• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Anybody planning on sporting their sunglasses and observing the solar eclipse this Monday? Maybe a diy project of making a pinhole viewing box will be on your to-do list, or grabbing a filter/solar lens and photographing the big happening?

North America is going to be in the path of totality, and I am told that from my part of the world we won't be able to see the shadow of the moon like this again for 20 years! While I am not in a place where I can see a total eclipse like some parts of America, Canada and Mexico will, and can't experience daytime darkness, what I can see from where I stand at 85% coverage still sounds like it will be beautiful with comparison to deep twilight and the sun resembling a crescent moon. The weather is expected to be clear and sunny, so I will go out in nature and appreciate what's happening.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
We only got a partial eclipse here and it was really too cloudy to tell much of a difference. Looked out the window once and noticed a crescent-shaped reflection on the glass but that's about it.

I did spot another White-Lined Black Moth while enjoying the shade though. Figured I'd take the opportunity to get a shot of it out in nature.

Attachments

• wlb24b.jpg
    wlb24b.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
  • wlb24a.jpg
    wlb24a.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Since I'm gonna be moving back soon, I'd thought I'd share a list of all the Lepidoptera my older brother has assembled the whole time we were here.
Here are his observations.
WOW @ the Imperial Fruit Sucking Moth, Horsfield's Tussock Moth, Frothers, Urapteroides astheniata, and Many-Plumed Moth! Love the Paracrama latimargo too (green moths ftw). So many cool moths!

Years
I did get to see the eclipse. I was blessed to have mostly clear skies, and what I saw in the sky looked like a last quarter half moon at times and a waning crescent moon at others. It was super bright at first, but then it looked like early evening, though it was still afternoon, it was gray and the sun was really rosy and candlelight-colored, or at least that is how it appeared through the eclipse glasses. I am glad that I got to see it, It was breathtaking and I hope that others get to also enjoy what I was fortunate enough to be part of. I looked to see when and where some of the net total eclipses will be visible, and read that in 2028 Australia will one of the continents that get the honor!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Still nothing new, but here are some more nice repeat visitors from the past week or so: an American Lappet Moth, Dogwood Thyatirid, Blackberry Looper and, my first sphingid of the year, Walnut Sphinx. Might need to start saving my juiciticity for new ones though. My rechargeable batteries are DYING... Dx

I also spotted some morels growing by the creek (might be a new species for me but I'm not 100%) and discovered a wild Hoppip.

Attachments

• alm_c.jpg
    alm_c.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2
  • dogwood_m6.jpg
    dogwood_m6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2
  • bbemerald3.jpg
    bbemerald3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2
  • wns.jpg
    wns.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • morel3.jpg
    morel3.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2
  • dande_hopip.jpg
    dande_hopip.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
Still nothing new, but here are some more nice repeat visitors from the past week or so: an American Lappet Moth, Dogwood Thyatirid, Blackberry Looper and, my first sphingid of the year, Walnut Sphinx. Might need to start saving my juiciticity for new ones though. My rechargeable batteries are DYING... Dx

I also spotted some morels growing by the creek (might be a new species for me but I'm not 100%) and discovered a wild Hoppip.
I have seen caterpillars of the american lappet moth! there pretty cool caterpillars that show red stripes when threatened!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've yet to spot the caterpillar. Don't recall reading about the warning color previously. Neat!

Bellsprout bellworts are up again (no pics). Spotted another adult male five-lined skink with that big red noggin as well as my first bagworm of the year! This species usually retreats into its bag when handled and won't come out until after it's put down but this one seemed particularly curious.

redskink.jpg bag24_sml.jpg

Also found my first new thing of the year: a side-swimmer (scud), I think? Amphipod in any case. Bad pics bc smol and wet.

crust.png

Last edited:
Back