something telepathic though or what? I'm not exactly sure what other explanation could be used instead of 'it ate something magical'. But design-wise, I agree that it should be bulkier and have some more arms or features that make it look stronger.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Muk is actually a very nasty foe to contend with if used properly. With breeding access to acid spray and minimize it can eat it's way through nearly any team by simply evading.

Acid spray is a must:

First because it gets a STAB bonus

Second: it has high PP for such a specialized move sitting at 20 and upgrading to 32 using PP Up or PP Max.

And third because it chews through special defence like nobody's business. Very few teams have a good defence against the Acid Spray, and even if they do bring Steel types to the mix, Muk is close enough to their average speed to melt them down with flamethrower or Fireblast before they can rally.

Overall, I believe Muk is a great all-around Poison type that can take on nearly any type it goes up against with it's wide array of moves, which is a whopping 73 to choose from.

Also, I've thought about it and I think if there was a Mega Muk, I wouldn't change it's typing, but give it a new ability, say perhaps Color Change. Since it is toxic sludge, and toxic waste comes in all colors I believe it is fitting for Mega Muk to receive Color Change.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Color Change would be an interesting ability to give Mega-Muk, I believe! However, I can't imagine it to help the Pokémon when it comes to battling, which would kind of suck. Though, put that aside, it's not bad at all.

So, shall we introduce a new topic to keep our conversation going? If it were up to us to change secondary typing of any existing poison-types, which Pokémon would it be? What would we change it to? Why would we select this particular type-group? How would this change benefit said Pokémon?

Me--I'd make changes to Mega-Venusaur. It's grass-poison, I believe, just like its original form; I'd likely switch its grass typing to dragon, possibly, as it tends to remind me of dragons (and I'm sure same could be said for a lot of other people). This Pokémon might not have that many dragon hits available in its arsenal, if at all, but this could always be changed by allowing it to learn moves such as Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Outrage (doesn't it know this already?), and so forth.

CoffeeDrink

Years
    I thnk that would hurt Venasaur more than help it seeing as how Treeko's line already has that Mega-Grass/Dragon shtick, and I don't want people thinking Venasaur copied them (and what dragon moves could it learn, if any?), and not to mention it's now useless against fairies.

And if I had to change a Pokemon's type, it'd probably have to be Nidoqueen (or Nidoking). I'd change her to a Poison/Rock and my reasoning being that both Nidoking and Nidoqueen are not separate enough in my mind to warrant a huge dilemma over who to put in my team, and it feels like Nidoking has a few more perks to him that Nidoqueen so she could use the boost of status.

Further more, unless they fixed her (pun intended), Nidoqueen cannot be bred, but others in it's evolutionary line can! Nidoking can also breed, so there's that on top of it. I think to make up for this mistake, they should break new ground and have Nidoqueen produce eggs for both Nidoran♂ and Nidoran♀ (like both Nidoran are capable of). Then we could finally get egg moves for the Nidoking line as well as the Nidoqueen line. These two lines are horribly broken in my view and they should fix them, like instead of having the male and female symbols in the name just take them out; it's redundant to have the symbol twice.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    So, shall we introduce a new topic to keep our conversation going? If it were up to us to change secondary typing of any existing poison-types, which Pokémon would it be? What would we change it to? Why would we select this particular type-group? How would this change benefit said Pokémon?

I think I'd change either Arbok or Seviper to a normal/poison type! Both of them are pretty much the same with the exception of being different species of snake so adding another way to make them stand out from each other would be great.

As for where the normal typing came from, I think ground could of also worked but we already have poison/grounds in the form of Nidoking and Nidoqueen. Normal is just the next typing I associate with common land creatures and reptiles (e.g. normal types such as Lillipup and Zigzagoon are based off dogs and raccoons respectively). And snakes are just found throughout the world as slithery land reptiles, letting them be apart of the normal cohort.

It's not necessary for them to change Arbok/Seviper but like Warsmith mentioned with his example, I'd love to see some difference between the two even if it's only minor. They're both really cool and it'd be a shame if they didn't get their own recognition. :(

M-Venusaur being changed to dragon type? That's an interesting one. I think I could see it working since it's actually quite jurassic and dragons are similar enough to dinosaurs, but at the same time I don't really. I'm all up for uniqueness with typings but it seems weird to do this as there's already a M-Sceptile. There's also the possibility of a future M-Serperior who would probably be given the priority of grass/dragon as it fits the typing more than Venusaur.

Also I agree that they made Nidoqueen feel really inferior while also not providing much difference in name or battle. ;v; A rock/poison change could help it to be get out of the shadows while also enabling it to get more moves/stat buffs etc. I'm curious at what you meant when you said it couldn't breed though? Is it like the way legendaries can't breed or does it have nothing to pass on egg move wise? Really though, anything that can help it to be equal or even slightly better than its counterpart would be amazing. :]

CoffeeDrink

Years
    I'm curious at what you meant when you said it couldn't breed though? Is it like the way legendaries can't breed or does it have nothing to pass on egg move wise? Really though, anything that can help it to be equal or even slightly better than its counterpart would be amazing. :]

As far as Nidoqueen goes she cannot produce eggs, and neither can Nidorina if I remember correctly, but Nidoran can. It's wonky and just doesn't fit at all, it effectively makes having access to certain egg moves negligible, as you'd have to have a stable of Nidoran hanging on to the moves you want, then evolving them after you're absolutely certain. Updating her would be a huge benefit to the Poison type. Giving her a significant defense boost (comparable in contrast to Nidoking's attack) and changing her type to Poison/Rock will practically guarantee she'll see some use due to the unique typing.

It seems that Poison types are stagnating while most of the others get a nice round out all around, especially the Dragon type which has seen every typing with the exception of Normal, Fighting, and Bug. poison types are missing out on 8 typing combinations: Steel, Psychic, Normal, Fire, Ice, Fairy Electric, and Rock.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back