• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2009 Influenza A (H1N1) Outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    The highschool I plan on going to's Spanish Class went to Mexico or something for a class trip and now the school is closed 'cause some kids have caught the Swine Flu. Hope they're okay.

This is in New York City, by the way.

Years
    Update: WHO raises swine flu alert level

The World Health Organization (WHO) has raised its alert level over swine flu from three to four - two steps short of declaring a full pandemic.

Spoiler:

Eh Just Posting updates. Probably overblown though.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Can't get it from eating pig, the virus dies when exposed to 70degrees Celsius.
    Lol sarcasm. (Actually, I don't eat pig meat - I find it... well, disgusting...)

I think it's a good idea to be cautious, however. With things like this, it's better to be safe than sorry. But the surgical masks will wait for me, thank you very much ^^

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    This is so bad. :(
    I live in Mexico City, the root of the problem, I guess...
    I'm on my house... I want go out like in 2 weeks...
    School is suspended nationally from last Thrusday to 6th May...
    This is really bad... But hopefully I won't get sick if I stay at home... :D

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    There was this High School, St. Fracis, or something like that, here in New York City where 8 people wer infected. Im taking ultra care of my hygeine from now on. I'm scared silly.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Nothing here in Michigan, but Ohio is a bit too close for comfort. Also, considering that my friends that sit near me in AP US History all went to Mexico on a trip then complained about being sick ._.

Maybe it's a coincedence. Maybe it's not. Who knows...

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    There was this High School, St. Fracis, or something like that, here in New York City where 8 people wer infected. Im taking ultra care of my hygeine from now on. I'm scared silly.

Yup, St.Francis Prep. D: I know a couple of people who go there, including one of my best friend's sister.. Really hope everyone is gonna be okay. This is scary.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    An hour ago, I was evacuated from my school, like every other student in the country, until we resume classes on May 7th.

Say what? I didn't hear about this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and we have pigs here on campus. o_O

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    It still isn't confirmed whether the virus comes from pigs, dude. Tests are being made on meat, but the Swine Flu is probably a type of Bird Flu that morphed in pigs, yet not necessarily comes from them nor they are the cause of the outbreak.
    It's a possibility, though, and they could be carriers if nothing else. It originated in pigs, at least.

Years
    It's a possibility, though, and they could be carriers if nothing else. It originated in pigs, at least.

Pigs are just particularly susceptible, it doesn't mean it originated from them. It's different; there was a virus on birds, and pigs serve as intermediaries between them and humans because the virus, by overtaking them, adapts better and becomes more efficient at infecting mammals.

Pigs can also serve as some kind of hosts where the virus undergoes genetic changes and becomes a new organism. That's why there is no vaccine known yet to the new type of virus.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    There has always being swine flu in pigs. It's being in us too and it's normally not fatal. But the flu has mutated into a new strand.

Years
    On topic: More countries confirm swine flu

2009 Influenza A (H1N1) Outbreak

CONFIRMED & SUSPECTED CASES
    Mexico: 152 suspected deaths from swine flu - 20 confirmed cases
    US: 50 confirmed cases
    Canada: 6 confirmed cases
    New Zealand - 3 confirmed cases
    UK - 2 confirmed cases
    Spain: 2 confirmed cases
    Israel - 1 confirmed case
    Countries with suspected cases: Brazil, Guatemala, Peru, Australia, and South Korea, and seven EU states

Students infected

In New Zealand, Health Minister Tony Ryall confirmed that at least three students who had travelled to Mexico were suffering from swine flu.

Israel's first patient with confirmed swine flu, a 26-year-old man who recently returned from Mexico, is said to be making a good recovery.
    Fifty cases have been confirmed in the US and six in Canada.
    Two swine flu cases have been confirmed in the UK and two in Spain.
    The EU health commissioner said on Tuesday that patients were also under observation in Denmark, Sweden, Greece, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and the Irish Republic.
    Tests are being carried out on individuals or groups in Brazil, Guatemala, Peru, Australia and South Korea.
    A number of countries in Asia, Latin America and Europe have begun screening airport passengers for symptoms, while Germany's biggest tour operator has suspended trips to Mexico.

'Decline in cases'

In Mexico, swine flu has been confirmed in 20 of the 152 known deaths.

Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said all of those who had died were aged between 20 and 50. Infections among young healthy adults are a characteristic of past pandemics.
    He noted that the number of new cases reported by Mexico's largest government hospitals had declined during the past three days: from 141 on Saturday to 119 on Sunday and 110 on Monday.
    In almost all swine flu cases outside Mexico, people have been only mildly ill and have made a full recovery.
    It's probably going to plateau at the end of the week. ^_^
    So no need to panic. :P

Last edited:

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    i thought i was safe...

but then falkirk ( the city i live in) two people came back from mexico and are really bad

AND IM SO NEAR THEM...

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
    I always knew Mexico would kill us all, sure glad I live in Texas (sarcasm).

But i'm not to worried about it, I have a high immunity and have never gotten any flu in my life. Still, I now officially hate Mexico more than I did before :3.

Peanutz

So i herd you leik peanutz?
    Years
    I am so damn glad I don't eat pig meat whatsoever.

You can't get it from eating pig meat. It's a virus spreading from Mexico to the USA, so it doesn't matter whether you eat pork or not, there is still a chance of you catching it.

Scientists will hopefully find enough facts and study this disease enough to come up with a quarantine. There is always the possibility of the Swine Flu becoming mutated and obtaining the power to spread faster.

Even though it isn't always fatal, it is dangerous, and could be more so in the future. If it lasts long, that is.

Last edited:

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    Yeah, I've seen how horrible it's gotten. The average Mexican has a 40% chance of getting the flu. Once they've gotten it, there's AT LEAST a 10% chance they'll die. Scary, huh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back