• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

100 Rare Candies Vs. 100 Hours Training

Years
  • Training. Training makes a good Pokemon with good stats. I only use Rare Candy to level up Pokemon I need for my Pokedex. I trained my Blastoise to Lv.100 by battling and now all of his stats above 200. Get another to Lv.100 with Rare Candy and the stats will be worse.

Well I think because if you use only rare candy, you don't get any EV points, you should ev train them first then you can feed them XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2012
    I think it takes the fun out of the game, if your lvl 60 where you should be lvl 40, its not much fun one hitting the trainers now is it .-.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I agree with many others that it takes the fun out of the game. As a rule of thumb, I don't do any tricks like that in any game until after I've beat it. Cheating (too strong a word?) takes the excitement out of the gameplay and even the story. On a replay, though, it's fun to experiment.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'd rather do the training as it gives me a little something to occupy myself with over the weeks and the end result feels more rewarding.

Years
  • I couldn't see myself using 100 Rare Candies on anything, let alone one. First of all, I have to EV train. Have to. Secondly, the fewer the number of Rare Candies used, the more trainers/Pokemon I get to see crushed by my own. And that's always a satisfying thing to see.

damion

Dragon Trainer
    Years
  • i never reached lvl 100 it was never my thing but it seems that things are getting higher in levels as games come out i would use a few candies (like reviving or to catch up) but i like the battles and time

Years
    • Age 29
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    I think it kinda ruins things if people cheat cos then I'll come up all happy and say "I spent a whole 2 weeks raising all these Pokemon" and other peoples will go "Meh... Probably cheated like the rest of them" :'(
    But I don't usually battle anyways cos I'm a busy bee these days & I need to fiddle with the internet every time & unfiddle with it when I'm done XD

Years
  • I train them.
    I do EV and IV training so, I know that the one I actually raise will be good enough. I don't mind putting in the hours to train it up because there is a big satisfaction boost from doing it.​

Evocal

El. Psy. Congroo.
    Years
  • Obviusly, the training it's more better than the rare candies, but why? Simply:

First, if you use the Rare candies you don't up the Ev's, and it means what he will have less stats

Second, if you don't train with one pokemon you won't know a strategy because you don't have any experience with this pokemon and you don't know how to use it.

And last, this breaks the rol and objective of Pokemon -_-

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The only time I've EV-trained was to max out the Speed of a future Eelektross. Apart from that, I've never really cared about IVs/EVs/AnyVs for that matter. If given the opportunity to use unlimited Rare Candies, I'd probably use a large number of them, but certainly not all of them. As much as part of the fun of Pokemon is training critters, incessant grinding can get ridiculously tedious after a while: at that point, that's when the Rare Candies would come in very useful.

Years
  • Obviusly, the training it's more better than the rare candies, but why? Simply:

First, if you use the Rare candies you don't up the Ev's, and it means what he will have less stats

Second, if you don't train with one pokemon you won't know a strategy because you don't have any experience with this pokemon and you don't know how to use it.

And last, this breaks the rol and objective of Pokemon -_-

ahah yeah, it's like buying food and not eat it or something like that... Just isn't as fun as it is. Btw, I heard in Black/white you can train much faster. Is that true?

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I've never used any cheat devices, I trained all my Pokemon the hard way, when I trade them off, other people who train their Pokemon the 'easy' way also clone theirs before the trade, its just like they get a free Pokemon! I hope Nintendo could have some way to counter hacking devices...

ahah yeah, it's like buying food and not eat it or something like that... Just isn't as fun as it is. Btw, I heard in Black/white you can train much faster. Is that true?

Yep, they don't even have to battle a single Pokemon, they could just hack infinite number of Vitamins and 'wings' which can increase your Pokemons stats and aren't capped.
    For example, one can use 10 Proteins to increase Att EV to 100, then use 152 Muscle Wings to reach 252 Att EV's, then finally use 99 Rare Candies if it was a bred Pokemon then Voila! You have a battle ready Pokemon.

For people like me, breed Pokemon, buy amount of Vitamins needed, fight X amount of Pokemon which will give me EV's, then give the Pokemon an EXP. Share and train at the Elite Four, once it's strong enough, solo the elite four with it until its Level 100.

Last edited:

fuz

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    I train my Pokemon to around level 60 or 70 and then I generally stop playing.

After completing RBY and GSC I've never had the same eagerness to 'Catch Them All' or level them all!

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Regarding the whole EV thing - using 100 Rare Candies doesn't just mean your Pokemon isn't "EV trained", but that it gets none of the EV stat points it would get from battles otherwise. The poor thing'd be severely handicapped, with stats across the board significantly lower than others of its species trained through battles, EV trained or not. I mean, if it gets all its EVs first and then you break out the Rare Candies that works, but otherwise it just kind of cripples the Pokemon's stats entirely, and levels are meaningless without the stats to back them up.

If I had an unlimited supply of Rare Candies I'd probably abuse it a little while grinding Pokemon up for the Battle Subway or Wifi, but battles are a lot more fun... not to mention they're the entire point of the Pokemon video game series. Leveling things up isn't so bad anyways, especially now in BW with the easily-accessible Lucky Egg and Audinos hanging out on almost every route.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Training for me please, even if it takes a long tim (not that I do it much these days anyways, but!). Mashing A several times for rare candies just sounds plain boring and unrewarding, really.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd rather do 100 hours of training since it's more legit then using 100+ Rare Candies because I feel like that's cheating. However, occasional Rare Candies fine but not 100.

Evoslingerr

III Generation Enthusiast
    Years
  • I find this very interesting, and reminds me of another problem I've seen before. Whenever you fight in a competitive round you'll usually find people buffed up with legendaries. Most of them shiny, which irremediably identifies them as being illegal (it is amazingly difficult to get a shiny, let alone it be a legendary). The truth is that it will only become harder with time to fight with the Pokémon you like in a competitive status with other trainers and win.

Will my Pidgeotto, Nidorino, and Sandslash prevail in battle against an (possibly illegal, shiny) Arceus or Darkrai? Probably not, not even if my pokes where very specifically EV trained. However, I think people must make a choice. Either we enjoy the game and play it the best way we can in a fair and legal way, fighting with the Pkmn we like and not only the most powerful we can find, or we simply grab an Action Replay card and enter God Mode since the very beginning of the game. Either way, people have the right to choose what they prefer... You just stick with the people that think in the same way yo do.

Years
  • I know when I post this that I'm one of the very few people who battle competitively and spend all that time levelling up my PKMN. I do, however, think that it is worth it. It sounds tupid and cheesy, but I actually kind of enjoy IV and nature breeding and EV training because you do get to see the PKMN grow. I still spend a few minutes whenever I finish ranking up a PKMN to Lv. 100 just to look at the stats that I spent so much time into. So of course it annoys me whenever I battle and see that my opponent has choosen to RNG/Gen/Sav/anything else.I grudgingly see the appeal though.

Back